C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 LS swap a different perspective

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 12:30 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

This thread is digressing.
My 396LT1, 500hp motor, was around 12000 bucks, complete, when new in 2001.
Now, if the LS1's at that time were really as popular as they are today, I would have done the swap. But now with my measly 500hp'sih engine, the only benefit is a more docile user freindly engine with the same HP.
I think going from my CNC factory heads to set of AFR's would yield the same benefit of more docile engine. Regardless, LSx engines are a great leap forward, but not feasible to me unless it was a drop in plug and play.
Hell, people still hot rod Ford Flat heads
Old 10-10-2009, 12:49 PM
DrEvil11417
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did a ton of research on swapping a lsx into my old 86 but wasn't able to find anything that would be a plug and play, imo it seems like more trouble than it's worth
Old 10-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mekanic
Would I swap an LSx into a C4 if I had the option?

nope.. sorry.

Its really not worth the headaches involved, the comforts removed, and the costs.

Now, I have an LT4, which dyno's identical to an LS1, so if I spend 10k and probably a year or more on the swap, while loosing AC, and fighting with electrical problems. I will gain. 0HP and loose a ton of features.

If I go to a worked L92, I'm spending more money, and gaining about 15HP.

If I go LS2 (which I don't even know if it will fit or not with head clearance) I'm spending a TON.

And don't even talk about GenIV being practical, an LS7 crate motor is 15k by itself. Add roughly 10k getting the monster to fit and run, and I have 25k in, to gain about 225WHP.

Sorry, I'll buy one of the new LT blocks, hog it out, throw on some AFR heads, and a set of Melrose headers and be out the door in about a month with LS7 power, and all my stock goodies.

Not enough? I'll just spray the hell out of it... or call up Greg at Blowerworks, now I'm talking about 800+HP range, and I'm STILL out less money, and with less than 1/4 of the downtime.

On an L98 car. I could see it as being a bit more of an option.. but really, I don't see anything in history that says a good ol SBC can't make amazing power.

My .02 on the deal.

Also, I'm hoping to get my Melrose headers soon, I really do like your products, and your prices are very reasonable, just waiting for the bank account to wake back up
This post is full of fail, with fail sauce, with extra fail dressing.

LT4's are close, but generally a bit lower than a stock LS1, but that is far from the whole story. A cammed LS1 with headers is 400 RWHP, I've seen several local cars do it. A stock LT4 with a cam will not touch that, the heads just don't flow enough stock.

L92 is a conservative 403 crank hp, but throw in a cam, and you are over 500 crank hp easily, solid 450 RWHP. I'd prefer an L92 to an LS2, since the LS2 is still cathedral port heads and the L92 is the better square port stuff.

Why wouldn't an LS2 fit? It is the exact same size as LS1, LQ4, LQ9, LS3, LS7, LS6, LS3, and every other LS engine: they area all THE SAME SIZE AND BOLT IN THE EXACT SAME. Same deck height, same block size, same mounts, same everything.

LS7 create engine is quite expensive, but it's dry sump. You can easily make LS7 power with square port heads and a set sump for 1/3 the cost. If you want the dry sump, LS7 is actually a really good deal, as over 600 RWHP is very doable with a cam-only. I'd LOVE to see you do a dry sump LT4 with only a cam do 600 RWHP NA.

I have an LT4, and I almost swapped it out. Why do you guys need a kit? Buy the headers, motor mount, wiring harness and get someone to fab a c-beam mount.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:32 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mojave

LT4's are close, but generally a bit lower than a stock LS1, but that is far from the whole story. A cammed LS1 with headers is 400 RWHP, I've seen several local cars do it. A stock LT4 with a cam will not touch that, the heads just don't flow enough stock.

L92 is a conservative 403 crank hp, but throw in a cam, and you are over 500 crank hp easily, solid 450 RWHP. I'd prefer an L92 to an LS2, since the LS2 is still cathedral port heads and the L92 is the better square port stuff.

