C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

PCV system on a 93 LT1 w/ procharger. What have you all done to it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 12:37 PM
blackedout1
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV system on a 93 LT1 w/ procharger. What have you all done to it?

Im adding an ATI procharger to a 93 LT1.

The instructions say to remove the PCV valve, put a 90 degree elbow in to it, connect it to the valve breather tube and run it into the air cleaner (or to a catch can).

Obviously, the point is to not pressurize the crankcase during boost.

Some people have retained their PCV system, but put a check ball in place.

What have you all done?

What are the advantages/disadvantages to retaining the PCV valve?
Old 04-24-2009, 02:51 PM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Your PCV system keeps your engine clean and also limits emissions. It's a good system since it helps prevent sludge etc. by purging the crankcase with fresh air while under light load. There is no loss of power with a PCV system.

The problem with the PCV system when going with a blower or turbo is that the PCV valve will pass some boost to the crankcase @ WOT. That's NG as we obviously want the least amount of crankcase pressure (less crankcase pressure = more power).

The simple solution is to put an in-line checkvalve in series with the PCV valve. The issue with doing this on an LT1/LT4 is you have to add a long 3/8" id hose which is 'ugly'. Consequently I made a billet PCV valve for the LT1/LT4 with an internal checkvalve. Only problem with it is the cost: $49.00.

I also sell 3/8" barbed hose checkvalves for $5 (up to 10 psig) and $15 (no limit) that you can use if you want to deal with the long hose.

Best regards, greg
Old 04-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Vette Fast
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give Blower Works a call. Greg will give you your potential options and allow you to decide what you want. I have had outstanding dealings with Greg and he stands behind his products and work. My experiences dealing with Greg have been very educational in the supercharging arena.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:23 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Greg's an excellent resource.

Be sure to replumb the vacuum assist to the brakes as well.

Get notified of new replies

To PCV system on a 93 LT1 w/ procharger. What have you all done to it?

Quick Reply: PCV system on a 93 LT1 w/ procharger. What have you all done to it?