C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

AFR195s + Lingenfelter 219 camshaft and 1.6 rr owners,pushrod & lifter question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Default AFR195s + Lingenfelter 219 camshaft and 1.6 rr owners,pushrod & lifter question

Hi i will upgrade from stock tpi,128 heads and zz4 camshaft, 1.5 rockers to a SuperRam,AFR195heads and Lingenfelter 219 camshaft and 1.6 -
Guys,i want to make things right so i have 2 questions :

What's the correct pushrod length ?
Should i upgrade / replace lifters ? i have my lifters for a year and a half...should i use some special lifters ???
Thanks !
Old 09-07-2009, 03:24 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

With those changes you need to measure to get the correct pushrod length.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Yes,i found this :

Mockup Rocker arm
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-66789/

Pushrod Length checker :
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-9001/

i have no idea how to use it and how to measure !

Last edited by Calderone; 09-07-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote=Calderone;i have no idea how to use it and how to measure ![/quote]

Lloyd Elliott sent me this

PR length is something that you need to check to get the EXACT length. Use an adjustable PR checker and start at 7.100" and adjust the length until you get the wear pattern most centered in the valve. Go .050" shorter and watch the wear pattern move. If it gets worse, go .050 longer. It could be anywhere from 7.00 to 7.250 depending on everything done but a 7.100" (Trik Flow 21407100) is what I suggest for people that do not know how (or do not wanna take the time) to do this.

The following is a method of verifying proper valve train geometry. After you have estimated the required pushrod length using a Pushrod Length Checker, use this method to verify that the valve train geometry is correct (using the rockers you are using in your engine):

The first step is to install a solid lifter and an adjustable pushrod. Mark the tip of the valve with a marker

Install your rocker arm and set it up with zero lash.

Rotate the crankshaft clockwise several times. Remove the rocker arm. The contact pattern of the rocker tip will be where the marker has been wiped away from the valve tip. The pattern should be centered on the valve tip, and as narrow as possible. If it is not, experiment with varying the pushrod length to yield the best pattern.

Pushrod Too Long: Notice how the pattern is wide, and shifted to the exhaust side of the valve tip.

Pushrod Too Short: Notice how the pattern is wide, and shifted to the intake side of the valve tip.

Pushrod Length Correct: Notice how the pattern is narrow and is centered on the valve tip.

Lloyd Elliott
972-617-5671
Elliottsportworks.com
Old 09-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Weav thanks ...can you please upload the pics ?
Thanks
Old 09-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Kudos to Weav's vet for sharing this useful information
Im sure LOTS of engines are assembled without checking geometry (by ignorance !!!).-

PR length is something that you need to check to get the EXACT length. Use an adjustable PR checker and start at 7.100" and adjust the length until you get the wear pattern most centered in the valve. Go .050" shorter and watch the wear pattern move. If it gets worse, go .050 longer. It could be anywhere from 7.00 to 7.250 depending on everything done but a 7.100" (Trik Flow 21407100) is what I suggest for people that do not know how (or do not wanna take the time) to do this.

The following is a method of verifying proper valve train geometry. After you have estimated the required pushrod length using a Pushrod Length Checker, use this method to verify that the valve train geometry is correct (using the rockers you are using in your engine):

The first step is to install a solid lifter and an adjustable pushrod. Mark the tip of the valve with a marker

Install your rocker arm and set it up with zero lash.

Rotate the crankshaft clockwise several times. Remove the rocker arm. The contact pattern of the rocker tip will be where the marker has been wiped away from the valve tip. The pattern should be centered on the valve tip, and as narrow as possible. If it is not, experiment with varying the pushrod length to yield the best pattern.

Pushrod Too Long: Notice how the pattern is wide, and shifted to the exhaust side of the valve tip.

Pushrod Too Short: Notice how the pattern is wide, and shifted to the intake side of the valve tip.

Pushrod Length Correct: Notice how the pattern is narrow and is centered on the valve tip.

