C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Transmission Fluid Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:42 AM
LT1 Rocker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Transmission Fluid Leak

Hi All,

Happy Spring!

Last season I had the 700R4 transmission replaced in my 89 with a remanufactured one not too long before it went into the garage for winter storage. There were no transmission fluid leaks at that time.

It did do some dripping over the winter and the rebuilder and an article I read stated that over time transmission fluid from the torque converter will manage to get out during long term storage.

I am curious if any other C4 owners who stored their rides over the winter experienced the same problems.

I always considered a dry garage floor a happy one!

Thanks
Old 03-18-2010, 09:06 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Torque converters do drain back to the trans over time, but if it is properly sealed you should get no leaks. I would check the dipstick tube seal, it is normally high enough that it will not leak even when bad unless the fluid level gets higher than normal such as might occur when the converter drains back. Once you begin driving it regularly it may not leak again until the next long storage, but I would have the builder check it, good luck.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:55 PM
LT1 Rocker
Intermediate

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info.

I will drive it for a couple of days and see what happens.

Have a great day.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:59 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by toptechx6
Torque converters do drain back to the trans over time, but if it is properly sealed you should get no leaks. I would check the dipstick tube seal, it is normally high enough that it will not leak even when bad unless the fluid level gets higher than normal such as might occur when the converter drains back. Once you begin driving it regularly it may not leak again until the next long storage, but I would have the builder check it, good luck.
Yeah, I had noticed a tranny dipstick tube seal leak. And it had sat for around 6 months. I dropped the pan and replaced the seal. I think I ended up having to put in 7-8 quarts or so. I know it should be 4 quarts. But I figured the fluid must have drained down from sitting for so long. Which is why I had to replace so much. I did have the filter changed 6 months prior. So I say just about all the fluid has been changed now.
The following users liked this post:
Paxtonpup007 (06-09-2022)
Old 03-23-2010, 10:43 AM
LT1 Rocker
Intermediate

Default Done Leak'in

After driving it around for a few days the leak has stopped. It's weird that some will leak and others won't.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:52 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Rocker
After driving it around for a few days the leak has stopped. It's weird that some will leak and others won't.

Go back and read my first post, the fact that your trans is not leaking now does NOT mean everything is happy. If the the dipstick tube seal is bad as I suspect it will leak again the next time you store it, why not get it fixed?

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Transmission Fluid Leak

Quick Reply: C4 Transmission Fluid Leak