C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Mirror removal w/o torch and sawsall?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:32 PM
c4sailor
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mirror removal w/o torch and sawsall?

Any recommendations on how to get the mirrors off? I have the doors opened up but not disassembled inside. I need to remove the mirrors in prep for paint. Problem is that there is a wire harness clip that is attached to the inside of the door and its nipples dont stick through the door panel. So, how do I get that clip to release so I can pull the wire loom out of the mirror mounting hole? Ideas?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:44 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

I just pulled both mirrors off my 95. I used a flat screwdriver to open the plastic clip to let the wiring harness loose. Yes, it was a PITA. I haven't put them back on yet.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:21 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If I remember right, that wire goes through a clip. You will have to loosen the inner metal door skirt to get to the clip. As I believe that the wire is clipped above the bose pod on my 89. What year is yours?

I may still have a pic somewhere, I'll have to look on one of my SD cards as I couldn't see what I was doing. So, I stuck my camera in and took some macro pics so I could figure out how to undo the clip.

Though, you would have to loosen the inner metal door skirt anyways as that wire has a loop in it before it gets clipped so it doesn't interfere with the window.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:35 PM
c4sailor
Pro

Josh: Not sure I follow re: the plate you are talking about.

Mine is an 87. The clip in question is above the Bose Speaker enclosure box. Tried to go in that way but the Bose Box is "welded" in there with some kind of white sealant so it didn't want to budge and I didn't want to force it.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:20 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

I used a putty knife to cut the white stuff. Pushed the speaker back out of the way. Then you can get your hand in there a little better. Of course I'm still not sure how I'll get it back together.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:29 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by c4sailor

Mine is an 87. The clip in question is above the Bose Speaker enclosure box. Tried to go in that way but the Bose Box is "welded" in there with some kind of white sealant so it didn't want to budge and I didn't want to force it.

I believe he's talking about the aluminum plate mounted to the door that has the door handle and a few other things attached to it. On my 95, I reached past it but it was VERY tight and I had to use a long screwdriver to open the clip and release the harness. I did not remove the clip from the door, I removed the harness from the clip.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:54 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Look here:

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...etteFspk89.htm

You will have to go in through the metal door skirt area. Just follow the above link and loosen the silver metal door skirt, and pull it up or push it in and stick your arm in. You don't need to remove the bose box, but it would give you more room.

The bose box can be removed. Just take the mounting screws off, and push to box in, and it will come unstuck.

I had mine out so I could run wire in the box:

Old 05-15-2009, 10:50 PM
c4sailor
Pro

Helpful! "I Think" ;-0 Think I'll try to use Mr Daves approach first and failing that loosen up the silver panel. Thanks Guys. Always great help o the forum. Don't know how I would have managed this major restor without everyones help and the wisdom of their experiences.

Last edited by c4sailor; 05-15-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:17 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Is your Bose working fine? If not, I figured that would be a good time to run new wire and go aftermarket.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:01 AM
c4sailor
Pro

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
Is your Bose working fine? If not, I figured that would be a good time to run new wire and go aftermarket.
Yes that's OK so I really didn't want to "gut" the doors if I could avoid it but I do have to get the mirrors off for the paint work. Thanks
Old 05-16-2009, 02:18 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Yes that's OK so I really didn't want to "gut" the doors if I could avoid it but I do have to get the mirrors off for the paint work. Thanks
What type of paint are you gonna use, primer and base/clear? And are you gonna strip it?

I plan on getting my 89 painted.

Get notified of new replies

To Mirror removal w/o torch and sawsall?

Quick Reply: Mirror removal w/o torch and sawsall?