C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 LS swap a different perspective

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 10:03 PM
lt1396corvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by melrose
Hey guys I am trying to find a new market for our C4 swap headers. How many of you would be interested in this type of build?
C4 Lsx pro street on the cheap-
This isn't a daily driver, but more so someones hobby car they could have fun with for a reasonable amount of cash;

•Acquire or use your own thrashed C4
•acquire LSx motor- truck or alum block
•Rip the dash and hand fab one with analog gauges (save time trying to interface C4 dash with later ECU)
•Pull out as much useless crap as possible i.e. a/c, heat, and so forth
•MAybe some lightweight body parts i.e. hood, roof, lexan rear window.
•Lowered
•sinister satin black paint job
•loud exhaust

$3000 car
$800 motor and ECU
$500 guages and dash material
$650 coated headers
$2000 adpater plates, power steer, clutch, bellhous, fluids, misc
$400 wiring or paying electrician
$1500 min head work, cam, tune, maybe a little spray into TB
=$8850 (figure 10K for the other nickel and dime crap)

I tried being as realistic as possible, but this should get you a low 12's car for about 8-10K if you shop smart.

Before you guys say just go buy a C5, or dump 4k into an LT, please keep in mind that's not the point and nearly not as much fun.

100 W Ellwalk, Cortland, IL 60112
Sorry,but what kind of car are we going to be driving around in for
10k.Does'nt sound good too me.And I don't really get all this talking about putting a LSX motor in a C4 all the time.Why waste all this time doing all this work when the C4 has a perfectly good motor.
The following users liked this post:
1985 Vette (12-26-2019)
Old 10-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1
A lot of good points and literally the same I was thinking.
Where is the kit?
The best way right now to go LS in a C4 is the Motown LS/SBC block. It's a tall block though and I don't know where it would put the heads relative to where an LSX swap would.

It may be worth it for you guys to determine if your headers would work in this scenario. A few known reference points and measurements should give you an idea.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:10 PM
melrose
Collections Ban

Location: Name calling begins in the absence of fact and reason

I use to think that having a stripped car for the street was bada$$... but after spending 15 years in Arizona, I've changed my mind.

Air-conditioning is COOL (pun intended, lol)... insulation and functioning power equipment is cool...

I've seen enough of my less intelligent friends play off a gutted "hatchback" in the dead middle of summer as being "alright".... the idea of a heat stroke just isn't appealing to me! lol...
I may put the AC back in my velle down the road. Northern Illinois isn't so bad, but AZ I'd def have it in there.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:12 PM
melrose
Collections Ban

Originally Posted by steve40th
Why are there LSx engine kits for a Solstice and Miatas??????????????????????????
C4 NO?????????????
Just make a kit. Why is the aftermarket so wishy washy on the C4 Vette
because the guy below your post doesn't "get it"!
Old 10-09-2009, 10:16 PM
melrose
Collections Ban

Originally Posted by pr0zac
i am 30 and i can't recall ever hearing of a chevelle or a 53 ford having any options supported by an l98 c4's ccm.
I apologize I mixed your post up with the other guy that was complaining about creature comforts. Gotta go CSI is on.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:31 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Melrose-

I'm a bit lost with the OP. Are you quoting the price for the do-it-yourselfer OR you guys completing the swap for the customer?

Disclaimer before I go on my rant-

I really like you guys as a vendor. I think you guys make great quality components for the corvette community. I've heard nothing but good news from the guys that have used your products.

However (rant on):

I don't understand why we've got a handful of vendors that make random components for the LS-x swap, kind of a half-a$$ attempt if you as me.

I can only imagine having a c4 sitting in the average shade-tree mechanic's garage with the original guts pulled out of it and the Lsx sitting in the engine bay (not even attached of course) BUT "at least" it's got a nice set of headers on it! lol...

there are (and now have been for several years) a number of vendors that offer COMPLETE ls-x swap kits for none-GM platform cars (miata, rx7, fiero, 240sx, etc.) for the life of me I can't understand why we can't get the same support?

*if* someone (plug vendor name here) would step up and offer a COMPLETE kit, I think these things would be flying off the shelves.

more importantly, offering to merge the two harnesses or sell a harness that would allow for a seemless interface between the c4 and the Ls-x. (if just this item existed, i would be much more inclined to pursue an Ls-x swap).

