C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HELP with automatic shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:49 PM
corvettebin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP with automatic shifter

My 95 automatic shifter button is hard to press when i first get into the car after it has set overnight but after i press it the first time it is normal for the rest of the day anyone have any suggestions i have took button out and poured oil down the shifter
Old 03-01-2010, 10:36 PM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds like the botton on my 95,it must be normal
Old 03-01-2010, 11:36 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

do you use the parking brake?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:17 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Your safety solenoid (that checks you have the brake on before your shift out of Park) is going bad. You need to remove it (they no longer make replacements). Remove the shift **** and the plastic over the shifter. On the left side is a cylinder (kind of white, I think, but there is only one, you can't miss it). Unplug the cylinder, pop both ends off sideways with a screwdriver, throw it in the trash. Put things back together. Problem solved.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:07 PM
azrocketman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran into a similar problem with my '86. There is a spring loaded assembly on the '86 that operates the cable for the ignition switch interlock. The lubricants in this area were more like a putty than a lubricant and got even stiffer in cold weather (to the point that I could not turn the ignition lock enough to turn the key). The key worked OK in warmer weather or when the car warmed up. I cleaned the old lubricant off and used fresh Lubriplate on the sliding and pivoting elements. It improved the condition but the cable is still "gummy". I did not pull the cable because the disassembly looked extensive.

Steve

Last edited by azrocketman; 03-02-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:54 PM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markKlein
Your safety solenoid (that checks you have the brake on before your shift out of Park) is going bad. You need to remove it (they no longer make replacements). Remove the shift **** and the plastic over the shifter. On the left side is a cylinder (kind of white, I think, but there is only one, you can't miss it). Unplug the cylinder, pop both ends off sideways with a screwdriver, throw it in the trash. Put things back together. Problem solved.
Thanks I will need to do that to mine soon also

Get notified of new replies

To HELP with automatic shifter

Quick Reply: HELP with automatic shifter