C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I have a strange problem and need your help

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:45 AM
as long as it is red
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a strange problem and need your help

I have a 1990 convertible, L98. When I hooked up the negative battery cable to the battery a lot of smoke came from the starter and the interior lights flickered on and off until the cable was tight. The motor will crank and run and all the electricals will work the the exception of the interior AC/heat blower. It looked like there was some electrical arc at the starter where the cable connects (glowing) to it while I was tightening the negative terminal. After I ran it for a minute I unbolted the negative battery cable and I am afraid to run it again.

Could this be an internal starter problem or a fuseable link burning? There was no key in the ignition and there was no light switch on so why the flickering lights?
Thank you,
Barry
Old 01-07-2010, 10:54 AM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a short in the starter or the wires going to it. Why was the negative battery terminal off?
Old 01-07-2010, 11:11 AM
as long as it is red
Instructor

I usually store the car with the disconnected battery. I was charging the battery the day this happened. And no, I did not try to crank it with the charger hooked to the battery. I figured that there is a short, but why. I'm just looking for some ideas on what caused this. I do not want a burned up car.

For some reason, when you hook the battery up these cars have a headlight circuit that is open and will make a clicking noise until the cable is tightened. You can hear it coming from the headlight motors.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

At the starter motor there is a cable that comes from the positive battery terminal. Attached to the same lug at the starter motor is a fusible link that supplies 12 volts for the Blower Control Module which is located inside the evaporator housing.

If you look on top of the evaporator housing on the half closer to the engine you'll see two electrical plugs. The plug with the Red wire is the wire that goes down to the starter motor. If you unplug the connector with the red wire and then attach the negative battery cable, see if the arching/smoking at the starter motor stops.

Since you mentioned your blower motor doesn't work, most likely the Blower Control Module is bad and is drawing enough current to heat up the fusible link but not melt it or you have a bad connection at the starter terminal lug.

The Blower Control Module is held in place by a couple of small screws and just pulls out of the evaporator housing.

Last edited by Hooked on Vettes; 01-07-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:51 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the AC fuse in the RH side fuse block. Does your 90 have manual or automatic AC?
Old 01-09-2010, 04:12 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

A visual inspection of the wiring at your starter is required.

Jack 'er up and take a look......
Old 01-09-2010, 02:46 PM
impact1968
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could critters have possibly gnawed on the wiring during storage creating a short?
Old 01-11-2010, 08:41 AM
as long as it is red
Instructor

Default update

Thanks for the replies. Hooked - you were correct in your diagnosis. I am much ablidged to you and your knowledge. Now I have to determine why the blower control modlue is bad and shorting. The AC system is the auto C68 and the car is an automatic. No chews on any wires and no critter nests. I really don't store the car for any length of time, but I dont trust the wiring and for good reason. The battery will drain if I don't crank it in about a week. This could be the problem.

Actually, there could be a connection to my problem and disconnecting the battery. After every time I disconnect/connect the battery cable the AC system is automatically turned on once I crank it. This circut seems to always have power going to the switch that is activated once the key is turned. Had I known the symptoms of a bad blower motor modlue, I dould have corrected the battery drain problem long ago.
I will keep you posted. BTW, the starter wires will be traced and any charred contact for the wires and cable will be looked into. When this smoke would happen it looked like someone was welding under the car. Not good.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:49 PM
94vettelover2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by as long as it is red
Thanks for the replies. Hooked - you were correct in your diagnosis. I am much ablidged to you and your knowledge. Now I have to determine why the blower control modlue is bad and shorting. The AC system is the auto C68 and the car is an automatic. No chews on any wires and no critter nests. I really don't store the car for any length of time, but I dont trust the wiring and for good reason. The battery will drain if I don't crank it in about a week. This could be the problem.

Actually, there could be a connection to my problem and disconnecting the battery. After every time I disconnect/connect the battery cable the AC system is automatically turned on once I crank it. This circut seems to always have power going to the switch that is activated once the key is turned. Had I known the symptoms of a bad blower motor modlue, I dould have corrected the battery drain problem long ago.
I will keep you posted. BTW, the starter wires will be traced and any charred contact for the wires and cable will be looked into. When this smoke would happen it looked like someone was welding under the car. Not good.
Your starter motor could be the cause of battery drain & possibly the sparking issue
Old 01-11-2010, 04:03 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 90 vettes a/c comes on as soon as the car is started as well. I don't have the arcing issue like this guy but is this blower control module the culprit that is causing this?
Old 01-12-2010, 09:27 AM
as long as it is red
Instructor

Would anyone happen to have the part number for the blower control module for a 1990 VIN 8 Corvette? It sure would be a big help.
Thanks again for ALL of your help.
Barry

Get notified of new replies

To I have a strange problem and need your help

Quick Reply: I have a strange problem and need your help