C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1989 Transmission slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 09:35 AM
dspayne
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1989 Transmission slipping?

I was driving on the interstate a couple of weeks ago at about 55 (ice on the road) and the engine started revving up, like I had put it in neutral. I made it back home by manually downshifting to 2nd. I changed the fluid and filter (hoping that maybe it was clogged). No change. When I test drove it, sometimes it would act like normal, other times it would start to go, but then just start revving up. Does this sound like slipping? It kind of feels like there is a shift from 1st to 2nd but then 2nd to 3rd has the problem. I've never had one that slipped like this. Thanks for advice!
Old 01-23-2010, 09:44 AM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dspayne
I was driving on the interstate a couple of weeks ago at about 55 (ice on the road) and the engine started revving up, like I had put it in neutral. I made it back home by manually downshifting to 2nd. I changed the fluid and filter (hoping that maybe it was clogged). No change. When I test drove it, sometimes it would act like normal, other times it would start to go, but then just start revving up. Does this sound like slipping? It kind of feels like there is a shift from 1st to 2nd but then 2nd to 3rd has the problem. I've never had one that slipped like this. Thanks for advice!
Call Ivan 813-810-4766 he will give you free advice....

tell him Mason sent you
Old 01-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You have a bad 3-4 clutchpack. It is the typical way that trans dies of old age.
Overhaul time.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:24 PM
dspayne
Advanced

Default Thank you for your responses!

Thank you Pete for that information. I kind of thought that was the problem but I wasn't sure. Almost all of my vehicles in 35 years have been manuals. I've seen your posts and how much everyone respects your opinion. I'm going to rebuild it myself. The car is a daily driver and I don't push it hard, so the overhaul will not be for high performance, just dependability.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:43 PM
VeTTeMaNC486
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kinda how mine did when it died. Lost 2nd and 4th. I would just drive along giving like 1/8th-1/4th throttle and when it would try to shift to 2nd it would just rev upand go back down to 1st. I had to manually put it in 1st and get going pretty good (didnt like this because it had the engine turning pretty good) and manually put it in 3rd. Although I think mine was more to do with the transmission being stock with a 383 in front of it than old age

Edit: I see where you say you will rebuilt it yourself, sweet, I have always wanted to try this, it just seems daunting I guess. I trust myself with a wrench around most things, but I have always been scared of trying the transmission for some reason.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2010, 01:41 PM
dspayne
Advanced

I'm still kind of hesitant. My wife thinks I can do it. I've done a lot of other things. Usually, if you buy the right parts and read (and follow) instructions... I think the worst part will be getting it in and out of the car.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:04 PM
VeTTeMaNC486
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still kind of hesitant. My wife thinks I can do it. I've done a lot of other things. Usually, if you buy the right parts and read (and follow) instructions... I think the worst part will be getting it in and out of the car.
I believe following instructions would be the key. Get a good shop manual and go at it . You are right, removing it from the car will probably be the "fun" part . When/if my built 700r4 kicks the can I am going to try to find a 4l80e in a junkyard and build it myself.

I say do it, shouldnt be too bad as long as you use quality parts and get a good shop manual.

Good luck
Old 01-24-2010, 02:14 PM
RocketSled
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno if it's verboten or not but corvette-guru has a sticky thread in the C4 tech section that does into detail what's required for a tranny rebuild.

I performed the valvebody part of the build-up on the Sled's 700r4 and watched the guy rebuild the hard parts. It was incredibly informative. A lot of the special tools can be made, and some of the special tools don't make it possible to rebuild, they make it _quicker_ to rebuild.

If you see the transmission apart, you'll see there's _no_ friction material on the clutches. It takes no slipping at all to use up a clutchpack.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Don't underestimate the difficulty of a proper overhaul.
I can assure you that getting it in and out of the car is the easy part.
The above is not meant to discourage in any way.
I would encourage doing it yourself, and offer anything I could to assist.
But to think it is no big deal, is selling the process short.
I spend 20 hours doing one, once it is on the bench.
This is after doing many hundreds of them.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Originally Posted by RocketSled
I dunno if it's verboten or not but corvette-guru has a sticky thread in the C4 tech section that does into detail what's required for a tranny rebuild.

I performed the valvebody part of the build-up on the Sled's 700r4 and watched the guy rebuild the hard parts. It was incredibly informative. A lot of the special tools can be made, and some of the special tools don't make it possible to rebuild, they make it _quicker_ to rebuild.

If you see the transmission apart, you'll see there's _no_ friction material on the clutches. It takes no slipping at all to use up a clutchpack.
Those are my threads. In an attempt to not make them boring, 80% of what was done was not documented.
Cleaning, painting, clearance checking etc.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:28 PM
RocketSled
Burning Brakes

Well, I was keeping things neutral. I figured if he looked at your thread and wasn't scared off... he might have a new career in transmission rebuilding. They've gotta come from somewhere.

I've gotta say, carb rebuilding is a walk in the park compared to 700r4's.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:42 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

I stood and watched my 700r4 being rebuilt and I can tell you without hesitation, Im glad I spent the $1200.00 to have someone else do it..To complicated for my brain...WW
Old 01-24-2010, 07:21 PM
tblt44
Drifting

You can buy a rebuilt one from 1100 to 1600.You say it's your daily driver,I would let someone else do it or buy a rebuilt one.If you do something wrong you will have to pull it and do it again
Old 01-25-2010, 08:39 AM
dspayne
Advanced

I should have clarified a bit. The worst part for me in anything is getting started. So getting it out is usually the first major mental obstacle. I usually spend a lot of time gathering information, reading and getting in the right frame of mind. That said, I don't necessarily think it's going to be a cake walk. I'm pretty detail oriented and when it comes to things like this, I don't do shortcuts. Time is not really an issue, I'm back to driving my old Ranger. Thanks for the advice and reality checks. If I have any questions that I can't find answers to in the forum, I'll post'em.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:25 PM
dspayne
Advanced

Default update on rebuild

I happened to find a 700r4 for 50 dollars. I figured that would be a good one to learn on. When I picked it up, Peter said that he and his dad used to buy them up when they could find them cause auxillary's were hard to come by. They use to use them for dragsters and they didn't need it anymore. He wasn't sure if this was one of the 2 that had come out of a running car. They never used it. Anyway, I'll tear it apart and see what I got. Numbers on it were 2BBM193C
Old 02-20-2010, 04:44 PM
RocketSled
Burning Brakes

Vette 700r4's had a couple of differences, Off the top of my head, the tailshaft was different (no big deal if you already have one), and it wouldn't kickdown into 3rd at WOT...although I've jettisoned most of my tranny knowhow by now.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Pete K
Race Director

I happened to find a 700r4 for 50 dollars. I figured that would be a good one to learn on. When I picked it up, Peter said that he and his dad used to buy them up when they could find them cause auxillary's were hard to come by. They use to use them for dragsters and they didn't need it anymore. He wasn't sure if this was one of the 2 that had come out of a running car. They never used it. Anyway, I'll tear it apart and see what I got. Numbers on it were 2BBM193C
That trans is:
1992 Model Year
Caprice
5.0 Liter
Built on the 193rd day of the year
3rd shift

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 Transmission slipping?

Old 02-20-2010, 11:52 PM
dspayne
Advanced

Thanks Pete!
Old 02-21-2010, 12:17 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Yikes
Old 02-22-2010, 09:06 PM
dspayne
Advanced

Default Yikes

Wow, next time I want to be bored to tears, I'll watch that instead of Napoleon Dynamite. 15 clutches in the 3-4 pak?

Quick Reply: 1989 Transmission slipping?