C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Strategy to selecting x pipe location?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:49 PM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strategy to selecting x pipe location?

Hey guys,
I'm thinking about replacing my center res with an x pipe. However, I'm also debating buying 2 flowmaster 10 series racing mufflers and adding an x pipe. Is there any benefit to placing the x pipe closer to the headers or closer to the axel back portion?

Last edited by 94lt1vette94; 01-08-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:10 AM
Zoui
Advanced

There isn't any performance benefits from the X-pipe if you use Flowmasters. They should call them FlowBusters. OK, they sound very very good, but what comes to performance, they suck. You should use straight-through mufflers if you want more power. And if you want even more aggressive sound, use bullets.

I asked Dr.Gas once about that x-pipe placing. They said that optimal place for X-pipe is from 12-36" after collectors.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:30 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

FWIW, and i'm no expert here, but i read this one time - spray the center area exhaust with some lacquer paint, and start and run the engine. the area where the paint firsts starts to burn away is the place where you want to install the "X" or "H" pipe. again, FWIW, and i'm no expert...

edit - copied from another forum:

That X-pipe is behind where the cats would normally be. The S14 exhaust had the X pipe before the cats, right after the header flange. When placed closer to the cylinder head, the X pipe can help exhaust scavenging. Placed farther from the head, it can reduce unwanted backpressure pulses by making the pipes less restrictive as the gasses cool and slow down. The old hot-rod trick for H and X pipe placement was to paint the exhaust tubes and then drive. Wherever the paint was completely burned off was where the pulses formed a node, and you'd place your H or X pipe there.

another note - come to think about it, years ago, i had a triumph daytona 500 motorcycle, and the area where the chromed exhaust pipes turned blue is where the "H" pipe was located. i'm guessing that was the hottest part...

Last edited by Joe C; 01-08-2010 at 03:43 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:29 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

About to do this.
Is there any proven difference in the styles?
I am seeing ones where the two pipes are set in and joined so there would only be a equalisation of the pressure and ones like the Magnaflows that have a chamber where the gas can completely mix.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Here are some crappy cell phone pictures but this is what I did on my exhaust. I did what you guys are talking about. I wanted the x-pipe close to the collectors because like said, when the pulse from one side moves across the opening of the x-pipe it helps pull exhaust from the other bank and keeps a nice fast flow. Also, where my x pipe ends on the back of the transmission, is an area that would normally have a tight bend but the x-pipe allows it to go in either pipe.

In this one the collector side in on the bench and the exit is up in the air.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:23 AM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all of the input guys! Let me elaborate on the flowmaste setup before u dog them
I'm going with the 10 series race mufflers. They are single chamber and have an extremely small case (virtually open header like).
Kubs, so you placed the x right after your collectors? Have you dynoed with that setup?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 94lt1vette94
Kubs, so you placed the x right after your collectors? Have you dynoed with that setup?
Yes the X is right after the collectors (longtube headers) under the tailshaft of the transmission (manual). I dont know if it would fit there with an auto or not.

I have not been on the dyno but with only a ZZ4 cam and exhaust mods the car pulls ways harder than it did stock. I know ETs are a good way of judging HP. My first time drag racing EVER I ran a 13.5 and I spun the crap out of the tires which shows in the 2.2 60'. I also have the suspension setup for roadracing not drag. Had it hooked I would have gotten a 13.3 or so which is darn good for a near stock TPI car.

Aslo, it sounds like no other C4 out there. When I race I bypass the mufflers and just run straight pipes and high flow cats. It has a big block monsterous sound. Most aftermarket kits like Corsa or B&B make the car have a high pitched sort of whine sound. I have gotten several compliments on the sound.

Here is a video of me on a track. The incar sound is good as well the outside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj-gLGQd5J4
Old 01-08-2010, 02:17 PM
redrage
Instructor

Looks like mine is farther back...anyway it consists of Bassani cats and race magnum bullet mufflers,stock tips.Doesn't look pretty,but sounds killer.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:47 PM
5POINT7
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redrage
Looks like mine is farther back...anyway it consists of Bassani cats and race magnum bullet mufflers,stock tips.Doesn't look pretty,but sounds killer.
you have hooker headers as well right? got any sound clips or videos of your exhaust?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:05 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Some interesting info here! Nice exhausts too!

