C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Interesting Twin Turbo Kit for sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 12:27 AM
Hideki
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interesting Twin Turbo Kit for sale

I was scouring my local Craigslist for anything TPI related when this twin turbo kit popped up. Seller states it's for "an '80s Corvette" and I'm hoping he means a C4. Any one with any insights or info on this?

Old 05-27-2009, 04:03 AM
lil_Mike
Pro

ive seen that thing on there for a while too. it is a pretty interesting setup and thought about buying it a while back. price isnt too bad for it too.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Hideki
Racer

I asked the seller and he said he's "pretty sure it's for a C4" I just asked the seller (via email) when I can come over to check the kit out in person to be 100% sure it's for a C4. This is getting exciting
Old 05-28-2009, 08:09 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

how the hell dose that intercooler work? also look tiny!
Old 05-28-2009, 09:17 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by chuntington101
how the hell dose that intercooler work? also look tiny!
Did you also notice that it has 4 inputs and 1 output?

Actually I think its 1 input and 4 outputs...

I would take my car over there and eyeball if the manifold and turbos will fit. If they do then just redo the downpipes and the IC piping.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Hideki
Racer

Originally Posted by mn_vette

I would take my car over there and eyeball if the manifold and turbos will fit. If they do then just redo the downpipes and the IC piping.
You read my mind , I'm taking my car on saturday to check it out. I was wondering if the outlet on the top of the intercooler was for a BOV, as the kit seems to have no provisions for one otherwise. The intercooler and piping for the kit is definately odd, but if the kit bolts-on that would be awesome (I could always update the piping and get a larger intercooler at a later date after working out all the bugs)
Old 05-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That intercooler looks like some kind of liquid-to-air thing to me. But I could be wrong.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:22 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Old 05-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Baldturbofreak
Drifting

looks a touch on the science project that failed side.
At least you may be able to use the hotside
Old 06-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Hideki
Racer

So I checked out the twin turbo kit and purchased it :o I was intruiged to find out that the kit was not homebrew, it was designed by "Engines by Unser, Santa Ana CA" a shop that was owned by Louie Unser, brother of Indy driver Al Unser. The kit is pretty badass, the downpipes even have removable cut-outs and the intercooler pipes have two extra injectors. The turbochargers have no side-to-side or in-and-out play in the shafts and no cracks around the wastegate flappers. It's gonna be a while before I get around to getting this thing installed, as I still need to work some bugs out of my turbo eclipse, I'll keep everyone posted
Old 06-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Hideki
Racer

I started cleaning the turbo kit and polishing the piping, I've attempted laying out the kit to see what goes where. I've test fit most of the piping and it looks like you get to keep AC with this kit (which'll be nice) I still have no idea where the intercooler mounts (possibly in the cavity in front of the radiator but there's not enough piping?), or what's the deal with the outlet on top (looks like a V-band flange, still think maybe it's for a BOV) anyone with any insight pleeeeaaaassssseeeee let me know :o
Old 06-08-2009, 03:04 AM
Raysur
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool find.

Take some more pics and we can try to help you out with the layout.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:31 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

When you lay it out like that then it looks like the big shinny piece is the cold air intake for the turbos and you will need to stick an air filter on the weird U shaped pipe that probably sits under the radiator shroud.

It looks like the two shinny pipes that you currently have on the throttle body actually go onto the turbo outlets and then go into the intercooler.

The black pipes would then go from the intercooler to the throttle body.

Now for the intercooler....I'm not sure what to tell you there. The giant hole could be for a blow off valve. It would really help to figure out which are the inputs and which are the outputs, or atleast which are grouped together. From looking at the end tank configuration and the direction of the airflow of the core, it really does look like there is 4 inputs and one output.

In the origional photo on the left hand side there are two pipes with green things sticking off the sides of them. What are those? Do you have any better pictures of them?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:06 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you lay it out like that then it looks like the big shinny piece is the cold air intake for the turbos and you will need to stick an air filter on the weird U shaped pipe that probably sits under the radiator shroud.

It looks like the two shinny pipes that you currently have on the throttle body actually go onto the turbo outlets and then go into the intercooler.