The guys that do offer some sort of kit typically try to get around the creature comforts (AC, cruise, etc.) Making an already impractical car even more impractical.
BRAVO
Old 10-09-2009, 11:58 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

If there was a plug in kit to install an LSx engine, I would buy it.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:22 AM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RainDelay
The best way right now to go LS in a C4 is the Motown LS/SBC block. It's a tall block though and I don't know where it would put the heads relative to where an LSX swap would.

It may be worth it for you guys to determine if your headers would work in this scenario. A few known reference points and measurements should give you an idea.
All the LS series blocks are amazing. The aluminum ones are really, really strong, and very light. The iron blocks are cheap, really cheap, as well as really strong. Is the Motown LS/SBC block aluminum? If not, there is no way I would want to run it. Plenty of cheaper aluminum blocks out there.

Originally Posted by lt1396corvette
Sorry,but what kind of car are we going to be driving around in for
10k.Does'nt sound good too me.And I don't really get all this talking about putting a LSX motor in a C4 all the time.Why waste all this time doing all this work when the C4 has a perfectly good motor.
No, no it doesn't, not compared to an LSx.

A $10K LSx swapped C4 would be a pretty fast car for a pretty small investment. You might be able to do it with a C5, if you sell off the entire interior.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:31 AM
subtlez28
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm beginning to wonder if there is no C4 swap kit out because of all the misinformed haters...

F-body oil pans fit. C5 front accessories work. Both are plenty common. You could go the truck LS route, LS1 (non LS6) manifolds are down right cheap. I picked one up for $50 shipped.

I do not want to start an argument, but I really disagree with the "why put an LS1 in a C4 when it has a good motor" stuff. If you honestly think the old small block is superior or even remotely equal to the LS1, much less and LS3... or truck 6.0, L92, or LS7... you are in denial my friend. The LS engines now are to the old SBC as the SBC was to the flathead ford. Time marches on.

You see these engines swapped into everything from 4x4 rock crawlers, to Honda Civics. There is a reason for that! So why not put one in a light, affordable, well designed chassis like the C4?

If you don't like the idea, go post on the best cam for an L98 threads. Why is so much animosity generated at the LS1 C4 idea?

I'd love to see some good swap tech in a thread without all the nay-saying. And I know I'm not alone!
Old 10-10-2009, 12:39 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by subtlez28
I'm beginning to wonder if there is no C4 swap kit out because of all the misinformed haters...

F-body oil pans fit. C5 front accessories work. Both are plenty common. You could go the truck LS route, LS1 (non LS6) manifolds are down right cheap. I picked one up for $50 shipped.

I do not want to start an argument, but I really disagree with the "why put an LS1 in a C4 when it has a good motor" stuff. If you honestly think the old small block is superior or even remotely equal to the LS1, much less and LS3... or truck 6.0, L92, or LS7... you are in denial my friend. The LS engines now are to the old SBC as the SBC was to the flathead ford. Time marches on.

You see these engines swapped into everything from 4x4 rock crawlers, to Honda Civics. There is a reason for that! So why not put one in a light, affordable, well designed chassis like the C4?

If you don't like the idea, go post on the best cam for an L98 threads. Why is so much animosity generated at the LS1 C4 idea?

I'd love to see some good swap tech in a thread without all the nay-saying. And I know I'm not alone!
There was a great thread a while back, http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...ith-4l60e.html
Old 10-10-2009, 12:58 AM
pr0zac
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by melrose
I apologize I mixed your post up with the other guy that was complaining about creature comforts. Gotta go CSI is on.
i was going write out a nice long post on how ridiculous i find this.. but i am sure this thread will be locked and forgotten in no time. also with remarks like that from a vendor trying to sell something you aren't doing yourself any favors.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:01 AM
pr0zac
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mojave
All the LS series blocks are amazing. The aluminum ones are really, really strong, and very light. The iron blocks are cheap, really cheap, as well as really strong. Is the Motown LS/SBC block aluminum? If not, there is no way I would want to run it. Plenty of cheaper aluminum blocks out there.

No, no it doesn't, not compared to an LSx.

A $10K LSx swapped C4 would be a pretty fast car for a pretty small investment. You might be able to do it with a C5, if you sell off the entire interior.
i agree that the lsx is a far better motor, yet its too bad that it can't be integrated easier to the c4.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:21 AM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

I don't think anyone is saying that they don't want to see a MUCH MORE affordable approach to this swap? In fact, most of us WANT a gen-III in a c4? The problem is that the aftermarket hasn't really come around for the c4 community.

sure, you'll get the guy that has tens of thousands of dollars in tools and a lift in his "garage" that can tackle this with all the extra time in the world, but for the "budget minded" (yes some hobbiest's actually have a budget), this option is a non-option....

