C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Took our project 95 Vortech s/c car on the dyno.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Stanley Distribution
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Took our project 95 Vortech s/c car on the dyno.

We took our Vortech V2 sq supercharged 95 on the dyno to get a base line run to see where we stand, and where we need to go.

We did 3 runs with about 5 min cool down between them.

Our best numbers were around 250 whp, 317 ft lbs of torque.

A/F ratio numbers were very rich, around 10.8 to 1.

Elevation is 4400 ft asl.

Max boost was 10/11 psi.

We did notice that the coolant temps were pegged max hot after the 3 runs, so we may have cooling issue to work around. I guess better to find in on the dyno than when it exploded at the road course.

Setup on the car is pretty basic. V2 SQ supercharger, some sort of smaller pully, boost works alchy/water injection, FMU, crappy exhaust shop exhust (looks like stock cats & headers). Crane cams coil & ignition box with retard.

We suspect the car may have larger injectors beacuse of just how rich it was at 11 lbs of boost.

I think we will start off with replacing plugs, wires, optispark and swapping out the FMU for a good fuel pressure regulator and posibly some logging software/ LT1 edit or tuner cat.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:03 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanley Distribution
I think we will start off with replacing plugs, wires, optispark and swapping out the FMU for a good fuel pressure regulator and posibly some logging software/ LT1 edit or tuner cat.
Good idea, there's an extra 100-200 HP in there somewhere. You also might want to double check how much the timing is getting retarded. Typically it going to be 1*/psi or less.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:04 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

interesting information. I was curious:

what type of dyno...

10/11 psi is A LOT on a stock bottom-ended LT-x... several people mentioned to me that my 9psi would be "short lived". Of course the alky might be allowing you to run more boost.

My combination was runned REALLY hot until I got a tune, kick the fans on sooner, adjust the timing etc.

numbers are definately low for that combo. keep us posted on the progress.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:07 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

check the fuel pressure too (this is why i don't like FMU's, none have ever worked for me -have owned 3 different supercharged cars...) ditch the FMU, get 60# injectors, and get the right tune for the combo... several people talked in to 60#'s when i originally anticipated 42#'s... glad i went with the 60#'s
Old 05-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Stanley Distribution
Melting Slicks

Dyno was a dynojet 248.

The retard box for the ignition is not based on boost, it's one of the units with crappy **** that it mounted in the passanger compartment.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:59 PM
hgh pwr
Racer

sorry but a stock lt1 will dyno around that.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:22 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

stanley- typically these boost retard boxes (especially with the **** inside the car or whatever) has a vaccum line running to the actual box itself.

my MSD 6-BTM is actually recognizing boost, and with every psi of boost, i can retard the timing 1,2 or 3 degrees with a max of 15 degrees.

I am almost sure the Crane systems (supplied with vortech kits) has the same deal.

*****edit*****

my timing is pulled with the dyno tune, and my box is sitting at 0 retard
Old 05-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Jonnymac
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Something is very wrong. My bolt on 95 made 310hp and 340tq at the rear but not at 4000+ feet.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:36 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

this will sound hilarious, but my s/c 383 started, not too far north of those horsepower number when I bought it in albuquerque. It felt like a 14 second car. You're missing about 150 hp in the tune on that thing. Bring up the a/f, check the timing. You can swap out the disk in the fmu to bring up the a/f. That'a $30 fix. They have a kit with a bunch of discs for $50 from vortech.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Stanley Distribution
Melting Slicks

The elevation does kill the fun, cars run about 1 second slower in the 1/4 mile compared to sea level.

Don't get me wrong, we knew the car was not putting down the power it should.

We're just going to slowly work on sorting things out, fixing, cleaning up ect. Some of the wiring done for the alchy/water injection looks like crap so I'm going to take some time and clean up all the aftermarket wiring, ect.

Since we've got it, I've already cleaned out the K&N filter, got the alchy/water injection working and hit the dyno with it to see where the air to fuel ratio was.

We've got a case of nice synthetic oil & filter sitting here wating to get changed.

We're going to try to hit the track on Wednesday and see what it runs in the 1/4 in this condition. Then we'll have a baseline to benchmark any improvements.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:12 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

also, is it pig rich all the way through the curve or just into boost? With that alky system kicking on, you can go a little leaner and go with a a little more timing.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:02 AM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It could also be clogged cats. If it's been running rich like that for awhile, and it's still got the stock cats on it, I would be looking there. The over heating issue points that way IMO as well.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:34 PM
simple green
Racer

I'd like to see some pics.

Just a thought, has your pcm "injector size" been corrected for the larger injectors?
Old 05-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are in fact seeing steady 10-11psi of boost and your dyno# is 250rwhp. There is something very wrong with your setup. There are so many variable can be wrong with it, that you will need to find out why.
A stock LT1 with that much of boost, even without any tuning, the car should pull like a monster. You will feel the power different from a stock setup to a supercharged setup. The different is day and night.

I would suggest you to do the following
1) check and verify your fuel pressure is rock solid
2) check and verify your ignition system is good. Opti, coil, plugs/wires
3) check and verify your cat is not plugged up.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:27 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

well, what if a cylinder is out? it is possible? check for that. maybe the 10-11psi was too much?
Old 05-24-2009, 10:42 PM
rhanselman
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you close to Las Vegas?

I have a guy that can tune for you. Our single turbo with 8.5 lbs of boost on stock 100k mile motor was 408/437 rwhp/tq. Prior to boost it was 260/268.

Cheers,
Ron
Old 05-25-2009, 02:29 AM
Stanley Distribution
Melting Slicks

Brand new MSD opti, Taylor Pro Race wires W/boot protectors are sitting here waiting to go on. We need a chance to finish up ordering in stuff (including some more shielding for the plug wires because of how they route so close to the exhaust manifold), and decide on a water pump and it will get all the parts installed.

We discovered the car has a Caroll tune on the ECU, so my guess would be that the tune plus Vortech FMU are leading to our pig rich conditions.

The cars overheating problem is getting worse, so I'm going to spend some time flushing the system, bleeding it, ect.

Get notified of new replies

To Took our project 95 Vortech s/c car on the dyno.

Quick Reply: Took our project 95 Vortech s/c car on the dyno.