C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1992 LT-1 oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 02:08 PM
rappini
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 1992 LT-1 oil leak

I need a consensus on my dilemma so I'm going to the folks who would advise. I have a slight oil leak on my LT-1 my mechanic has indicated that he thinks it's the Opti seal they want me to replace the Opti. Being the skeptic that I am and talking to other folks in the our club who have C-4's some of them also have a slight leak and the have elected to do nothing mainly due to cost around $1700, not counting the Opti (I think). Here's the question what do you guys think? Some facts about the car it has 48K miles I show it ever summer, the leak is a slight drip and never shows a loss on the dip stick.
Regards
rappini
Old 10-30-2016, 02:15 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Could be, also the LT1 & LT4 are prone to leaking at the front and rear of the intake. WOW without parts? no comment on the price as I do my own repairs.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:20 PM
charliet615
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Rappini, I have a 93 that does the same thing, it had 49k when I bought it 4 years ago. It now has 68k and a small leak still prevails. I decided to leave it alone due to cost and no telling what else I might run into during disassembly. Like you, the dipstick shows full. IMHO, leave it alone.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:58 PM
rappini
Instructor

Default 92 oil leak

Originally Posted by We Gone
Could be, also the LT1 & LT4 are prone to leaking at the front and rear of the intake. WOW without parts? no comment on the price as I do my own repairs.
The intake was changed before I got the car. They used blue RTV rather than black like production. Mechanic says no leak from intake, and yeah price is not desirable and I do have in the back of my mind to take everything off of the front of the engine and find the leak. I'm concerned about where the oil pan contacts the timing chain cover at the bottom.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:00 PM
rappini
Instructor

Default 92 oil leak

Originally Posted by charliet615
Rappini, I have a 93 that does the same thing, it had 49k when I bought it 4 years ago. It now has 68k and a small leak still prevails. I decided to leave it alone due to cost and no telling what else I might run into during disassembly. Like you, the dipstick shows full. IMHO, leave it alone.
I think you may prevail in this concern.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:19 AM
mrodoc
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rappini
I think you may prevail in this concern.
Oil pan gasket is no big deal, but it takes time and patience. Get car up high on jackstands. Engine must be raised. Oil level sensor removed on drivers side and crank will have to be rotated to clear oil pan as you drop and slide it. As I recall, I had to remove my oil filter housing as well, maybe not?? Getting the front of the gasket where it meets the timing chain cover can be a challenge. Make sure there are no kids around, this is not a PG job.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:16 AM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by charliet615
Mine has been like this for the 9 years that I've owned it. I'm not prepared to go to all that trouble for a small leak.

However, has anyone here tried Lucas Oil Stop Leak? http://lucasoil.com/products/engine-...-oil-stop-leak
Old 10-31-2016, 12:27 PM
rappini
Instructor

Default 92 oil leak

Originally Posted by mrodoc
Oil pan gasket is no big deal, but it takes time and patience. Get car up high on jackstands. Engine must be raised. Oil level sensor removed on drivers side and crank will have to be rotated to clear oil pan as you drop and slide it. As I recall, I had to remove my oil filter housing as well, maybe not?? Getting the front of the gasket where it meets the timing chain cover can be a challenge. Make sure there are no kids around, this is not a PG job.
I just came back from see my mechanic they decided that it is my timing chain cover where it meets the oil pan. In their quote they said they will need to remove the and reinstall the catalytic converter, starter, oil pan, water pump, opti, includes gaskets, oil, and coolant. Plus they said I also have a leak from my intake manifold.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:16 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by rappini
I just came back from see my mechanic they decided that it is my timing chain cover where it meets the oil pan. In their quote they said they will need to remove the and reinstall the catalytic converter, starter, oil pan, water pump, opti, includes gaskets, oil, and coolant. Plus they said I also have a leak from my intake manifold.
you need a new mechanic; you want to drop the oil pan and replace the oil pan gasket, fine; but all that other stuff? total b.s.;

and what pray tell is leaking from your intake manifold?
Old 10-31-2016, 03:53 PM
charliet615
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

As I have said before, leave it alone...........Unless you have really deep pockets......
Old 10-31-2016, 08:27 PM
Lazy Tom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My PCV was clogged which caused the crankcase to be pressurized.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:07 PM
TheMongoose
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote don't touch it!

Mine was leaking oil all over the bottom of the engine at 113k. Did the job in my garage - opti, waterpump, pugs, wires, belt, radiator and hoses. Took me a month of weekends to do in my garage and I'm thinking it would be worth it to pay someone, except that they never would have degreased it like I did.

I debated getting into the timing chain but it was running fine before the opti went so i left it alone because getting the oil pan off it a whole nother project.

They list alot of stuff that the manual says has to come off. In reality you skip alot of that when you've done a few and know where the short cuts are to save time. Theyll skip lots to increase what they make on the job.

If you're still considering it I would at least recommend getting another shop to look at it first.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:12 AM
JayhawkCPA
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 96 Posts

One more vote to leave it alone if it's small. Probably the front seal.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:16 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by JayhawkCPA
One more vote to leave it alone if it's small. Probably the front seal.
One more vote for NOT resurrecting a thread where the last reply is almost a year old.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:21 PM
rappini
Instructor

Default LT-1 Oil Leak

Originally Posted by aklim
One more vote for NOT resurrecting a thread where the last reply is almost a year old.
The garage that I used put a die in the oil and said put 100 miles on it,
It showed the green die so I had the Intake manifold gasket, timing chain cover and oil pan gasket replaced and while they were doing that they showed me what the inside of my Opti looked like so I had that replace. My car doesn't leak a drop starts fantastic and now I'm happier than a pig in $hit.

Get notified of new replies

To 1992 LT-1 oil leak

Quick Reply: 1992 LT-1 oil leak