C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Front suspension geometry?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:22 AM
jasonmckay
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Front suspension geometry?

Hi all,
I am currently mocking up my cobra kit to accept the front end from a C4 donor and need to understand the relationship between the lower and upper control arms. Mainly the degree offset the upper is from the lower. Does anyone have a CAD illustration or a diagram showing this? I cannot use the C4 K-member due to size and that fact it's bent from the collision. The width apart of the control arms is not an issue, just need to know how the upper relates to the lower.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:31 AM
LT1inaMGB
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonmckay
Hi all,
I am currently mocking up my cobra kit to accept the front end from a C4 donor and need to understand the relationship between the lower and upper control arms. Mainly the degree offset the upper is from the lower. Does anyone have a CAD illustration or a diagram showing this? I cannot use the C4 K-member due to size and that fact it's bent from the collision. The width apart of the control arms is not an issue, just need to know how the upper relates to the lower.
Go to a frame straightening shop and see if they will let you look at their spec book, it plots the suspension pickup points from 2 datums - the ground plane and the centerline of the car. I did that when I mocked up the suspension in my car.

Jim
Old 07-15-2017, 10:10 PM
SOLOC4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hope this will help
Attached Images
Old 07-15-2017, 11:52 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonmckay
Hi all,
It would be important to know if you're wanting to use '87 and earlier suspension or the '88 and later.

Most Cobra kit chassis specified which and most offered a suspension member that worked.

Whose kit is yours?

A fabrication of your own maybe?

Originally Posted by SOLOC4
hope this will help
Your information you feel is based on which C4? '87 and earlier or '88 and later? I've seen earlier that don't match those.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-16-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:40 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by SOLOC4
hope this will help
Holy 8-year-old thread, Batman!

But your drawing is still very interesting. Do you happen to know if this is from the early or late C4 front suspension? Judging from the large amount of anti-dive, I'm guess the later version. But can you please confirm?

Also, if you happen to have similar dimensional drawings for the rear it would be much appreciated.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:31 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

In order for more people to have access, I've uploaded my SolidWorks model of a C4 suspension (late model) on 3DContentCentral

http://www.3dcontentcentral.com/part...&catalogid=171

It is to model the pickup points to study rollcenters, anti-dive angle etc.
It is NOT meant for component fitment
Some parts are greatly simplified Links are modeled as rod ends as I have rod ends on my 1995 Corvette

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Front suspension geometry?

Quick Reply: C4 Front suspension geometry?