Lloyd Elliott
972-617-5671
Elliottsportworks.com

what catches my attention is that we have to install a solid lifter ...
Old 09-07-2009, 08:45 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

You might be lucky. When I installed the 195s, the pushrod length was fine. Lifters should be good, just check for wear.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Yes,i want to make sure 100% i'd better measure it
i want it to be just perfect
Old 09-07-2009, 10:01 PM
jimg's'93
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Calderone
what catches my attention is that we have to install a solid lifter ...
I'd say this is because turning the engine over by hand wouldn't keep proper pressure in a hydraulic lifter?
Old 09-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Yes and i guess that will mimic the proper load.-
damn,i will have to buy a solid lifter..i guess they are wider than rollers if i recall correct
Old 09-07-2009, 11:16 PM
85vet
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Calderone,
There is another item you should check when you install the 219 cam. Check to see if 4 degrees advance is already cut into the cam. If it is you want to install the cam at 0 degrees.
Way back when i had the 219, mine was installed at 4 degrees advanced like the cam wants to run, but there was 4 degrees already in the cam and I ended up with 8 degrees advanced and the car never made the power everyone talked about. We discovered this when we upgraded to the 383.
I am not a mechanic so if my wording is incorrect anyone that understands what I am trying to say please feel free to expand on this subject.

Way back when I had the 219 and the superram i was accused of sandbagging when drag racing because the car would not run the et expected from the combo.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:18 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't need a solid lifter. Use a test spring. I prefer them because it allows you to use the same lifters. That way you don't have to worry that the solid lifter is longer or shorter.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Yes and i guess that will mimic the proper load.-
damn,i will have to buy a solid lifter..i guess they are wider than rollers if i recall correct
Old 09-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MK 82
You don't need a solid lifter. Use a test spring. I prefer them because it allows you to use the same lifters. That way you don't have to worry that the solid lifter is longer or shorter.

Those springs goes in the heads ???? i mean replacing the original springs for test ...or goes into the lifter holes ?
Old 09-07-2009, 11:22 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Those springs goes in the heads ???? i mean replacing the original springs for test ...or goes into the lifter holes ?
Use them in place of the valve springs. This keeps the lifter from collapsing.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 85vet
Calderone,
There is another item you should check when you install the 219 cam. Check to see if 4 degrees advance is already cut into the cam. If it is you want to install the cam at 0 degrees.
Way back when i had the 219, mine was installed at 4 degrees advanced like the cam wants to run, but there was 4 degrees already in the cam and I ended up with 8 degrees advanced and the car never made the power everyone talked about. We discovered this when we upgraded to the 383.
I am not a mechanic so if my wording is incorrect anyone that understands what I am trying to say please feel free to expand on this subject.

Way back when I had the 219 and the superram i was accused of sandbagging when drag racing because the car would not run the et expected from the combo.

Good tip ! Now i have some questions :
What's the ET expected for that combo ? I Would like to know

Ok here technical stuff :

"Check to see if 4 degrees advance is already cut into the cam. If it is you want to install the cam at 0 degrees.
Way back when i had the 219, mine was installed at 4 degrees advanced like the cam wants to run, but there was 4 degrees already in the cam and I ended up with 8 degrees advanced and the car never made the power everyone talked about"

Does this happen with the 219 cam only ? How can avoid that mistake ?
thanks
Old 09-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Use them in place of the valve springs. This keeps the lifter from collapsing.
i'd rather use the solid lifter route,i won't be dissasembling those AFR's!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:29 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

i'd rather use the solid lifter route,i won't be dissasembling those AFR's!
Your choice. We are talking about swapping one spring.

Get notified of new replies

To AFR195s + Lingenfelter 219 camshaft and 1.6 rr owners,pushrod & lifter question

Old 09-07-2009, 11:30 PM
jimg's'93
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heck, I didn't know these existed. Thanks MK!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Your choice. We are talking about swapping one spring.
I appreciate the advice,but that means with the heads in place,that means ...compressed air ...the rope ..etc
that's why id rather upgrade to AFR's instead of changing retainers of my 128's ...all this upgrade begun because i couldn't install 1.5 roller rockers on my 128 heads because the rotators made interference.-
One day i promised,if i have to take off the heads....i will upgrade.-
Old 09-07-2009, 11:59 PM
ultraviolet70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you using new head bolts? I imagine you are going to. Then checking of the correct push rod length means you can swap to test springs on the bench just as I did and no compressed air or rope trick is necessary.

Quick Reply: AFR195s + Lingenfelter 219 camshaft and 1.6 rr owners,pushrod & lifter question