C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

weatherstrip breakingdown

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:30 AM
hershell973
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weatherstrip breakingdown

I had the weatherstrip on my 95 that runs across the front of my targa and down the windows replaced about 5 years ago by my local Chevy dealer. They are now in as bad a shape now as they were when they was replaced. Is there a product that I can use to keep them from breaking down so quickly. I can't believe it is typical for these to crack and crumble in my hand like this. The only time I saw this was on a 72 Malibu in a junk yard.

Last edited by hershell973; 04-20-2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Jamesnns
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard you can use GE11 sealant to do a temp repair. I have bought a tube and will use on my old DD to test results this weekend. If OK, Ill use on my pass side, on the vert top window...old and cracking and leaks like a ****.
I'll post pics of the "try" if ya want.

Did you ever use conditioner on the strips?
Old 04-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,099 Likes on 666 Posts

It does not matter what you try to do to preserve the crapola GM Vette Weatherstripping. It is an obomination that on Chevy's premier car they have the gaul to come out with this sh*t. I am just amazed that no aftermarket company has yet come out with a durable replacement. The aftermarket is just as crappy, and often does not properly fit.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:14 AM
hershell973
Navigator

Originally Posted by Jamesnns
I heard you can use GE11 sealant to do a temp repair. I have bought a tube and will use on my old DD to test results this weekend. If OK, Ill use on my pass side, on the vert top window...old and cracking and leaks like a ****.
I'll post pics of the "try" if ya want.

Did you ever use conditioner on the strips?
I used Armorall from time to time but even if I used nothing I feel like I should have gotten more than 5 years before it starter cracking.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:19 AM
hershell973
Navigator

Originally Posted by Flame Red
It does not matter what you try to do to preserve the crapola GM Vette Weatherstripping. It is an obomination that on Chevy's premier car they have the gaul to come out with this sh*t. I am just amazed that no aftermarket company has yet come out with a durable replacement. The aftermarket is just as crappy, and often does not properly fit.
I agree why put such s**t on the Vette. I also own a 91 Fire Bird with t-tops and the original seals are in no way the shape that the Vette is.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:29 AM
L98RedVette
Heel & Toe

damn, my weather strips were replaced last year, STILL LEAKS LIKE A ****!

It feels like I drove my car off a bridge and into the ocean with so much water coming in!!
I hate the rain...Hate my weatherstrips more.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Jamesnns
Le Mans Master

Yeah, I hear ya.
You'd "think" they'd have a good replacement by now.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:06 PM
jimgiggles
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM suggests you use dielectric grease, I am currently using this on my fresh install, but I have talked to some bimmer guys and they suggest using Gummi Pflege.. Do a google search, maybe what you're looking for..
Old 04-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Jamesnns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jimgiggles
GM suggests you use dielectric grease, I am currently using this on my fresh install, but I have talked to some bimmer guys and they suggest using Gummi Pflege.. Do a google search, maybe what you're looking for..

Sounds like a lung congestion problem............
Old 04-20-2010, 12:14 PM
jimgiggles
Advanced

lol, you can also try sil-glyde (765-1351) from NAPA, it is very inexpensive, maybe worth a shot for $5/tube
Old 04-20-2010, 12:49 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 195 Likes on 168 Posts

Tell me about it...gets my gall when I look at the weatherstripping on my 89 RX-7 and it still looks brand new while the weatherstripping on my 96 Vette doesn't look like it has much life left to it!

Although considering mine is still original, guess I shouldn't complain too much considering the OP only made it 5 years with his replacement, but I'm going to have to replace mine soon...bummer to hear that after-market isn't any better !
Old 04-20-2010, 01:18 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by L98RedVette
damn, my weather strips were replaced last year, STILL LEAKS LIKE A ****!

It feels like I drove my car off a bridge and into the ocean with so much water coming in!!
I hate the rain...Hate my weatherstrips more.
A year or two ago we had all the weathdrstripping proferssionaly replaced on the wife's '94 Vette.

It had a few leaks as everything settled in. We took it back a number of times and had ALL the leaks fixed. They had to shim out the seals in a number of places until the leaks stopped.

They were very good about it.....we got the sense that is a normal process for replacement seals.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:00 PM
jon0108
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

lol, you can also try sil-glyde (765-1351) from NAPA, it is very inexpensive, maybe worth a shot for $5/tube
I use the sil-glide from Napa every winter when I put my car away for the season. I liberally apply it to all the weatherstripping on the car. Hopefully it prolongs the life of it. It does make it easy to remove the targa in the spring.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:12 PM
bdw18_123
Drifting

Location: Prather, California -1990 ZR-1 White/Flame Red- -SOLD!!-

The weatherstrip on our C4's (the stock stuff) is some type of foam covered with a VERY thin layer of rubber. Which apparently breaks down after several years of exposure to the elements.

They should have made them with actual rubber, not foam. The weatherstripping (still the original stuff) on my '97 F-150 is made like a hollow rubber tube (not solid foam) and it is still in very good condition.

If some aftermarket company could come up with a better performing weatherstrip for the C4 Corvette that didn't break down & worked well for a decent price, they would probably make a lot of money.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:58 AM
joesgulfstream
Drifting

I just put Lonestar latex A&B piller on my 95 it fit perfect. I did not glue it anywhere,I think that is part of the problem with cracking. GM glued the **** out of it it can not move so if it dries out some it can do nothing but crack.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:21 AM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Correct - dielectric grease won't fix old weatherstripping but this is the way to go for protecting it. A little dab will do ya' for a long time
Old 04-21-2010, 02:09 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Once the damage is done, it's unfortunately too late.

But, to keep weatherstrip nice, soft and supple for years, stop by your local plumbing supply or hardware store and pick up a tube of Pool & Spa Lube. It works great.

Get notified of new replies

To weatherstrip breakingdown

Quick Reply: weatherstrip breakingdown