C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

lateral rear wheel movement

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 01:02 AM
MP6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lateral rear wheel movement

i checked the c beam and everything was nice and tight. i also checked what i believe to be the trans mounts and theyre fine. I dont think its the motor mounts because it idles fine.

recent discovery:

i found lateral movement (significant play) on the right rear wheel. i took the wheel off and it seems to be play in the hub. i'm thinking that it could be a wheel bearing. or could it have something to do with the half shafts or u joints? any help is appreciated.
thanks!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:25 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

With the rear wheels off the ground (and safely supported of course) grab the tire at the top and bottom. See if you can wiggle it in and out from top to bottom. If you can, it's probably the wheel brg. Grab it on the sides try to wiggle it left & right like you were trying to steer it. If you have much movement in the left & right direction, it could be the toe rod end joints are worn and not holding the wheels straight ahead. A worn out wheel bearing will most likely let it move in all directions. It might also make a creaky noise if you roll the car slowly with the engine off and the door open so you can listen. (Don't do that rolling test out on the street! Try in an empty parking lot with nothing to bump into.)
Old 03-17-2010, 02:44 AM
MP6
Pro

Originally Posted by Klondike
With the rear wheels off the ground (and safely supported of course) grab the tire at the top and bottom. See if you can wiggle it in and out from top to bottom. If you can, it's probably the wheel brg. Grab it on the sides try to wiggle it left & right like you were trying to steer it. If you have much movement in the left & right direction, it could be the toe rod end joints are worn and not holding the wheels straight ahead. A worn out wheel bearing will most likely let it move in all directions. It might also make a creaky noise if you roll the car slowly with the engine off and the door open so you can listen. (Don't do that rolling test out on the street! Try in an empty parking lot with nothing to bump into.)
will a bad bearing or toe rod end joints cause tire hop like effects or tire hop under accell or sudden power transfer.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:53 AM
tombrammer
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

The play you describe in the rear wheel is most likely the wheel bearing. On my 93 I raised the rear wheels and put a pry bar under the tire, there was lots of play (up and down tire movement) on the pass side rear and some on the dr side, both wheel bearings were bad when I finally (not an easy job but doable) got them off. I bought bearings from a vendor here - "corvette recycling".
http://www.corvetterecycling.com/category_s/432.htm
The "wheel hop" is most likely from bad/cheep shocks, its not usually a problem with c4s.
Bad u joints show up as a clunk when you take off or slow down, if there is play in them you can leave the car in gear/park raise the back end and rotate the tire forward/reverse and hear the clunk if the u joints are really bad.
Good Luck

Last edited by tombrammer; 03-17-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:16 PM
surfer92
Pro

Originally Posted by Klondike
Check your tie-rods, mine were shot and the rearend swayed, especially under acceleration and in rain.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:58 PM
MP6
Pro

Originally Posted by tombrammer
The play you describe in the rear wheel is most likely the wheel bearing. On my 93 I raised the rear wheels and put a pry bar under the tire, there was lots of play (up and down tire movement) on the pass side rear and some on the dr side, both wheel bearings were bad when I finally (not an easy job but doable) got them off. I bought bearings from a vendor here - "corvette recycling".
http://www.corvetterecycling.com/category_s/432.htm
The "wheel hop" is most likely from bad/cheep shocks, its not usually a problem with c4s.
Bad u joints show up as a clunk when you take off or slow down, if there is play in them you can leave the car in gear/park raise the back end and rotate the tire forward/reverse and hear the clunk if the u joints are really bad.
Good Luck
thanks. thats a pretty good site. thought you guys should know though that there are sets on ebay for $124.95 for both rear bearings.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:05 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Please get the NOS from CorvetteRecycling!
They are only $5 more per side than the unknown eBay bearings.
Replace both of them, if one side is still tight put it on the shelf. I'm betting your passenger side one will look like my passenger side did when I replaced them last year.
When I pulled it off it came in two pieces - its not supposed to do that.
The "roller rear bearing" I put on was much more expensive than the NOS bearings and only lasted a year. I have to replace them again this weekend!

Get notified of new replies

To lateral rear wheel movement

Quick Reply: lateral rear wheel movement