C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 noise troubleshoot - HELP! wheel, bearing, axle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 01:30 PM
DWC4
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default C4 noise troubleshoot - HELP! wheel, bearing, axle?

I've tried to read through the many other threads on this but there's such a mix. Here's the deal. 150K miles, no racing, drag or track so no big lateral wear on this car, it's a driver.

Drivers side noise, sounds like wheel noise, car must be moving, sounds like rear left area. Really echoes loudly if I get it to happen while right next to a curb or wall on my left side.

Car runs, rolls fine, and this is all intermittent. I have had it up on a rack with two real mechanics, they had all wheels off, inspected all brakes, ran it and turned the wheels while on the rack - nothing. Totally normal. Seems to need to be under load to make the noises.

It started several weeks ago, noise like metal parts being shook in a coffee can, then various other noises, but that stopped. Since then, intermittent scraping noise that if my brakes hadn't all been redone properly recently, new pads, clips, etc and as above just inspected, I'd think it was metal of a worn pad scraping the disc, but it's not and this doesn't happen while braking.

I'll start the car, do a few low speed maneuvers to get out of parking lot, and then soon but not immediately, I'll hear this scrape scrape scrape metal on metal sound, really clearly, passengers hear it too.

Then some other really, really weird noises at times, I mean.. like a police siren almost or, hard to describe, that will only happen rarely and last about 10 seconds.

I swear I think it's haunted.

Emergency brake seems a bit taught, I'm checking that next, but it works fine, releases fine.

I replaced a front passenger wheel bearing last year, this sounds nothing like that did, that noise was constant too. But I may go ahead with a bearing job on both rear. Found some great info on the forum about deals on bearings.

It just doesn't sound like rear end but.. axle stuff? It is driving me, and 3 mechanics who've had the car for days at a time in their shop, drove it, heard the noise but can't find it.. absolutely freakin' batty.

Help.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:50 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

If you have checked the brakes thoroughly, it almost has to be either a Wheel Bearing or U-Joint. From the discription you give I would have to say it sounds more like a bearing... U-joints usuallly make a squeek on every revolution, I have heard bearings make a grinding and a squealing noise and also sound like metel to metel just like a worn out pad on a rotor....WW

Last edited by WW7; 06-21-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:06 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. U-Joint
  2. Bearing
  3. Washer

I bet $100 your mechanics never even heard of this washer.
This washer fits between the rear bearing and the yolk from the half shaft. It is metal with teflon coating.

That washer is part number 14076924 WASHER, WHL SPDL

Search the archives for that PN and you will find detailed threads on its instal and the problems it relates to.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:22 PM
M. Schumacher
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been all through the rear end of mine, so the remaining noise has to be coming from the differential unit. I've been living with it for quite a while so I know all the details.

I would characterize it as a scraping noise, like a rusty ball bearing. Under any load it is continuous. On coast it is periodic. It is also affected by cornering load. It's possible to get it to stop completely by coasting on a level straight road.

I've turned the pinion by hand and it doesn't make a sound. Feels tight and smooth. Have a spare one on the shelf waiting for time to put in. If you can be patient for a couple of weeks I'll give you the results.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:41 PM
DWC4
Racer

Originally Posted by 94z07fx3
  1. U-Joint
  2. Bearing
  3. Washer

I bet $100 your mechanics never even heard of this washer.
This washer fits between the rear bearing and the yolk from the half shaft. It is metal with teflon coating.

That washer is part number 14076924 WASHER, WHL SPDL

Search the archives for that PN and you will find detailed threads on its instal and the problems it relates to.
Nope, that's new info, will do. Thanks 94! Jeez. Glad I asked.

They did inspect the ujoints, driveshaft, etc but thanks for the tip WW7.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:46 PM
DWC4
Racer

Default washer thread with diagrams

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...changed-2.html

Excellent thread now closed but has diagrams, pics, etc. U joints came up in that one as well but this seemed to be the culprit. THANKS that $100 is the best money I've spent lately... (in cyber cash).
DWC4
Old 06-21-2009, 04:39 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my '94 I replaced the u-joints just because I was over 120K miles at the time. I had no noises. But one of the caps on one of the inboard joints had a cracked seal.

On my wife's '92 she complained about a scratching noise. I could not reproduce it. I drove up and down a parking lot next to a warehouse listening to it. I rode with her and asked her to show me how she could get the car to make the noise. No noise. I checked and checked her car's u-joints and they seemed fine. It was only when I pulled them off that I found one cap's needle bearings were toast. Noise gone.

I went back into both cars months later and replaced the washers. Just 'cause.

