C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Exhaust comparison Flowmater, Magnaflow &Headman Elite (videos)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 06:01 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
I like the look better but I think I might like that Flowmaster a little more...tough call though. I've always been a Flowmaster guy on my old Fbodies, so I figure I'll remain. Where'd the flowmasters go?
I like the way the flowmaster sounded great but they were too loud on the highway where I spend most of my time. You have too hear it in person the Magnaflow are more throaty yet mellow.

BTW: I have Flowmasters and Y for sale.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:11 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

You gonna cut me a deal? Make some parallel lines on the pipe, chop in the middle of the lines, cut the Y in 3 pieces...easy to ship. I'll TIG it back together and use the sharpie lines as witness marks....bada bing.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:14 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dogfish246
Sounds good! but there is a lot of popping? why is that?
I talked to my tuner about the popping.
He said its unburnt gas in the exhaust.
The car was running lean and I'm waiting for a new tune.
I turned up the FPR to make it a little rich.
He also suggested I get Copper gaskets for the headers.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:30 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I like it!!!

Damn, now I you got me thinking!
Old 03-14-2010, 07:31 PM
joesgulfstream
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You gonna cut me a deal? Make some parallel lines on the pipe, chop in the middle of the lines, cut the Y in 3 pieces...easy to ship. I'll TIG it back together and use the sharpie lines as witness marks....bada bing.
Cart before the horse ?
Old 03-14-2010, 07:56 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by joesgulfstream
Cart before the horse ?
that's exactly what we were talking about in PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:33 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Yeah, I just wanted to talk to him about it and see what kind of numbers we were talking. Inevitably though, I need to see what is on the car, and then proceed but that I was interested if the car was stockie.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:42 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ch@0s
I talked to my tuner about the popping.
He said its unburnt gas in the exhaust.
The car was running lean and I'm waiting for a new tune.
I turned up the FPR to make it a little rich.
He also suggested I get Copper gaskets for the headers.
Interesting! Thanks for the follow-up! Your new magnaflows sound GREAT! Any resonance? How about on the highway? Looks great too! I wonder if the tune will stop the popping; it will definately be interesting to find out!
Oh... What would copper gaskets do compared to your current gaskets?
Old 03-14-2010, 09:43 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I just wanted to talk to him about it and see what kind of numbers we were talking. Inevitably though, I need to see what is on the car, and then proceed but that I was interested if the car was stockie.
Just to give you the heads up, the 92' and newer c4's didn't use the "old school" y-pipe configuration. You'll essentially end up using "only" the mufflers and tips. in which case most guys end up getting generic (center in/out) 40 series mufflers and welding them into the existing place of the stock mufflers. This is what was on my vette when I purchased it. they DO sound good, much louder than the existing magnaflows that I have now.

to the OP, cool thread!

the significant other looks about as enthusiastic to help you out as my
"old lady", when I get her involved in anything car related...
Old 03-14-2010, 10:49 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1
Just to give you the heads up, the 92' and newer c4's didn't use the "old school" y-pipe configuration. You'll essentially end up using "only" the mufflers and tips. in which case most guys end up getting generic (center in/out) 40 series mufflers and welding them into the existing place of the stock mufflers. This is what was on my vette when I purchased it. they DO sound good, much louder than the existing magnaflows that I have now.
Yeah, I'd discussed with him cutting off the mufflers only. Seems like everyone is predicting our conversation here...lol.

I truly intend on doing a full aluminum exhaust v-band'd. I've done it on other cars, and it acts as a tremendous weight reducer, and is a ton more durable than you'd think. It's not very common to most people, but I've built several and the first one I did has over 10k on it. The catch is, your TIG welds have to be SOLID...no craters, full penetration and full backpurge...but I got that handled. Ever hold an entire catback with your index finger?

Need to cut some weight off these things...lol....get'er down to 3k.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:13 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

I never answered the drone question. The exhaust sounds great,, my son and I went on a 150 mile trip and there was so little resonance I didn't even think about it. On the way back it hit me .. no more resonance!!
Old 06-13-2010, 12:29 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

I never answered the drone question. The exhaust sounds great,, my son and I went on a 150 mile trip and there was so little resonance I didn't even think about it. On the way back it hit me .. no more resonance!!
That's great to know! Having worked at Flowmaster for 2.5 years, I'm prejudiced towards them, but you had universal mufflers, not the ones designed for the car so I'm not surprised you had noise issues.

On the other hand, I like the look of the Magnaflows and their tips much better than the "correct" Flowmasters.

