C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Carpet Glue

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 09:55 AM
klkordzi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 3M hi strength 90 (green can) was what I used and got it at Lowes. Spray both the carpet and the piece the carpet will be mounted to. let it dry till tacky, position it and stick it down. Make sure you have it positioned right cause you get one shot at it. Be patient and let the glue set up before you lay down the carpet. The glue works like contact cement and binds to itself.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:03 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jon0108
WHen i did my 86 i used 3m HI Strenght 90. i think thats the one for permanent installations. Spray the tranny tunnel then the carpet pieces, wait a minute then adhere. 2 years later and still good.
I looked at it the other day, and for the most part. The side console carpet was still glued down. The factory used a thick stringy type glue. What type of glue is that?

I did reglue just the corner of the console plate under the carpet on the passenger side. Since it was mostly still glued down, I didn't want to pull it off just to reglue the whole thing.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:11 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by klkordzi
The 3M hi strength 90 (green can) was what I used and got it at Lowes. Spray both the carpet and the piece the carpet will be mounted to. let it dry till tacky, position it and stick it down. Make sure you have it positioned right cause you get one shot at it. Be patient and let the glue set up before you lay down the carpet. The glue works like contact cement and binds to itself.
I ended up stopping by an upholstery shop and brought a tupperware with me. He filled it up and just charged me $1. So, I saved $10+. I used it to reglue the carpet on the sill pieces. I'll also use it to reglue the jute pieces that stick to the side of the sill by the seat belts. As I had pulled them off before I cleaned the floorboards.

He said the 5 gallon jug cost him $98. And said that is what he uses on car headliners. It seems to have worked fine and was real easy to apply vs. trying to spray it and keep from getting glue all over the place.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:15 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Aggravated4life
Actually it wont mist all over.The spray can sprays it very specific.Its not like a can of spray paint that goes everywhere.It will go exactly where you aim it.

That being said,do take care to mask off areas you dont want to get glue on if your aim is wrong.When you get a can of spray glue,use a piece of cardboard outside of the car and practice on it.You will see how it sprays where you aim it.

That aside,when I did the tranny tunnel carpets i took the panels off and set them on a work bench,sprayed the back of the carpet and put the carpet on the panels.This was on an 86 so it may be different.

Then I added some books to provide weight to push down on the capet to the panels,and let it sit all night.Next morning they were dried perfect.Installed them into the car and they never lifted from the bottom.Didnt have to glue them down to the bottom carpet.

If you must glue them to the bottom carpet,get some painters masking tape,the 2 inch kind and put it below to mask off and spray the bottom of the trans tunnel carpet and then stick it down.Put some kind of weights on there so they dont lift and let dry a few hours.

I was at Lowe's and sprayed the 3M 77 and 90 stuff while I was there. And also the cheaper brands. They all sprayed with a mist to me. Much like spray paint I have used.

I do remember reading on the can about spraying something like 4-8 inches away. Which really doesn't seem like a good idea as you will get the stuff all over the place. If I used that stuff, I'd have to spray it as close as I could get it to keep overspray to a minimum.

Quick Reply: Carpet Glue