C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'change oil' light came on

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 10:33 AM
Gixxer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 'change oil' light came on

After it sitting for about a month or so I got the car out and the 'change oil' light was on. I just had an oil change about 1500 miles ago and I checked the oil level and it was fine.

Why else would this light come on if the level is good? If it's okay, is there a way to turn it off.

I will probably only put about another 50 to 100 miles on it before an oil change in the spring when I start to drive it everyday. Is it okay to drive or should I get the oil changed right away?

:confused:
Old 03-04-2002, 10:39 AM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: 'change oil' light came on (Gixxer)

If you didn't reset it that last time you changed your oil then that is why it suddenly came on. It doesn't know you changed the oil. The factory uses some sort of algorithm to deterime the need for an oil change based on a myriad of things not just mileage. If I waited for mine to come on, it would take more than 5K miles. Not waitin' that long. Reset it in accordance with owners manual and happy drivin'. :)
Old 03-04-2002, 10:43 AM
cire96
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 'change oil' light came on (Gixxer)

You're fine waiting a while to change it. The light comes on after either the requisite 7,500 miles, or after a sensor "sees" that the oil has darkened. It sounds like yours simply got dark - perhaps due to moisture resulting from condensation. It wouldn't surprise me if you reset the light and then took it out for an hour drive, (to get it good and hot to drive off the water) , the light would stay off. The reset sequence is in your owners manual. I never did commit it to memory. If someone else doesn't give it to you in this string, I'll look it up and post it. Cire96 :)
Old 03-04-2002, 11:21 AM
Gixxer
Racer

Default Re: 'change oil' light came on (cire96)

Thanks guys. I'll try to reset it next time I drive it. I found a post that explained how to do it.

:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To 'change oil' light came on

Quick Reply: 'change oil' light came on