C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone removed the front skid bars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 375 Likes on 311 Posts

Default Anyone removed the front skid bars?

Those large chunks of aluminum under the nose. I'm thinking of removing them for extra weight. I've never hit anything with them and this is on my race car. It looks like there are bars to them from the K member which can also be tossed. Anyone else done so?
Old 09-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Road Agent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditch um! Probably bring a few buck at the scrap yard. GM put a lot of unnecessary part on these cars!: thumbs:
Old 09-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by Road Agent
GM put a lot of unnecessary part on these cars!
No kidding! I've unbolted a ton of extra brackets and fasteners, wire holders, etc.

I might look into using the openings there as brake duct scoop locations. Since there will already be a hole in the bottom of the bumper to patch or use for cooling.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:20 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Never seen it done since it appears to hold the bumper up.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

I looked around fairly quickly and didn't see any of it attaching to the bumper.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:02 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I looked around fairly quickly and didn't see any of it attaching to the bumper.
I replaced bumper on 88 a few years ago and I think the skid protectors cover the front of the arms that extend from the frame to the bunber. I probably don;t remember well, but I beleive they help control the angle of the bumper. Otherwise, assuming I remember correwctly, only the two bolts on each side of thefront brace will keep the bumper on. They also control bumper height

Loke I say, it has been a few years since I did it and it wasn't fun
Old 09-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

On my '88 it looks like a lot of the bumper bracketry is attached to the frame. I'll check it out and see how it goes.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

The FSM doesn't show the skid plates supporting anything. Checking there and on the car shows a large vertical bar attaching to the frame by the hood support. The horizontal bars off the K member attach to that. I may look into running an aluminum bar from the K member to the frame instead of that clunky mess. So it looks like forward of that vertical bar can be eliminated but I have further checking to do. Anyone done it?
Old 09-09-2009, 10:43 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

I would be afraid of bottoming out, or that some how, they might actually help the rigidity of the car( but I doubt it)
Old 09-10-2009, 04:50 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not me..........mine have come in handy several times. Those concrete bumpers in parking lots are hell. I have felt the front of the car raise up many times.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:49 AM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They don't weigh enough to make any difference anyways. If they weigh a 1/2lb I would be suprised. The only thing that weighs alot involving all that is the main skid bar but I don't think you want to drive without that.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:56 AM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

this is the part that is heavy but not all that much and its weak anyways. You can see my original was bent.

see it don't take much to bend the hell out of them. You can see through the holes just how thin they are. I'm not sure what this car hit so don't ask

Old 09-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

This is a race car, half pounds do matter and it doesn't drive over things in parking lots. I'll weight up the parts when I'm done.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Well the bumper didn't fall on my head when I removed the parts. As I thought it isn't there to attach the bumper whatsoever. I did think that the skid plates were solid, partly because I remember seeing a tow hook attached to it. Mine are hollow and filled with a gravel/OPR mix.

No final tally on the weight yet. The skid plate itself is still attached inside the bumper somehow. I'm also thinking of grinding off the large steel bracket from where the bar attached.

The part on my '88 doesn't look like that picture above at all. They are two tapered metal parts that stick down out of the nose aside the radiator and are attached with a horizontal and vertical bar.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:26 PM
pipe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aardwolf didn't you have a post awhile back about lightening your C4 and what each piece weighed when removed. What does your car weigh now? Your right 1/2 lbs. add up here and there. The lighter the faster right? Pipe
Old 09-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Yes, I'd like to see a parts weight list be a sticky. I don't think this will be more then ten pounds off but that's a sweet drop to me. I detached the skids by two bolts each right under the fog light opening.

I'm always amused and annoyed at the same time by how long of fasteners they used. Those two bolts are probably 2.5" long and like many other bolts on the car are two inches to long. I've got a bag of bolts that I removed that must be up to ten pounds by now.

The car gets faster, breaks less parts, and puts money in my pocket for more racing by selling the parts.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:45 AM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Well the bumper didn't fall on my head when I removed the parts. As I thought it isn't there to attach the bumper whatsoever. I did think that the skid plates were solid, partly because I remember seeing a tow hook attached to it. Mine are hollow and filled with a gravel/OPR mix.

No final tally on the weight yet. The skid plate itself is still attached inside the bumper somehow. I'm also thinking of grinding off the large steel bracket from where the bar attached.

The part on my '88 doesn't look like that picture above at all. They are two tapered metal parts that stick down out of the nose aside the radiator and are attached with a horizontal and vertical bar.
there are 2 .. 1/2 inch bolts that secure the front of the skid bars to the inner impact bumpers lower lip. They are easy to remove the bolts just thread into a clip is all.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone removed the front skid bars?

Old 09-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

I found those and have one side done. I'll post up some pictures later on. The nose looks a lot smoother without the skids there. I wonder if there will be any aero gain or detriment. The skids may have acted like fences to help hold air into the radiator but I plan to add hood vents so I'd think that would counteract any issues in the nose. Maybe the CD is less.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:00 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Andrew now that the car seems dedicated to the track have you removed passenger seat, and all carpeting, etc?
Old 09-11-2009, 11:11 AM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

I found those and have one side done. I'll post up some pictures later on. The nose looks a lot smoother without the skids there. I wonder if there will be any aero gain or detriment. The skids may have acted like fences to help hold air into the radiator but I plan to add hood vents so I'd think that would counteract any issues in the nose. Maybe the CD is less.
all there there for is if a curb jumps out in front of you its designed to lift the car before the curb wipes out the air dam stuff and the radiator/condensor .... Racing at speeds if you hit something they wouldn't stop anything anyways.

Quick Reply: Anyone removed the front skid bars?