Curious what rear gears you're running......and which converter you bought.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:11 AM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats awesome! Im glad it worked out for ya! No resonance and a great sounding exhaust is almost every C4 owners dream!
Old 06-13-2010, 05:11 AM
Phantom_Vette1
Racer

Hey looks great!
So these aren't as long as "long tubes" right?
Just wondering if you have lost any low down torque! seeing as 4 into 1's are usually for top end power! but yours look shorter?
I would really like some tri y's headers! 4 2 1 configuration! but don't know if they are available anymore?
i want torque, not interested in top end! but these hedmans look good!
Old 06-13-2010, 01:46 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Phantom_Vette1
Hey looks great!
So these aren't as long as "long tubes" right?
Just wondering if you have lost any low down torque! seeing as 4 into 1's are usually for top end power! but yours look shorter?
I would really like some tri y's headers! 4 2 1 configuration! but don't know if they are available anymore?
i want torque, not interested in top end! but these hedmans look good!
No torque loss .. did a dyno run recently, I put down 312 to the wheels that's almost 400 foot pounds at the crank and the run was aborted because of a downshift ..
They are long tubes and IMO the best bang for buck mod for a L98.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:26 AM
Phantom_Vette1
Racer

Thanks! Great effort on the dyno!
Well if no torque loss i am very interested!
you still have y pipe into cat then y out correct?

I wonder if going dual's would loose back pressure?
I've been told that long tube 4 into 1's with bullet cats, balance pipe and mufflers would loose torque!
And that i need 4 2 1 pipes to keep the backpressure for the torque! I don't know, so many different stories

Anyway thanks for the reply!
Old 06-14-2010, 07:18 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mcm95403
That's great to know! Having worked at Flowmaster for 2.5 years, I'm prejudiced towards them, but you had universal mufflers, not the ones designed for the car so I'm not surprised you had noise issues.

On the other hand, I like the look of the Magnaflows and their tips much better than the "correct" Flowmasters.

Curious what rear gears you're running......and which converter you bought.
Still running 2.59 i have a 3.07 i bought from fc-soldier so we will know soon.. keep you posted... I also still have the stock converter it is going to be replaced as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust comparison Flowmater, Magnaflow &Headman Elite (videos)

Old 06-14-2010, 07:21 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Phantom_Vette1
Thanks! Great effort on the dyno!
Well if no torque loss i am very interested!
you still have y pipe into cat then y out correct?

I wonder if going dual's would loose back pressure?
I've been told that long tube 4 into 1's with bullet cats, balance pipe and mufflers would loose torque!
And that i need 4 2 1 pipes to keep the backpressure for the torque! I don't know, so many different stories

Anyway thanks for the reply!
I don't know that that is true.. compared to stock? and how much of a diff we talking 8-10 foot pounds *shrug*
Old 06-15-2010, 09:43 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

I don't know that that is true.. compared to stock? and how much of a diff we talking 8-10 foot pounds *shrug*
It's NOT true, it's an oversimplification that has been around forever. An engine does not "need backpressure to make torque", it needs a correctly sized exhuast system that is matched to the power output of the engine. You wouldn't put an 1150 cfm Holley Dominator on a stock 305, right? You also wouldn't set it up with a dual 4.5" exhuast system either. Both of those are too big/mismatched. The stock system on the TPI cars (which were factory rated around 240hp and didn't rev past 5500) was a non-mandrel bent 2 1/4" system merged into a single 3" converter then back out to 2 1/4". This can efficiently support about 300-325 hp depending on the RPM range of the engine. The big limit there is the 3" converter. You can go to dual 2 1/2" mandrel bent pipes and that will support upwards of 425 hp, but that single 3" converter will be your restriction.

That's not to say that you won't make more than 325 hp with that 3" cat in place, only that you would make more power (if the engine is capable of it) with a larger diameter converter there. Of course, you can't get a larger diameter converter, which is why the LTx cars went to true duals.

To pre-empt the next question, a dual 3" system would be good for an engine making a peak of 600-650 hp, but would NOT work well on a stock type engine making maybe 250 - that's where that old myth comes from. Too big is always too big and that goes for carbs/efi, cams, heads, headers and exhuast systems.

This subject could certainly be a thread of it's own, so I won't hijack it any further.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:54 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mcm95403
It's NOT true, it's an oversimplification that has been around forever. An engine does not "need backpressure to make torque", it needs a correctly sized exhuast system that is matched to the power output of the engine. You wouldn't put an 1150 cfm Holley Dominator on a stock 305, right? You also wouldn't set it up with a dual 4.5" exhuast system either. Both of those are too big/mismatched. The stock system on the TPI cars (which were factory rated around 240hp and didn't rev past 5500) was a non-mandrel bent 2 1/4" system merged into a single 3" converter then back out to 2 1/4". This can efficiently support about 300-325 hp depending on the RPM range of the engine. The big limit there is the 3" converter. You can go to dual 2 1/2" mandrel bent pipes and that will support upwards of 425 hp, but that single 3" converter will be your restriction.

That's not to say that you won't make more than 325 hp with that 3" cat in place, only that you would make more power (if the engine is capable of it) with a larger diameter converter there. Of course, you can't get a larger diameter converter, which is why the LTx cars went to true duals.

To pre-empt the next question, a dual 3" system would be good for an engine making a peak of 600-650 hp, but would NOT work well on a stock type engine making maybe 250 - that's where that old myth comes from. Too big is always too big and that goes for carbs/efi, cams, heads, headers and exhuast systems.

This subject could certainly be a thread of it's own, so I won't hijack it any further.
Thanks for the info .. I always thought that was a myth but have never hear otherwise. I can tell you I have built a lot of cars with duals and turn downs.
I figured it was bull.

Quick Reply: Exhaust comparison Flowmater, Magnaflow &Headman Elite (videos)