C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

89 with a problem..help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Redline7g
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 89 with a problem..help!

I have a friend with a problem and it sounds like a fuel pump issue to me. See description below. Any suggestions?

It is a 1989 tuned port that is 100% stock and only has 14,500 miles on it..

This is what happened. We drove the car last fall and filled it with gas. We got about 2 miles from the gas station and it died. After quite a few attemps at restarting the engine it finally restarted. We drove it home and it seemed fine. We added some water dispersant into the fuel and drove it a bit. seemed fine. Our son [actually it is his car] then drove it during the late fall and it died again. He finally ran the battery down and had to get a jump. As soon as he cranked it, it restarted and he drove it home. We then purchased a fuel pressure guage and a book and checked the fuel pressure. It was in spec`s but on the low side. We changed the fuel filter and the pressure came up to the high side of the spec`s but the engine will only idle. As soon as you try to accelerate the engine it bogs and dies. It will not drive at this time. we do not have the knowlege or proper tools to check it. So, we [ our son ] need a good tuned port mechanic that will make house calls. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give us, Sincerely, Walter K. Johnson Greenwood, IN.

Last edited by Redline7g; 06-18-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:21 AM
dhags
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 89 also. Just from what you say in your post, my first thought is the sock in the tank might be clogged.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:42 AM
floridamale
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you still have the pressure tester reconnect it and see how long it holds pressure after you shut it off. Also post the readings at idle and see what happens when you give it some throttle.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Redline7g
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. I've forwarded your responses on to the owner and will let you know when I hear back.

Get notified of new replies

To 89 with a problem..help!

Quick Reply: 89 with a problem..help!