C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

$1000 to spend, fix 4+3 or upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Bucs34
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O wow...I just got off the phone with a local classic car shop and they said it would cost me $400 just to have them open the tranny, take a look, then close it all back up.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:26 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

wrong shop........LOL

Don't tell anyone it is a Super T10......Just ask about rebuilding a T10 and see what you get.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Bucs34
Racer

I told them it was an 85 with a 4+3 tranny.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Chatman
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 102 Posts

How long have you had the car? I ask because the combination of the overdrive and a shift into 2nd occasionally causes bad shifts. Maybe you would call it grinding depending on your definition. Try turning the overdrive off and driving that way as a general rule. You only need the overdrive when on the highway and even then it is optional.

Also, you might change your gear oil. Try Royal Purples Max Gear (I think). I found it to be a little lighter, especially when cold.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Bucs34
Racer

Originally Posted by Chatman
How long have you had the car? I ask because the combination of the overdrive and a shift into 2nd occasionally causes bad shifts. Maybe you would call it grinding depending on your definition. Try turning the overdrive off and driving that way as a general rule. You only need the overdrive when on the highway and even then it is optional.

Also, you might change your gear oil. Try Royal Purples Max Gear (I think). I found it to be a little lighter, especially when cold.
I had it for one summer. I live in MA so right now its sitting in a storage facility till winter is gone. Im definitely going to change the fluid in both the OD and the manual portion of the tranny and see if that makes any difference before I bring it to a shop or rebuild.

As to turning the OD off, its hard for me to figure out whether its on or off becuase no OD light ever lights up on my dash.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:21 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

The next time you drive it, get it up to operating temp and go through the first four gears. Push the O/D switch and see if the rpm's drop. If so, you are in O/D. Push it again and the rpm's should go back up. Then the O/D is turned off. Remember to use your clutch always when switching the button. There is a yellow light on the driver info center in the middle of the dash that lights up only when the O/D is engaged. You should definitely feel and hear the drop or raise in engine rpms.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:20 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bucs34
As to turning the OD off, its hard for me to figure out whether its on or off becuase no OD light ever lights up on my dash.
That is a red Flag.....you'd know if you were dropping in and out of O/D.

Now we have a whole 'nuther issue to deal with.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Bucs34
Racer

Originally Posted by jhammons01
That is a red Flag.....you'd know if you were dropping in and out of O/D.

Now we have a whole 'nuther issue to deal with.
I can definitely feel the RPMs going up or down when the OD decides to do whatever its doing. Theres just no light on my dash that tells me its operating.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Duntov85
Instructor

Bucs34:

I'd had my transmission out 3 times so here is some sound advice.

Fluid makes a huge difference. Don't use synchromesh fluid. You will get metal flakes in the oil from the shift forks/sliders.

The best fluid I found is either Royal Purple Max gear 75w-90 or Redline 75W-90 NS. (The NS means no slip - make sure you get this one.)

A Doug Nash ST-10 is NOT the same as normal ST-10. The synchro rings are different as are the gear cones. If you use regular parts you will be sorry. They look close, but they're not the same. I know because I made this mistake.

The replacement synchro rings compared to the original design are bad (meaning they don't function as well). I would try changing the fluid first. The original synchro rings from my 90k trans were in better shape than the replacements. I did a rebuild on the 4 speed because I was doing the OD. The OD is perfect and always was since the rebuild. The 4 speed has been a headache because of the aftermarket parts.

Also, per the factory service manual check clutch release. An excellent way to do this is either place a 1 inch thick pipe under the clutch pedal, push the clutch in and wait 10 seconds. Ease the transmission slowly into reverse. If it starts to grind at all the clutch isn't releasing properly.

So try these first: 1) clutch release, 2) if ok, change the fluid with the above.

Good luck!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:21 AM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

I can definitely feel the RPMs going up or down when the OD decides to do whatever its doing. Theres just no light on my dash that tells me its operating.
phew! crisis averted!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:42 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

I had it for one summer. I live in MA so right now its sitting in a storage facility till winter is gone. Im definitely going to change the fluid in both the OD and the manual portion of the tranny and see if that makes any difference before I bring it to a shop or rebuild.