Why wouldn't an LS2 fit? It is the exact same size as LS1, LQ4, LQ9, LS3, LS7, LS6, LS3, and every other LS engine: they area all THE SAME SIZE AND BOLT IN THE EXACT SAME. Same deck height, same block size, same mounts, same everything.

LS7 create engine is quite expensive, but it's dry sump. You can easily make LS7 power with square port heads and a set sump for 1/3 the cost. If you want the dry sump, LS7 is actually a really good deal, as over 600 RWHP is very doable with a cam-only. I'd LOVE to see you do a dry sump LT4 with only a cam do 600 RWHP NA.

I have an LT4, and I almost swapped it out. Why do you guys need a kit? Buy the headers, motor mount, wiring harness and get someone to fab a c-beam mount.

much easier said than done!

the Ls-x is nothing revolutionary! It's simply a series of learned information that was finally applied to a mass production motor (i.e. making the technology readily available- CHEAP). The heads are far more advanced than the traditional small-blocks, BUT we're comparing an 18 degree (in some cases 15 degree) head to a 23 degree head? Of course you're going to get better flow!

My point is that a traditional small block, dressed up with the equivalent components (primarily the heads, like 18/15/12 degree heads) will likely pump out ridiculous amounts of power as well!

Of course with the different head geometry (on a gen-I and gen-II) you'd also have to take into consideration the cost of a new intake manifold (to support the new heads) and a new set of headers (to again work with the different angle of the head). this would start pushing the "practicality" envelope and a reasonable "budget".

Yes, the LS-x IS far more advanced than the gen-I and gen-II when we're comparing stock to stock (off the production line). No-one is arguing this fact. the argument is that the technology (18/15/12 degree heads) are readily available for the gen-I (not so much for the gen-II), so that you can "still" stick with your traditional small-block platform.

bottom line: a stout gen-I and gen-II can easily be had for a fraction of the alloted budget listed in the OP. And *if* we're talking about a boosted application (or any power-adder) than you can toss most of the details out the window.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1
much easier said than done!

the Ls-x is nothing revolutionary! It's simply a series of learned information that was finally applied to a mass production motor (i.e. making the technology readily available- CHEAP). The heads are far more advanced than the traditional small-blocks, BUT we're comparing an 18 degree (in some cases 15 degree) head to a 23 degree head? Of course you're going to get better flow!

My point is that a traditional small block, dressed up with the equivalent components (primarily the heads, like 18/15/12 degree heads) will likely pump out ridiculous amounts of power as well!

Of course with the different head geometry (on a gen-I and gen-II) you'd also have to take into consideration the cost of a new intake manifold (to support the new heads) and a new set of headers (to again work with the different angle of the head). this would start pushing the "practicality" envelope and a reasonable "budget".

Yes, the LS-x IS far more advanced than the gen-I and gen-II when we're comparing stock to stock (off the production line). No-one is arguing this fact. the argument is that the technology (18/15/12 degree heads) are readily available for the gen-I (not so much for the gen-II), so that you can "still" stick with your traditional small-block platform.

bottom line: a stout gen-I and gen-II can easily be had for a fraction of the alloted budget listed in the OP. And *if* we're talking about a boosted application (or any power-adder) than you can toss most of the details out the window.
While SB2 and SB2.2 head certainly get the job done, good luck finding an intake to clear a stock C4 hood. You are likely going to use a carb, as stock TPI or LT1 electronics would not work well with such a setup. Also, custom header work needs to be done to mate up to the heads. So compared to a carb'ed LS1 (which is silly but definitely doable), the difference comes down to motor mounts (which you can buy and bolt on) and a c-beam mount.

