C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 smog pump eliminated

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 06:46 PM
rsovine
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 smog pump eliminated

I am eliminating the smog pump and attachements to run horsepower on the strip. Does anyone know what belt to use without a smog pump? How about the size belt to use without smog and air conditioning pullies?

I measured the length without the smog pump and it was 84". Can I run without smog and air?
Old 01-04-2010, 04:25 PM
rsovine
Intermediate

OK, I eliminated the smog pump and the air conditioning pump hopefully giving me more horsepower.

Has anyone did this? Did it give you more hp?

I am thinking of running without a thermostat also to give less resistance to the water pump.

Is there anything else I can take off to lighten up the car and add hp?
Old 01-04-2010, 04:58 PM
qws
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just removed my smog pump but I'm also using a March crank pulley which is smaller than stock. That belt is a 82 inch belt. I'd think you'd be in the 84 or 85 inch range for the belt you need.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:52 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I would not run the car without a thermostat
Old 01-04-2010, 07:16 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

"less resistance on the water pump" thats a new on me.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:34 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Put the thermostat back in. The motor will take a long time to warm up without one and will wear out faster due to cold water and oil temps. Once warmed up, the thermostat is open and causes no additional drag. When cold, water in the engine just circulates bypassing the radiator and also has no additional drag. There are better ways to make power.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:39 PM
rsovine
Intermediate

Thermostat is back in, thanks.

Also the car runs smooth after the eliminations of the smog and air pumps. Any ideas how to get more out of the great "cross fire injection" system?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:20 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

There is another post about what I & others have done with replacing the crossfire inj. with the similar tbi injection & traditional intakes that you don't have to port the $h1t out of.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:41 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rsovine
Thermostat is back in, thanks.

Also the car runs smooth after the eliminations of the smog and air pumps. Any ideas how to get more out of the great "cross fire injection" system?
Illuminating the pumps will do little for noticeable Horsepower. The Crossfire starves for air and fuel. You will notice real gains by Porting the stock Crossfire manifold. You can also go with the Xram set up which is what is on my 84. However the Xram takes some modifications and depending which set up you use as some illuminate the EGR valve. I don't know what the pollution laws are in your state but most states drop them after 25 years. I would also suggest a 85 fuel pump which is how my car is set up. I did not do this conversion but have rebuilt the set up once do to a blown manifold gasket. You can get all the info you need on the Crossfire injection vault web site. The guys there will work with you to help you with your conversion. My cars last owner was talked through the whole process when he did my extensive conversion which consisted of Xram, 85 FP, Performance chip and Camaro computer along with enlarged TBs and all pollution equipment removed.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:16 PM
steven mack
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I would keep your smog pump stuff around .The Epa has just lowered the allowable smog pollution in all the states.We may be seeing California smog rules. These rules require all 76 and above to pass smog .And have under hood inspections for smog equipment.

Get notified of new replies

To 84 smog pump eliminated

Quick Reply: 84 smog pump eliminated