I used to live in MA.

I had an '87 vette. 700R4, T5, then ZF6.

The ZF6 is strong, but makes noise, and shifts kinda clunky. I hated it.

The T5 is a nice smooth rail shifted transmission. It is a bit of work to swap into a C4, but would be fine for most guys. C4 is a lot lighter than a thirdgen fbody. I used to drag race T5's on a supercharged thirdgen that had around 550hp at the flywheel.

Any trans swap you do will negatively effect resale value, which is already low to begin with. I could buy two C4's today for what one went for 5 years ago. If the car is going to stay stock, just fix the T10. They are one of the easier trans to bench rebuild.

To summarize, a ZF6 swap is going to cost you around $2k when done, and it may or may not rattle your brains out depending on the flywheel you use.

A T5 swap probably around $1k, since all of a sudden everyone thinks the T5's are worth $600. I used to get them for $200 all day long.

Fixing your T10, under $1k as long as the OD unit didn't take a crap.

Tremec swap, $3500.

I'd fix the trans you have. Keep the car for a bit, and sell it to a 17 year old in a few years when you decide you want a nicer car.

-- Joe
Old 02-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Bucs34
Racer

Originally Posted by Duntov85
Bucs34:

I'd had my transmission out 3 times so here is some sound advice.

Fluid makes a huge difference. Don't use synchromesh fluid. You will get metal flakes in the oil from the shift forks/sliders.

The best fluid I found is either Royal Purple Max gear 75w-90 or Redline 75W-90 NS. (The NS means no slip - make sure you get this one.)

A Doug Nash ST-10 is NOT the same as normal ST-10. The synchro rings are different as are the gear cones. If you use regular parts you will be sorry. They look close, but they're not the same. I know because I made this mistake.

The replacement synchro rings compared to the original design are bad (meaning they don't function as well). I would try changing the fluid first. The original synchro rings from my 90k trans were in better shape than the replacements. I did a rebuild on the 4 speed because I was doing the OD. The OD is perfect and always was since the rebuild. The 4 speed has been a headache because of the aftermarket parts.

Also, per the factory service manual check clutch release. An excellent way to do this is either place a 1 inch thick pipe under the clutch pedal, push the clutch in and wait 10 seconds. Ease the transmission slowly into reverse. If it starts to grind at all the clutch isn't releasing properly.

So try these first: 1) clutch release, 2) if ok, change the fluid with the above.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info. Ill go through those tests when I finally get access to my car again (In storage for winter )
Old 02-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Bucs34
Racer

Anyone have good tips or threads on a DIY for fluid change in the Manual and OD portions of the tranny?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:42 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Anyone have good tips or threads on a DIY for fluid change in the Manual and OD portions of the tranny?
Drop pan on O/d and replace filter
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1571645223-post6.html

There are drain and fill plugs on the pass side of trans

Old 02-04-2010, 07:13 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

^^What he said.

that O/D has no drain plug. you have to take out all 15 of those 10mm bolts and get an oil bath while doing it.

I cut a drain plug in mine....I did a write up on it, let me know if you want the link as I have to search it out. I'd post it here, but they want money to post pictures...ya' know....$$$$ to help you out.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:05 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jhammons01
I'd post it here, but they want money to post pictures..
Free
http://photobucket.com/
http://register.photobucket.com/
Old 02-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Bucs34
Racer

How much fluid does each unit take?

Get notified of new replies

To $1000 to spend, fix 4+3 or upgrade?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:15 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

How much fluid does each unit take?
The OD unit takes just over 2 quarts of Dexron III ATF and the 4-speed takes about 2 pints of gear oil. You simply fill the 4-speed with gear oil (80W-90 GL5 gear oil) until it runs out the fill plug hole. Make sure you can remove the filler plug before you remove the drain plug. If you can't get the fill plug out, it will pretty hard to refill the trans...
Old 02-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Bucs34
Racer

Thanks for the info everyone! Any other hints or tips about doing the fluid change would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:50 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dude, there is a rebuilt 4+3 in the for sale section with 1000 miles on it for 600 bucks. Claims he has 2800 into it.

Quick Reply: $1000 to spend, fix 4+3 or upgrade?