C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fiberglass Resin

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:57 PM
simple green
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass Resin

I have a crack in my floor pan that I'd like to fix. I was told that regular fiberglass resin won't adhere to corvette glass. Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks
Old 01-12-2010, 01:07 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From my understanding, you want to go with SMC resin on a C4 as it is made from SMC. Evercoat makes some SMC resin you may could find locally. I believe the SMC resin is the same as fiberglass resin, but has some stuff in it to help it bit into the SMC you are repairing.

Some like to use Epoxy resin. But it is different and you need special fiberglass matt for the Epoxy. Then other says to use SMC resin since the car is made of SMC as Epoxy can shrink and expand at a different rate compared to SMC.

Got any pics of the crack? You probably would want to check the other side too. Both inside and out as you can have cracks on the inside that you can't see on the outside. And vice versa.

And you may want to check the rear of the floor pans for dents. As the car could have been jacked wrong in the past causing cracks in the front and possible dents at the rear of the floorpan.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I've made a few repairs without buying SMC anything and they worked very well. I've even used epoxy for plastic with good results.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:59 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I've made a few repairs without buying SMC anything and they worked very well. I've even used epoxy for plastic with good results.
What did you use other than SMC and epoxy resin that you say worked fine on the C4? I'm assuming regular fiberglass resin?

I've heard of people using fiberglass resin with no problems. And I've heard of alot of people having problems with fiberglass resin on their C4. As I've read of people finding the fiberglass resin repair starts lifting up over time. Or they thought they had a solid repair, just to go out and mess with it to just get it to start lifting up.

I'm sure the better the prep, the better the repair. But if I had the choice of either SMC or fiberglass resin for a repair on a C4. I would pick SMC resin. Maybe there is a difference between the different fiberglass resin brands. But SMC resin is the same as fiberglass resin, just that it has some stuff in it to help it bite into the SMC you are repairing. Which means it should make a better repair. You only want to do the repair once.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are doing a floor repair why take a chance? Go to your local paint supplier and buy what he recommends. That's what I did and got good results.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:35 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Muffin
If you are doing a floor repair why take a chance? Go to your local paint supplier and buy what he recommends. That's what I did and got good results.
I don't think I'd just go with what a local paint supplier says with regards to fixing a floorpan in a C4.

I know when I had talked to the GM dealer body shop about them fixing a C4 floorpan with cracks and a hole in it, the dealer talked of them applying urethane sealer over the hole. Hardly a good repair or even a repair at all, and that is from a GM dealer body shop who should know more about fixing GM cars than a paint supplier.

Get notified of new replies

To Fiberglass Resin

Quick Reply: Fiberglass Resin