C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Plexiglass Top

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 03:58 AM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Ebay has done nothing but accelerate the path toward bad commerce. If you consider their feedback system a useful tool, I'd disagree.

Everything and I mean everything possible is done to discourage anyone from placing bad feedback about anyone. And, the amount of text allowed for feedback is a JOKE!

Try contacting eBay for a solution to a problem. That's also a JOKE! Someone posted my email address in an auction. eBay wouldn't remove it.

eBay sucks and anyone who thinks it a good way of doing business will wake up someday and think WTF was I thinking.

I applaud the CF from banning any direct links to that joke of a site.
dang! angry? for what?
Old 06-26-2009, 01:04 PM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD HABT
Greetings All,

About six months ago, I purchased a new top from my local Corvette shop. The top has developed lines and is separating from the frame; not to mention it leaks. I was told, "This happens because of poor methods of manufacture". My issue is that I paid for the top with money that was not "of poor manufacture" why should I have an inferior product. The proprietor of the Corvette shop tells me I will have to ship the top back to the manufacturer. The top is rather heavy and no one wants to supply the proper box for shipping. The manufacturer is Dave in Chicago. He is giving me a difficult time because he swears his products are perfect and my expectations for restoration are too high. If his products are so wonderful, why are my expectations too high? A top that that has no lines and remains in one piece, shame on me for the asking.

Trouble is I need a top for my BAD HABT. I do not mind paying for quality products; just give me a quality product. Does anyone have and suggestions?

Lori

Lori, please fill out your bio. No idea what year you have. Guessing this is a C4?

FYI, two ugly facts

#1 The acrylic tops crack. Lift the car with a clear top on, and you risks cracking it.

#2 It is a structural member. Yup a piece of plastic in a frame. Eerie Huh?

#2 is why #1 happens. If yours cracked it could be for reasons other than Melrose?

Lots of reasons, Like jacking the car up to change a tire? Or Joe Bucks garage does not know and snacthes that bad boy to change oil?

Happens. Once cracked they right to Hades.

Imagine what happens when you run around without the thing “in”?

TJM
Old 06-26-2009, 03:53 PM
BAD HABT
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings,

The top never cracked. It had lines in it and it separated from the frame. Since the top was installed, the car has not been out much or had other work as you described.

I thought I did fill out the bio. Yes, its a C4, 1985. Thanks for the information.

Originally Posted by TJM
Lori, please fill out your bio. No idea what year you have. Guessing this is a C4?

FYI, two ugly facts

#1 The acrylic tops crack. Lift the car with a clear top on, and you risks cracking it.

#2 It is a structural member. Yup a piece of plastic in a frame. Eerie Huh?

#2 is why #1 happens. If yours cracked it could be for reasons other than Melrose?

Lots of reasons, Like jacking the car up to change a tire? Or Joe Bucks garage does not know and snacthes that bad boy to change oil?

Happens. Once cracked they right to Hades.

Imagine what happens when you run around without the thing “in”?

TJM
Old 06-26-2009, 04:28 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Ebay has done nothing but accelerate the path toward bad commerce. If you consider their feedback system a useful tool, I'd disagree.

Everything and I mean everything possible is done to discourage anyone from placing bad feedback about anyone. And, the amount of text allowed for feedback is a JOKE!

Try contacting eBay for a solution to a problem. That's also a JOKE! Someone posted my email address in an auction. eBay wouldn't remove it.

eBay sucks and anyone who thinks it a good way of doing business will wake up someday and think WTF was I thinking.

I applaud the CF from banning any direct links to that joke of a site.
Greg is right ebay sux.
I used to sell computers and parts on Ebay.
I dont anymore, They SUX.
They have given all the power to the buyers.
Answer this, how many idiots or cheats do you know? Any one of them can buy something, lie or break it and eBay will hold the seller accountable.
When you buy eBay protection, they hold the Sellers money for 21 days or until the buyer leaves positive feedback.

True story:
I sold a very expensive phone on eBay. The buyer left positive feedback so i got my money. The next month the buyer filed a complaint wanting all the money back because the battery would no longer hold a charge. I offered him $6( what a new batt cost on eBay). He escalated the claim and eBay took my money from pay-pal and payed the guy back the full amount + let him keep the phone. I called an pulled the lawyer card ( I have prepaid lawyer so its free). They payed me back but the idiot got a free phone.

Last edited by ch@0s; 06-26-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:54 PM
ChrisWhewell
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD HABT
Greetings All,

About six months ago, I purchased a new top from my local Corvette shop. The top has developed lines and is separating from the frame; not to mention it leaks. I was told, "This happens because of poor methods of manufacture". My issue is that I paid for the top with money that was not "of poor manufacture" why should I have an inferior product. The proprietor of the Corvette shop tells me I will have to ship the top back to the manufacturer. The top is rather heavy and no one wants to supply the proper box for shipping. The manufacturer is Dave in Chicago. He is giving me a difficult time because he swears his products are perfect and my expectations for restoration are too high. If his products are so wonderful, why are my expectations too high? A top that that has no lines and remains in one piece, shame on me for the asking.

Trouble is I need a top for my BAD HABT. I do not mind paying for quality products; just give me a quality product. Does anyone have and suggestions?

Lori
I still have the orig stock top on my 93 - it's got a 4 inch crack running from center front, towards the center. I pondered buying a new one but also considered the stresses on that thing and concluded that no matter what I buy, chances are good it's going to experience a crack, just due to the design of the vehicle. I'm not convinced its even possible to make a lightweight top that won't eventually fail. Lucky for me I live in the central Texas desert. If I lived where there was more rain, etc., I'd probably sell the car and get one with a ragtop. Just my opinion and maybe not helpful per your request, but another data point for consideration.

Quick Reply: Plexiglass Top