C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Left window SLOOWW...Right Window Fast??

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Aopsahl7
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Left window SLOOWW...Right Window Fast??

Just like the title says. The left window takes forevor (FORRREEEVVVEERR in sandlot terms) and the right window is nice a quick. Is this just and indication that the left window motor is nearing the end of its life or is there some sort of adjustment?
Old 06-25-2010, 02:11 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You may find that the fast window has had the motor/regulator replaced at some time and the other is still the original. I was pleasantly suprised to see the upgraded motor/reg in my '85 and yes, it was the fast window. If it bothers you, go ahead and upgrade to the later model scissor style regulator. Its not hard at all.

Good luck with it.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:11 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Edit^^You beat me......I am thinking that his wouldn't be the Ribbon style regulator. That was a running change in mid 1985.....so all '84s and early '85s got the ribbon and the rest got the Scissors.

Electrical motors wear out like anything else.

But they also work off of Voltage......So you could be experiencing loss of power due to corrosion resulting in weak connections. If you can find out how many volts are supposed to power that motor, then you could check with a meter and your question would be answered.

Weak Voltage=check the connections
Full Voltage= motor may be weak

I'd hate to tell you to buy a new regulator for $100.......and then it be just a bad connection.....$100 isn't all that much, but it sure would sucl to spend it...wait a few days for UPS....Then spend an hour R&Ring the regulator only to find the new one is slow as well..........
Old 06-25-2010, 07:19 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

New regulators are about $300 so what's your pain tolerance?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:59 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

thepartsladi has OEM regulators for $100......
Old 06-26-2010, 07:30 AM
rssshen vette
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jhammons01
Edit^^You beat me......I am thinking that his wouldn't be the Ribbon style regulator. That was a running change in mid 1985.....so all '84s and early '85s got the ribbon and the rest got the Scissors.

Electrical motors wear out like anything else.

But they also work off of Voltage......So you could be experiencing loss of power due to corrosion resulting in weak connections. If you can find out how many volts are supposed to power that motor, then you could check with a meter and your question would be answered.

Weak Voltage=check the connections
Full Voltage= motor may be weak

I'd hate to tell you to buy a new regulator for $100.......and then it be just a bad connection.....$100 isn't all that much, but it sure would sucl to spend it...wait a few days for UPS....Then spend an hour R&Ring the regulator only to find the new one is slow as well..........
I had the same thing happen to me. My right window was really slow and the left was normal speed. I replaced the motor in the right door thinking I've solve the problem. NOT! It turns out the guide track the window travels on and the ribbon track had a lot of old grease and dirt that cause the window to move slow. I cleaned it all up with degreaser and simple green. Put it all back together and problem solved. It turned out the orginal motor work just fine.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:57 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rssshen vette
I had the same thing happen to me. My right window was really slow and the left was normal speed. I replaced the motor in the right door thinking I've solve the problem. NOT! It turns out the guide track the window travels on and the ribbon track had a lot of old grease and dirt that cause the window to move slow. I cleaned it all up with degreaser and simple green. Put it all back together and problem solved. It turned out the orginal motor work just fine.
with this too. I guess it all boils down to taking the door panel off first to see what you have. I thought the scissor style didnt come in till 87-88 but J has enlightened me. Kinda makes me wonder if I got the first running change in my '85 with my two types of regulators. You still need to take the panel off to check the electrical connections and the items RSSSHEN has mentioned. Just let us know what you find and we will help you out with it.

Good Luck!
Old 06-26-2010, 02:11 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jhammons01
thepartsladi has OEM regulators for $100......
nobody home there ...

Get notified of new replies

To Left window SLOOWW...Right Window Fast??

Quick Reply: Left window SLOOWW...Right Window Fast??