I want to see more effort placed in making a well researched parts list, with part number etc of what does and doesn't work. Otherwise, you've got hours of research ahead of you to figure out what will and what will-not work (not that that's a bad thing, some people like that sort of stuff). It's just clear that these details have been worked out for non-GM platform cars

To the OP-

I can't shoot the messenger. After all, you've only been approached by a series of shops to supply them with a quality header kit with will work with their idea of doing an Ls-x swap into a c4 and you guys have done an outstanding job (nice lookin' headers). I really DO hope that more people are motivated to do this type of swap, and the existing (or new) vendors step up and offer the needed components to FINISH this type of swap for the average-joe.

****edit****

BTW, when someone says the L98 or LT-x is a "good" engine, the in-depth response is.... "for $10K, I can make a fire breathing monster that will crush a STOCK LS-x swap, why the he11 would I dump $10K into a swap only to have a used engine with near-stock horsepower figures"... this again is the thought-process of the budget-minded hobbiest.

sure *if* I had the money I'd just have some reputable shop shoe-horn a big-inch Ls-x into my c4 and call it a day.

Last edited by mnstrlt1; 10-10-2009 at 03:26 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:39 AM
lt1396corvette
Racer

What would be the big deal of putting a lsx motor in a C4?What would be your point.When you can get C5 vette's for around 10k.And if you are talking about me.Don't put words in my mouth I never said the lt1 motors are better then the lsx motors.And don't even mention Ls7 motors,what will one of those cost?
Old 10-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Mekanic
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Would I swap an LSx into a C4 if I had the option?

nope.. sorry.

Its really not worth the headaches involved, the comforts removed, and the costs.

Now, I have an LT4, which dyno's identical to an LS1, so if I spend 10k and probably a year or more on the swap, while loosing AC, and fighting with electrical problems. I will gain. 0HP and loose a ton of features.

If I go to a worked L92, I'm spending more money, and gaining about 15HP.

If I go LS2 (which I don't even know if it will fit or not with head clearance) I'm spending a TON.

And don't even talk about GenIV being practical, an LS7 crate motor is 15k by itself. Add roughly 10k getting the monster to fit and run, and I have 25k in, to gain about 225WHP.

Sorry, I'll buy one of the new LT blocks, hog it out, throw on some AFR heads, and a set of Melrose headers and be out the door in about a month with LS7 power, and all my stock goodies.

Not enough? I'll just spray the hell out of it... or call up Greg at Blowerworks, now I'm talking about 800+HP range, and I'm STILL out less money, and with less than 1/4 of the downtime.

On an L98 car. I could see it as being a bit more of an option.. but really, I don't see anything in history that says a good ol SBC can't make amazing power.

My .02 on the deal.

Also, I'm hoping to get my Melrose headers soon, I really do like your products, and your prices are very reasonable, just waiting for the bank account to wake back up
Old 10-10-2009, 08:08 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I do aftermarket EFI and tune real race engines every day. A decent Gen 1 410 will make 775 to 800 hp all day long the same as an LSX so where is the advantage to be had..
Old 10-10-2009, 09:16 AM
melrose
Collections Ban

Originally Posted by pr0zac
i was going write out a nice long post on how ridiculous i find this.. but i am sure this thread will be locked and forgotten in no time. also with remarks like that from a vendor trying to sell something you aren't doing yourself any favors.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 LS swap a different perspective

Old 10-10-2009, 10:39 AM
subtlez28
Racer

Originally Posted by lt1396corvette
And I don't really get all this talking about putting a LSX motor in a C4 all the time.Why waste all this time doing all this work when the C4 has a perfectly good motor.
I'm not putting words in your mouth. How did you expect this post to be interpreted?
Old 10-10-2009, 11:03 AM
subtlez28
Racer

Originally Posted by Mekanic
Would I swap an LSx into a C4 if I had the option?

nope.. sorry.

Its really not worth the headaches involved, the comforts removed, and the costs.

Now, I have an LT4, which dyno's identical to an LS1, so if I spend 10k and probably a year or more on the swap, while loosing AC, and fighting with electrical problems. I will gain. 0HP and loose a ton of features.

If I go to a worked L92, I'm spending more money, and gaining about 15HP.

If I go LS2 (which I don't even know if it will fit or not with head clearance) I'm spending a TON.

