C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Custom mount for lightweight batteries

Old 06-05-2009, 02:38 PM
ultraviolet70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Custom mount for lightweight batteries

I recently purchased a lightweight Braille battery to compliment my current build (easy way to knock 20lbs+ off the front of your car). My problem was how to mount it, you spend a $150 on a battery then they want another $60-$70 for a mount that you still have to customize to your application.

So I decided to fab my own, I already had all the materials so it didn't cost me anything but time. I cut out pieces from a sheet of 1/8" alumnum drilled necessary holes, beveled the edges and gave it a brushed look with a die grinder. I made the uprights from 1/2" aluminum rod and drilled and tapped the ends to accept the retaining stainless hardware (only thing I actually had to buy was 2 of thte allen bolts for this so I have less than $2 in this)

Let me know what you think or if you have any questions.

Braille B2015 only 15 lbs and considerably smaller

Some various pics of the mount, last one is a mock-up out of the car with the battery installed, it fits tight enough with the bolts run down all the way that it isn't crushing the battery, but it holds it tight enough I can violently shake it and the battery doesn't budge

Old 06-05-2009, 03:19 PM
farscape1a
Racer

that looks awesome! they only thing i would be concerned about regarding the battery is cold cranking amps since the battery is smaller. how is the battery compared to a normal size battery?
Old 06-05-2009, 03:36 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Nice setup. I'm a Libra and for me things have have to be even and balanced. Why is the top bracket crooked?
Old 06-05-2009, 03:51 PM
ultraviolet70
Drifting

Originally Posted by farscape1a
that looks awesome! they only thing i would be concerned about regarding the battery is cold cranking amps since the battery is smaller. how is the battery compared to a normal size battery?
I've done alot of research on these and there's been very little negative feedback on these even when used in much higher performance apps than I'm using.

Pulse Cranking Amps 1067
Cranking Amps 690
Cold Cranking Amps 425

These specs aren't actually that far off of some of the lower end full size batteries recommended for the Vette (actually the pulse rating is higher on the Braille)

This is also going to be a very limited use car and when in the garage it is always on a battery tender. Plus it's a 6-speed so I can always pop-start
Old 06-05-2009, 03:54 PM
ultraviolet70
Drifting

Originally Posted by 383vett
Nice setup. I'm a Libra and for me things have have to be even and balanced. Why is the top bracket crooked?
The way the braces/reinforment ribs on the underside of the OEM tray are positioned, I didn't want to do too much modification to the factory tray in case I ever have to go back to an OE style battery, as of right now all I'd have to do is remove the two allen bolts coming from the underside and the aluminum tray lifts right out of OE tray and the only evidence of anything is two small 1/4" holes in the plastic tray.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:11 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by ultraviolet70
The way the braces/reinforment ribs on the underside of the OEM tray are positioned, I didn't want to do too much modification to the factory tray in case I ever have to go back to an OE style battery, as of right now all I'd have to do is remove the two allen bolts coming from the underside and the aluminum tray lifts right out of OE tray and the only evidence of anything is two small 1/4" holes in the plastic tray.
Gotcha. I knew it couldn't be because your measurements were off.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:42 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a really nice looking setup! I plan on getting a Braille when/if my battery ever dies.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:14 PM
ultraviolet70
Drifting

Originally Posted by LT4POWR
That's a really nice looking setup! I plan on getting a Braille when/if my battery ever dies.
Thanks.
I should know within the next month (hopefully the engine is in and running by then) how it performs and I'll post results.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 367 Likes on 303 Posts

Mine started fine in -10° below!

Old 06-06-2009, 02:33 PM
ultraviolet70
Drifting

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Mine started fine in -10° below!
That's good news, and I don't think I'll ever have mine out when it's that cold so I should be good to go.

Thanks for the input

Get notified of new replies

To Custom mount for lightweight batteries

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom mount for lightweight batteries