I'm not saying than an SB2.2 won't do the job, but the amount of work is surprisingly close between the two and you get an aluminum block. Yes, you can get SBC aluminum blocks, but they are pricey compared to LS1 stuff.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:56 PM
melrose
Collections Ban

Location: Name calling begins in the absence of fact and reason
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by subtlez28

In closing, can we have a thread w good info for those who are or may want to do the swap. Instead of a lot of uninformed or grossly biased nay-saying?

That's all I was hoping for. If any of you want headers, LS swap or not, just give me call.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:56 PM
abc 123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mojave

Sums up the entire thread.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:58 AM
subtlez28
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1396corvette
Can you go into more detail about this $1500 all aluminum 400hp RACE motor?Where can you get one.You make it sound like there a dime a dozen.And why do you call it a RACE motor.Just figuring out the pros and cons of doing a swap like this.
I'm kind of kidding calling it a race motor. I just mean that a comparable SBC would be a race motor. Stock LS1s are rated 325-345 hp, but it is well know that they are under rated as they normally dyno at ~310-320 to the wheels. Assuming the 85% rule (that 15% flywheel HP is lost to drive line and friction) that is 365-405 flywheel hp. More is available w just headers and a tune. 400 plus RWHP is only a cam and heads away. To pull of these #s, and to have an aluminum block in a SBC requires aftermarket parts, and really would be a "race motor".

And that is just the LS1. If you have the cash for the LS3 or L92 a cam alone will put you in 500 flywheel HP range with a very tame street friendly engine. Add some ported heads and a hairy cam... sky is the limit.

In 5 minutes of looking I found a LS1 long block with an LS6 cam for $1000!!
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-pa...w-ls6-cam.html

And pull out 5.3s run in the $500-900 range.

These engines are a huge performance bargin! Just look at this thread. Even the nay-sayers need to compare SB2/SB2.2s and expensively modded LTX engines just to out do a stock LS engine. Go find me a SB2 long block for $1000...
Old 10-11-2009, 02:07 AM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by steve40th
Why are there LSx engine kits for a Solstice and Miatas??????????????????????????
C4 NO?????????????
Just make a kit. Why is the aftermarket so wishy washy on the C4 Vette
C4 owners just don't spend money.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:37 AM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mackeyred96
come on John - some of us do
Old 10-11-2009, 03:12 AM
abc 123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mackeyred96
Whoa there chief. There is too much honesty in that reply.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:14 AM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

My situation; well worn cross fire / 4+3 hmmm vs Ls1 / t56. in Washington a 84 doesnt have to pass smog, a C5 will. A nice sbc with a carb is not out of the question, yet.
I am listening very closely. Thank you very much to all for constructive comments.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:59 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Crepitus
My situation; well worn cross fire / 4+3 hmmm vs Ls1 / t56. in Washington a 84 doesnt have to pass smog, a C5 will. A nice sbc with a carb is not out of the question, yet.
I am listening very closely. Thank you very much to all for constructive comments.
the C5 corvette has to pass emissions, but for me (here in AZ) the emissions station only plugs an OBD-II scanner into the OBD-II port to verify that everything checks out "alright" (no emissions related codes). It's literally 3 minutes for them to "emissions check" a 96' model year vehicle or newer.

I've known several guys running without cat's, heavily modified, etc. that get through emissions without a problem. the reason for this is because the information that the emission station is looking for can easily be manipulated by a shop that does dyno-tuning or any sort of programming work to the stock computer. i.e. you can eliminate the cats out of your c5 corvette so that the computer doesn't see anything wrong with them missing rather than displaying a "check engine" light on the dash. Totally easy to manipulte.

an 84' with the cross-fire and 4+3 would make a good candidate for the swap though.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:54 PM
subtlez28
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that a well worn 84 is the perfect candidate (coincidence: I am doing a swap to an 84). Odds are most of them have issues w the digital dash anyway. Not to mention HVAC and general interior issues just from use and age.

Now that said, my dad has a very nice 84. It would be a shame to gut it out. Same as it would be to gut out say a nice 94. The point that may have been missed here is this cheap swap idea is great to bring life and fun back to a worn, older, less desirable C4s.