YMMV but I would only accept a u-joint as being checked out ok now after its caps have been removed and the grease and needles examined.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:45 PM
genoa
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Noise

I have an 85 and have just last week fixed this same problem--universals on drivers side rear--caused a scraping like sound and squeak. I live in Nova Scotia and thus the car is stored at least for 6 months--apparently this is part of the problem--sitting too long. I replaced with greasable joints--about $20.00 each. I had the job hired out-took about 2.5 hours and I had a superb mechanic. Car is now quiet and squeak free. If you do this job at home, have an extra pair of hands just for go-for jobs.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:46 AM
DWC4
Racer

YMMV but I would only accept a u-joint as being checked out ok after its caps have been removed and the grease and needles examined.
Great info, ok, they need to take this thing more apart. THANKS I'll share the results, its' driving me .. crazy.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:33 PM
DWC4
Racer

Default Wheel disassembly thursday, bearing tolerance? Or, a C5...

152K miles, Thursday we'll take the wheels off the back all the way to the spindle and see what's the noise hopefully. Maybe that washer?

Grabbing both wheels when up on a rack, at 6 and 12 positions, the left wheel is tight - that's the side where the noise is - and the right has about a 1/4" guesstimate of definite free play. Zero resistance to rock it just a bit, so that bearing is kaput or on the way? If I'm going to the labor to do the above, I should just replace bearings I guess.

She's getting old, but I'm getting drained a bit, time to let it be someone else's problem I think.

Any deals on C5? What's the best year for the C5? Low mileage over age I know is the priority but are there good and 'better' years for them, where some significant improvement was made?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:16 PM
ks5shooter
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13

Mine was making same noise.It was the top of pads sloppy fit in the calipers, the movement of the pad an calipers was making the noise.Also make sure there is grease on outside of pad.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:37 PM
DWC4
Racer

Check, thanks. Wish it would make the noise while running on the rack but it doesn't, so the little twist/torque of the load when it's rolling is part of the trigger.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:29 PM
DWC4
Racer

Default you were right 94z07fx3, U Joints; Willcox wheel bearings

On my '94 I replaced the u-joints just because I was over 120K miles at the time. I had no noises. But one of the caps on one of the inboard joints had a cracked seal.

On my wife's '92 she complained about a scratching noise. I could not reproduce it. I drove up and down a parking lot next to a warehouse listening to it. I rode with her and asked her to show me how she could get the car to make the noise. No noise. I checked and checked her car's u-joints and they seemed fine. It was only when I pulled them off that I found one cap's needle bearings were toast. Noise gone.

I went back into both cars months later and replaced the washers. Just 'cause.

YMMV but I would only accept a u-joint as being checked out ok now after its caps have been removed and the grease and needles examined.
Unfortunately I learned this only after out of desperation, buying new rear wheel bearings hubs, but I got such a deal - $125 each from Willcox, who continue to be the BEST source of parts and help I've ever found for Corvette's - they were installed when the noise had reach a constant and very scary grinding, scraping level.

Well the noise continued after the bearing install, and it became clear it's the u joints. Like 94z07fx3 said, they were not physically inspected properly. So now I'm replacing the entire rear set of u joints on both sides.

Willcox only has 1 of these wheel bearings left, they swear they're not Chinese or junk despite the low price. I photographed them, they have "A01" stamped on them, no other markings. The customer service guy put these on his vette and has had them for many miles, and they sold a lot of them with no negative feedback.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:44 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Rear wheel bearings, $55 each

315 Boston Post Road • Port Chester, NY 10573
(800) 209-9598
www.MACAUTOPARTS.NET
Old 04-11-2010, 04:54 PM
DWC4
Racer

Update; new clicking noise from rear left wheel, not steady, a bit irregular, much like last year before the U joint fix. Jeeeez. Either a joint is bad, a bearing is bad - all replaced last summer - or something new.

thanks for tip on the $55 bearings, hard to believe but.. who knows, I'll look into it just in case. Wow these are cheap... don't they HAVE to be 'cheap' Chinese versions of shall we say, questionable quality?? I'll give them a call about these, mine from willcox I thought were a deal, these are crazy cheap.

SKU #2723 1984-1996 Corvette Rear Hub Wheel Bearing NEW $39.95

SKU #4762 1991-1996 Chevrolet Corvette FT Hub Wheel Bearing $88.00

315 Boston Post Road • Port Chester, NY 10573
(800) 209-9598
http://www.macautoparts.net/

Last edited by DWC4; 04-11-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 noise troubleshoot - HELP! wheel, bearing, axle?

Quick Reply: C4 noise troubleshoot - HELP! wheel, bearing, axle?