C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HELP with aftermarket radio - power antenna

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:39 AM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

Location: Formerly from the Great White North but now residing in the Desert Southwest NM (The Land of Dis-Enchantment?)
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HELP with aftermarket radio - power antenna

The mystery is solved......The Kenwood deck wiring harness has a seperate power out lead for the amp and for the antenna. What they don't tell you is the radio does not support the antenna power lead, therefore no voltage out to the antenna relay. Came up with a different switched lead and now everything works like it's supposed to.

Here's the story. Bought a '90 with an aftermarket POS radio. Removed it and the Bose CDM and junk speakers. Installed four good speakers, Kenwood radio and Kenwood amp. Everything works but the power antenna. Connected antenna power out to the pink wire on the CDM harness, but must not be correct. Have the shop manuals but things aren't making sense. Is the antenna relay stand alone or is incorporated in the CDM? The antenna did work with the CDM connected and the POS radio. It was a PITA to remove the CDM, hope I don't have to put it back in.

Last edited by NMsharkracer; 03-18-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:21 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Antenna relay is in the rear under the facia panel ; to the left of hatch catch ( looking forward )

Last edited by rodj; 03-17-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:10 AM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

Location: Formerly from the Great White North but now residing in the Desert Southwest NM (The Land of Dis-Enchantment?)

Originally Posted by rodj
Antenna relay is in the rear under the facia panel ; to the left of hatch catch ( looking forward )
OK,
Found the relay, I'll check tonight to see if it's being energized by the radio antenna out.

Would the removal of the CDM have any affect on power through the antenna relay or is it pretty much stand alone?

I originally got a harness adapter from Crutchfield and the four wire plug that duplicates a plug-in in the side of the CDM has Orange/White/Pink/Black with the Orange being the Battery hot, the white is the ignition hot, the black is ground, and the pink is antenna. I connected the Antenna out from the radio to the pink, is that correct?
Old 03-17-2010, 09:35 AM
RLG
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removal of the CDM does not effect the antenna.

I removed mine an the antenna works fine.

when you turn on the radio do you hear the antenna motor ?

If you are getting power to the antenna wire it should work unless the relay is bad.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:36 AM
RLG
Burning Brakes

was it working with the old radio?
Old 03-17-2010, 12:11 PM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you haven't already you will also need to attach the actual antena lead by using an extension (from the module you have removed) to the new deck. I rememeber on mine just going straight to power with the lead from the deck and had it working.

Last edited by mseven; 03-17-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:37 PM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

Originally Posted by RLG
Removal of the CDM does not effect the antenna.

I removed mine an the antenna works fine.

when you turn on the radio do you hear the antenna motor ?

If you are getting power to the antenna wire it should work unless the relay is bad.
Don't hear any antenna motor
Old 03-17-2010, 04:42 PM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

Originally Posted by RLG
was it working with the old radio?
yes it was, the antenna power was spliced in to the stock radio harness that came from the CDM which I have since removed. if it's not necessary, I don't want to have to reinstall it.

Originally Posted by mseven
If you haven't already you will also need to attach the actual antena lead by using an extension (from the module you have removed) to the new deck. I rememeber on mine just going straight to power with the lead from the deck and had it working.
If I understand you, I connected the blue antenna power wire from the new deck to the pink wire that originally plugged into the right hand side of the CDM , which, according to the FSM looks like the power to the antenna relay.

I'm going to do some voltage checking tonight on the relay to see if it's getting energized and to see if there is line voltage at the relay.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:44 PM
RLG
Burning Brakes

Did you buy the CDM bypass harness?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:44 PM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

Originally Posted by RLG
Did you buy the CDM bypass harness?
I believe so. The radio/amp/speakers all work. I have 12V across the antenna relay but do not get ignition voltage on the pink wire (Activates the relay) I'm going to check continuity back to the radio antenna out and check the radio for output voltage to the antenna power lead.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:38 PM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have another question, is the black antenna cable (from the antenna itself) plugged into the new deck?
Old 03-18-2010, 07:33 AM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

Originally Posted by mseven
I have another question, is the black antenna cable (from the antenna itself) plugged into the new deck?
Yes it is. I've narrowed it down to the relay. Actually, I have voltage accross the relay but no voltage to activate the relay.

Last edited by NMsharkracer; 03-18-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:20 AM
RLG
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=NMsharkracer;1573460271]Yes it is. I've narrowed it down to the relay. Actually, I have voltage accross the relay but no voltage to activate the relay.[/Q

Did you try to use the factory wiring or did you use the Amp bypass harness?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:48 PM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

[QUOTE=RLG;1573460992]
Originally Posted by NMsharkracer
Yes it is. I've narrowed it down to the relay. Actually, I have voltage accross the relay but no voltage to activate the relay.[/Q

Did you try to use the factory wiring or did you use the Amp bypass harness?
The Crutchfield adapter harness connects to the four wire power harness that normally plugs into the right side of the CDM. Bat. Volt./Ign. Volt./Power out to antenna relay(the pink wire)/Ground.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:33 PM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

mystery solved...see original post. Thanks everyone for your help
Old 03-18-2010, 08:37 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Glad to hear you solved the mystery. I recall you having problem.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP with aftermarket radio - power antenna

Quick Reply: HELP with aftermarket radio - power antenna