I will be shocked if when I'm finished someone says, "Man, you should not have taken out the crossfire!". Seems like an LS1 powered 84 that tears up the road course and runs easy 12s in the 1/4 would be more desirable than the original.

Some people like corvettes because they have cool electronics, creature comforts and the like. Others, like me, like the design, light weight, and parts availability. The idea of a stripped to basics (no digital dash, no power locks, no HVAC, no stereo) appeals to me. I'm positive I'm not alone (anyone seen Mojave's car)?
Old 10-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

I agree that a well worn 84 is the perfect candidate (coincidence: I am doing a swap to an 84). Odds are most of them have issues w the digital dash anyway. Not to mention HVAC and general interior issues just from use and age.

Now that said, my dad has a very nice 84. It would be a shame to gut it out. Same as it would be to gut out say a nice 94. The point that may have been missed here is this cheap swap idea is great to bring life and fun back to a worn, older, less desirable C4s.

I will be shocked if when I'm finished someone says, "Man, you should not have taken out the crossfire!". Seems like an LS1 powered 84 that tears up the road course and runs easy 12s in the 1/4 would be more desirable than the original.

Some people like corvettes because they have cool electronics, creature comforts and the like. Others, like me, like the design, light weight, and parts availability. The idea of a stripped to basics (no digital dash, no power locks, no HVAC, no stereo) appeals to me. I'm positive I'm not alone (anyone seen Mojave's car)?
The digital dash will work with an LS1, the only features that will be lost are the instant and average MPG functions.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:04 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Its all about goals with your Vette, and finances. I cant even afford little stuff anymore.
Too many of my dependents in college etc.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

bring life and fun back to a worn, older, less desirable
We are still talking about my car right.

Last edited by Crepitus; 10-12-2009 at 01:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 LS swap a different perspective

Old 10-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the heads up on the OBDII smog checks.

One prob I see with the stock dash is that the tack only reads to 6000. A switch to anolog seems pretty easy and is high on my list of must have.

Last edited by Crepitus; 10-12-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:33 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Crepitus
Thanks for the heads up on the OBDII smog checks.

One prob I see with the stock dash is that the tack only reads to 6000. A switch to anolog seems pretty easy and is high on my list of must have.
honestly, I would start with a new harness (like a 12-circuit harness), and just rewire the entire car. If you're ditching a lot of details and going with an Ls-x swap and computer with analog gauges. this would be "the right" way to go about it, instead of cutting and splicing etc.

of course, my idea of an Ls-x swap into a c4 would also INCLUDE a full restoration (down to the frame).
Old 10-12-2009, 10:24 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

I'm kind of kidding calling it a race motor. I just mean that a comparable SBC would be a race motor.

To pull of these #s, and to have an aluminum block in a SBC requires aftermarket parts, and really would be a "race motor".
Guys, really the LS motors are race motors compared to the SBC, just like how roller rockers once were race technology etc etc. It is race tech that has trickled down to production.

Better block, better oiling, stronger camshafts, better lifters (which we can use, yes), an aluminum block, 15* heads stock.

So forth and so on, an AL Dart block is what 2k? Then you have sleeving slip issues and so forth.

As far as parts interchangeability if we just do the research, the info is out there...

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...hart_large.jpg

I'm still tossing up whether to go LS or big inch SBC, however, I think a L92 headed 402 would do pretty well, especially once direct injection comes out. (Which it is coming, the C6R was using it in racing earlier this year and it was removed until standard on production Vettes... )

http://www.prostreetcustoms.net/CorvettePage.html

Also, guys the T56 adapter exists already. Now you get a 6 speed (4+3/auto guys), you loose weight (worth more "power") and you get more power and reliability. And like someone else said, if you do a standalone engine management/or a new harness well, done and done.

Quick Reply: C4 LS swap a different perspective