C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Long Tube Header Question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Gooseit
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Long Tube Header Question?

I have a 95 with the Corsa exhaust system. My question is: How much, if any would long tube headers help the performance/ horsepower. How hard are they to install and who makes the best?

Thanks
Goose
Old 01-08-2010, 02:24 PM
redrage
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if you have converters on the car,but long tubes will require them to be placed further back which means you will have to get a "bullet" style converters,and will have to modify the corsa system.I used hooker "2149" works for me,how ever a specific lt1 header will cost more.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:16 PM
James93LT1
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooseit
I have a 95 with the Corsa exhaust system. My question is: How much, if any would long tube headers help the performance/ horsepower. How hard are they to install and who makes the best?

Thanks
Goose
If your car is stock...maybe 5 to 10hp. You don't really need headers until you start doing heads and cam.

The LT1 exhaust system flows really good for a stock motor.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:00 PM
ittybittyfds
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

i looked at getting long tubes on my 96 but due to the location of the cats i would have todo some other work for the long tubes to work. i decided to just get shorties instead
i will problably be blasted for that. most people prefer the LT's over shorties.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:02 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ittybittyfds
i looked at getting long tubes on my 96 but due to the location of the cats i would have todo some other work for the long tubes to work. i decided to just get shorties instead
i will problably be blasted for that. most people prefer the LT's over shorties.
The OEM exhaust manifold is probly the main restriction point in a stock system. Shorties help out but LT's are the way to go to get the most benefit. Without more air in, getting more air out is tough on a stock engine. Being a performance car, the vette has been engineered well at the factory. The EPA is the spoiler in this equation. Performance is lost when emissions equipment have to be added. If you can eliminate this factor you will gain. Vettes just dont gain a lot like you would with another car because of the performance engineering. It didnt stop me, I have LTH's and when I can afford to get the exhaust tied back in, some day ,I will post my impressions. I have LT headered every vehicle I have owned except for the ones under factory warranty and have seen some impressive gains in performance. The best was out of an Isuzu Trooper!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:53 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ittybittyfds
Your not alone! I picked up a set of "gently used" JBA Shorty headers for a mere $100 and they bolted right on, stock cats in place, some very minor bracket modifications (spacers and minor grinding). I can't complain. JBA was even helpfull with written installation instructions, and hardware, when I contacted them thru thier website.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Ryan59
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy I bought my '95 from said he put shorty headers on at first and couldn't really feel any difference. Then he had TPiS long-tube headers with a 3" B&B exhaust installed and said it really picked up how the car felt. This is a manual transmission car. Later he said he had a 4:10 gear installed. Stock was a 3:45. He said that made the biggest improvement. Not knowing what a stock '95 feels like, I would say my car feels pretty quick. That should improve after I install the AFR 195 heads & LT4 Hotcam.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:57 AM
ks5shooter
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13

Get notified of new replies

To Long Tube Header Question?

Quick Reply: Long Tube Header Question?