C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

what does vats disable, and where can i get a 1990 corvette vacuum hose diagram?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 04:27 PM
superc4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does vats disable, and where can i get a 1990 corvette vacuum hose diagram?

what does vats disable, and where can i get a 1990 corvette vacuum hose diagram?
Old 08-30-2009, 04:39 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

VATS will not allow the start enable relay to close so the starter motor will not crank the engine. VATS also will not allow injector pulses, so the engine will not get fuel and run. I don't know where you can get a vacuum hose diagram, but I am sure someone will supply that info shortly.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:33 PM
superc4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfb
VATS will not allow the start enable relay to close so the starter motor will not crank the engine. VATS also will not allow injector pulses, so the engine will not get fuel and run. I don't know where you can get a vacuum hose diagram, but I am sure someone will supply that info shortly.
Right now with the cord unplugged it will crank but the plugs stay dry. Do we just need to plug it in and it should turn over?
Old 08-31-2009, 12:07 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

"Turning over", is a term used to describe the starter motor cranking the engine. If you can unplug the wire from the ign lock that has a 2 pin plug on it and the starter motor will still crank the engine, then someone has installed some kind of defeat for VATS. Also, spark plugs shouldn't be wet from a fuel injected engine. You need a noid light (parts store) or make one with an LED (light emitting diode) in series with a 680 ohm resistor (both available from Radio Shack) and connect it to an unplugged injector and see if it pulses during cranking. This tells you that the injectors are being pulsed by the ECM and VATS is bypassed or at least working properly. If you make a noid light, it must be connected with the correct polarity across the injector socket, try it both ways.
Check for spark with a timing light during cranking and check for correct spark timing. Check for injectors receiving pulses during cranking. Check for fuel pressure and that it holds up for a long time after the ign is off. If you have all of this, then measure compression. Engines require spark and spark at the right time, fuel and air and in the correct ratio and compression in order to start and run.

Get notified of new replies

To what does vats disable, and where can i get a 1990 corvette vacuum hose diagram?

Quick Reply: what does vats disable, and where can i get a 1990 corvette vacuum hose diagram?