C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Flywheel has chipped teeth

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 02:57 PM
Hole-Shot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Flywheel has chipped teeth

My Dad and I purchased an 87 coupe a couple weeks ago, and due to the snow, we have not started the car up since we bought it. When we looked at the car, it started fine, (with the exception of one grinding episode). When I asked the seller about it, he said that it “never did that before”.

Well, on Saturday we changed the oil and the tranny (auto) fluid. After we had that done we went to start it up, and the starter just grinded against the flywheel. After a couple of quick “blips” and a couple more grinds with the starter, it finally engaged and the car started. After shutting off the car and trying to restart it again, the starter again made the horrible grind.

After pulling off the flywheel cover, we found that the flywheel has some chips out of it and the majority of the flywheel has messed up teeth. :mad

My question is, how does this problem begin? Do flywheels just go bad over time? If we replace the flywheel, will it happen again? :confused:

The car has 78000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 03-11-2002, 03:20 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: Flywheel has chipped teeth (Hole-Shot)

Most common thing that makes this happen is to not properly shim the starter when you replace it.

Quick Reply: Flywheel has chipped teeth