And don't even talk about GenIV being practical, an LS7 crate motor is 15k by itself. Add roughly 10k getting the monster to fit and run, and I have 25k in, to gain about 225WHP.

Sorry, I'll buy one of the new LT blocks, hog it out, throw on some AFR heads, and a set of Melrose headers and be out the door in about a month with LS7 power, and all my stock goodies.

Not enough? I'll just spray the hell out of it... or call up Greg at Blowerworks, now I'm talking about 800+HP range, and I'm STILL out less money, and with less than 1/4 of the downtime.

On an L98 car. I could see it as being a bit more of an option.. but really, I don't see anything in history that says a good ol SBC can't make amazing power.

My .02 on the deal.

Also, I'm hoping to get my Melrose headers soon, I really do like your products, and your prices are very reasonable, just waiting for the bank account to wake back up
See, this is what I am talking about. Far be it from me to stop someone for posting their opinion. However, this is in no way helpful. And your facts are, well, wrong.

All LS motors with the exception of aftermarket blocks have the same exterior dimensions, so clearly your LS2 comment is ill informed.

L92s make 403 hp stock! Easily over 500 w just a cam. So where your 15hp gain comment comes from is beyond me.

Now, no one is saying an LT4 is a boat anchor. If I had an LT4 car I would be less likely to swap. Yes, you could build a high powered LTX car. But that doesn't mean it is a bad idea for someone else to go LSX, right?

On the other hand, the crossfire and TPI cars cannot easily or cheaply make the power of a cheaply modded LS1. Not to mention that LS1 is lighter, and in many cases cheaper dollar for HP and more dependable HP for HP.

Yes, C5s are getting cheap. Yes it would be easier to just buy a C5 that already has an LS1. That being the case, why do people buy street rods, or put LS1s in muscle cars when they could just buy a C5 or F-body that came with an LS1. Because they want to. Because the C5 and F-bodies have limiting factors also...

Now I already have a nice LS1 02 Z28. Why am I doing the swap? Because the C4 is an excellent chassis for the track (road course). It will be lighter (especially stripped down). It will be easier to work on (C5s and F-bodies are not so easy to work on). The LS1 will probably just take the beating. But, if it doesn't for $1500 I can pick up a replacement all aluminum, 400hp "race" motor. How much would an all aluminum 400 hp SBC cost? Can I pick one up at a yard or ebay?

In closing, can we have a thread w good info for those who are or may want to do the swap. Instead of a lot of uninformed or grossly biased nay-saying?

Old 10-10-2009, 12:17 PM
lt1396corvette
Racer

See, this is what I am talking about. Far be it from me to stop someone for posting their opinion. However, this is in no way helpful. And your facts are, well, wrong.

All LS motors with the exception of aftermarket blocks have the same exterior dimensions, so clearly your LS2 comment is ill informed.

L92s make 403 hp stock! Easily over 500 w just a cam. So where your 15hp gain comment comes from is beyond me.

Now, no one is saying an LT4 is a boat anchor. If I had an LT4 car I would be less likely to swap. Yes, you could build a high powered LTX car. But that doesn't mean it is a bad idea for someone else to go LSX, right?

On the other hand, the crossfire and TPI cars cannot easily or cheaply make the power of a cheaply modded LS1. Not to mention that LS1 is lighter, and in many cases cheaper dollar for HP and more dependable HP for HP.

Yes, C5s are getting cheap. Yes it would be easier to just buy a C5 that already has an LS1. That being the case, why do people buy street rods, or put LS1s in muscle cars when they could just buy a C5 or F-body that came with an LS1. Because they want to. Because the C5 and F-bodies have limiting factors also...

Now I already have a nice LS1 02 Z28. Why am I doing the swap? Because the C4 is an excellent chassis for the track (road course). It will be lighter (especially stripped down). It will be easier to work on (C5s and F-bodies are not so easy to work on). The LS1 will probably just take the beating. But, if it doesn't for $1500 I can pick up a replacement all aluminum, 400hp "race" motor. How much would an all aluminum 400 hp SBC cost? Can I pick one up at a yard or ebay?

In closing, can we have a thread w good info for those who are or may want to do the swap. Instead of a lot of uninformed or grossly biased nay-saying?

Can you go into more detail about this $1500 all aluminum 400hp RACE motor?Where can you get one.You make it sound like there a dime a dozen.And why do you call it a RACE motor.Just figuring out the pros and cons of doing a swap like this.

Quick Reply: C4 LS swap a different perspective