The black pipes would then go from the intercooler to the throttle body.

Now for the intercooler....I'm not sure what to tell you there. The giant hole could be for a blow off valve. It would really help to figure out which are the inputs and which are the outputs, or atleast which are grouped together. From looking at the end tank configuration and the direction of the airflow of the core, it really does look like there is 4 inputs and one output.

In the origional photo on the left hand side there are two pipes with green things sticking off the sides of them. What are those? Do you have any better pictures of them?

mn_vette- the green things are fuel injectors that are for the intake track (going to the TB). "similar" to fuel compensation found on the callaway vette'
Old 06-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Hideki
Racer

I originally thought the black pipes were the upper intercooler pipes as well, but when I was test fitting the pipes on the car, the black pipes snaked from the turbo outlets under the car perfectly, so I believe them to be lower intercooler pipes. Those bronze colored pipes have additional injectors on them and I have absolutely no idea where the heck those go, the kit had an "M" shaped pipe with a V-band flange in the middle that was made from the same metal as the bronze colored straight pipes, seeing as they have injectors on them I would think they go somewhere between the intercooler and the throttle body. I'm starting to believe the kit was not 100% complete and some pipes are missing (who knows with a turbo kit thats probably 20 years old) I just can't figure out the intercooler, after playing with it looks like it lays flat, face down although it's an odd intercooler, the craftsmanship on it is pretty amazing, I'll take a few pics of it, someone went to town welding on that thing
Old 06-09-2009, 01:12 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

the large polished piece does looks like the intake for the turbos. I would seriously consider changing out the ackward u-bend.

there are two inlets from the turbos to the TOP of the intercooler. the "black" piping is going to be the pipes that go to the throttle body... not the polished ones. the polished ones are JUST for air inlet (the big piece), and the "discharge tubes" (from turbo to intercooler)- for show.

the black pipes run from bellow the intercooler (probably around the radiator) and to the TB.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:17 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

i think they used two inlet and two outlet, because they couldn't get the appropriate size pipe for a single outlet... this is just based on my opinion BTW- i have no experience with this kit.

without seeing a nice layout of ALL the pieces that you have, it's tough for us to "guess" how the layout is suppose to be.

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting Twin Turbo Kit for sale

Old 06-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Hideki
Racer

The only other piping with the kit was the bronze colored pipes with the injector and the "M" pipe (which now I've included pictures) The bronze pipes are physically larger in diameter than the other pipes with the kit (and the same diameter as the outlets on the interfooler)

^The only other pipes with the kit

^same diameter as the intercooler outlets (or inlets )

^backside of the intercooler

and to make the mysteries of this turbo kit even greater, scrounging through the box of stainless lines were these. They look like prehistoric BOV's, I can make out where the flanges for them used to be but aren't in the kit, and where did they go?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:54 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

OK, here's what's going on with the intercooler. It does lay flat and the two inlets without the silicone connectors are the cold air feed to the intercooler. Those are what actually brings the cooling air.

The connectors with the silicone connectors on them are your intake pipes from the turbos.

The large V-band clamp goes to the brass V-band split and then to the brass pipes with the injectors in them(like in the first picture, not the second). Then you just need to connect the brass injector pipes to the throttle body by what ever pipes will fit that.

What are the actual dimensions of the intercooler? You'll probably be just fine if you are running 6-8 psi, but anything more and you'll likely want to upgrade to something bigger and vertically mounted.

Did they give you something that will control the extra injectors? You are going to need some kind of fuel supply to them as well as an electronic controller of some sort if you plan on using them.

Last edited by mn_vette; 06-09-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Hideki
Racer

So definately I'm missing a few pipes with the kit (no big deal really) looks like I need two pipes from the turbo outlets to the intercooler, and I need two pipes from the intercooler to the throttle-body pipes. I'm assuming the missing pipes from the intercooler to the TB had the flanges for those archaeic BOV's

^The fuel components that came with the kit

My major question now is, where the heck does the intercooler mount?

Quick Reply: Interesting Twin Turbo Kit for sale