C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HELP, I installed a 1996 LT-1 Distributor (OPTI) in 1993 LT-1, need harness adapter #

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 12:09 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default HELP, I installed a 1996 LT-1 Distributor (OPTI) in 1993 LT-1, need harness adapter #

I already emailed Jeff Kopp, and I know he will come through, but has anyone done this upgrade (to get the vent system), and if so, what did you use for a harness, what part number. Steve
Old 03-10-2002, 03:25 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Re: HELP

ttt
Old 03-10-2002, 03:42 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Re: HELP,

Tom P, can you explain number 5 as I have a 93 with the new Opti, and the harness I recieved has four pins in it also, I have a '95 Opti-Spark on my '92.
Here is what I had to change:
1) Cam -- the broached hole in the center of the cam was not large enough
2) front cover -- the newer Opti needs a larger hole in the front cover
3) cam gear -- the newer Opti is driven by a longer dowel pin, not the cam gear.
4) New Opti-Spark
5) '95 Opti-Spark electrical harness extension -- I had to swap the connector from the old harness extension on one end (just eject the pins and put in the same number on the connector from the old harness, plus there is one less wire: the ground wire is missing).
6) Vacuum harness for newer Opti -- I had to make a hole in my intake bellows for it.

I've been running this setup for 25000 miles
4) New Opti-Spark
5) '95 Opti-Spark electrical harness extension -- I had to swap the connector from the old harness extension on one end (just eject the pins and put in the same number on the connector from the old harness, plus there is one less wire: the ground wire is missing).
6) Vacuum harness for newer Opti -- I had to make a hole in my intake bellows for it.

Old 03-10-2002, 02:39 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Re: HELP,

ttt
Old 03-10-2002, 06:36 PM
LT1GMC
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: HELP, (steve40th)

Tom P, can you explain number 5 as I have a 93 with the new Opti, and the harness I recieved has four pins in it also, I have a '95 Opti-Spark on my '92.
Here is what I had to change:
1) Cam -- the broached hole in the center of the cam was not large enough
2) front cover -- the newer Opti needs a larger hole in the front cover
3) cam gear -- the newer Opti is driven by a longer dowel pin, not the cam gear.
4) New Opti-Spark

4) New Opti-Spark

That is the same experince I had, except you can drill out the existing timing gear to clear the new dowel, and since you have to change the cam, might as well get a Hot cam or atleast a better one! :)
You also might want to wrap the harness with foil and connect to the old ground.
Old 03-11-2002, 12:37 PM
BlueDemon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you talking about the plug on the opti that is on the passenger side. That's the only diff in wiring. I just went to the dealer and got one from a newer car.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP, I installed a 1996 LT-1 Distributor (OPTI) in 1993 LT-1, need harness adapter #

Quick Reply: HELP, I installed a 1996 LT-1 Distributor (OPTI) in 1993 LT-1, need harness adapter #