I wonder what would happen if you put an X-pipe as close to the headers as possible then another one right before the exhaust splits to the mufflers... Interesting!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:18 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs

Here is a video of me on a track. The incar sound is good as well the outside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj-gLGQd5J4
Awesome video!!!! I watched it like 20 times! Sounds great!
Old 01-08-2010, 09:42 PM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dogfish246
Some interesting info here! Nice exhausts too!

I wonder what would happen if you put an X-pipe as close to the headers as possible then another one right before the exhaust splits to the mufflers... Interesting!
I actually thought about asking that question as well

I've also debated going with dynomax bullets.

Kubs, so you like the sound of straight pipe? My original plans for exhaust were to buy an x pipe (in place of the center res) and to weld straight pipe in place of the mufflers, but the guy at the muffler shop told me it'd sound awful
Old 01-08-2010, 09:43 PM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

That's where I planned on putting the x. Is that piping larger than 3"?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:05 PM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

Here's an interesting find that I just came across:
http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=ultraflox
I wonder how this would sound if I placed this in the center of the exhaust and used this as my entire x/muffler setup
Old 01-08-2010, 10:38 PM
ethree
Instructor

Here's an interesting find that I just came across:
http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=ultraflox
I wonder how this would sound if I placed this in the center of the exhaust and used this as my entire x/muffler setup

I looked at that dynomax unit as well, but noted 3" size. Then found a x pipe that maintains 2.75", for those of us with more stock components.

http://advancedautocc.com/item--The-...-ltx_pipe.html
Old 01-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dogfish246
Awesome video!!!! I watched it like 20 times! Sounds great!
Thanks! Im glad you liked it!

I actually thought about asking that question as well

I've also debated going with dynomax bullets.

Kubs, so you like the sound of straight pipe? My original plans for exhaust were to buy an x pipe (in place of the center res) and to weld straight pipe in place of the mufflers, but the guy at the muffler shop told me it'd sound awful
I do love the sound. It has such a mean bark to it. However for the street it could be a bit too loud. It depends on your taste but I live in the city and rolling in at 2AM Im glad I have mufflers on it still. If you look at the picture, after the X-pipe the dual tubes go straight out the back and capped, and the muffler pipes tee off before the cap. When I go racing I just remove the cap (shown below the cap looks like a bowtie, kinda ).

Old 01-08-2010, 10:55 PM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kubs
Thanks! Im glad you liked it!

I do love the sound. It has such a mean bark to it. However for the street it could be a bit too loud. It depends on your taste but I live in the city and rolling in at 2AM Im glad I have mufflers on it still. If you look at the picture, after the X-pipe the dual tubes go straight out the back and capped, and the muffler pipes tee off before the cap. When I go racing I just remove the cap (shown below the cap looks like a bowtie, kinda ).

That's awesome! Such a great idea. Looks like a chevy emblem haha. Anyways, I don't dd the car, maybe drive it a max of 3x a week. I'm really leaning towards these 10 series flowmasters . Have u ever heard of anyone running more than one x crossover?

Get notified of new replies

To Strategy to selecting x pipe location?

Old 01-09-2010, 11:45 AM
redrage
Instructor

Is that piping larger than 3"?
it is 3"
got any sound clips or videos of your exhaust?
http://www.youtube.com/user/bytebloc
Old 01-09-2010, 12:55 PM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

Holy ****! That sounds incredible. I want that sound lol
Old 01-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

That's awesome! Such a great idea. Looks like a chevy emblem haha. Anyways, I don't dd the car, maybe drive it a max of 3x a week. I'm really leaning towards these 10 series flowmasters . Have u ever heard of anyone running more than one x crossover?
I have not heard of anyone running more than one crossover and im not sure what it will do. You might lose too much back pressure and actually lose HP.

Quick Reply: Strategy to selecting x pipe location?