C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

alternator and starter wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 12:04 PM
phucking-low
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator and starter wiring question

I removed the stock wiring harness in my 84 corvette did not need it since i am carb now. Can i just run the alternator directly to the battery with a inline fuse? Also same question with the stater.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:00 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

You can run the alt to the battery if it's a one wire alt, but the original ones need a sense line and a line to an idiot light or a resistor.

For the starter, I don't understand what you're asking. The + side of the battery goes to the starter and the (usually purple) wire from the ignition switch to engage it.

You would have been better off keeping the harness and just not using the FI wires.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:08 PM
phucking-low
Advanced

Then I would have a ball of useless wire, what is a sense line and where dose it go.

Or better yet dose anyone know of a 1 wire alternator that will work on a c4. If so what make model and year car.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:01 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by jv9999
You would have been better off keeping the harness and just not using the FI wires.
The ECM engine control harness that goes through the firewall behind the passenger side head is a separate harness from the sensors and other stuff under the hood. The other harness goes through connector C100 in the firewall behind the battery. That one you still need.

You need the "exciter" wire from the ignition switch to "jump start" the alternator. It applies 12 volts to the field windings until the alternator starts making electricity. You also need the "sense" wire so the voltage regulator knows what the voltage of the battery is so it knows when to start/stop charging.

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 09-08-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:12 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Is it your intention to use the "column mounted ignition"?

You're finally at the point that if you don't understand you might want to ask a "local". If you've an alternator presently on the engine, a starter and a column mounted ignition it should be very straight forward.

What is the ignition system? What is the alternator model?

I would think it very wise to use a small compact MAXI-fuse block for control.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:04 AM
phucking-low
Advanced

Ok lets try and make this a little easier, i took out the engine harness and i left the chassis harness. All i need the factory harness to do is headlights, tail lights, turn signals, everything else like the fuel pump, cooling fan, ignition system i bought jegs harness kits that have there own relays and inline fuses and are going to be wired on a toggle panel. Also the starter is on a push button momentary switch. There was so much useless wiring i not longer needed and wanted to clean up and took out i might have went to far and the chassis harness might not work anymore no big deal jegs sells a tail light and headlight harness kit too not worried about that too much if they work with the factory harness fine if not i put new in. I was going to run a inline fuse in between the alternator and battery.

I am using a GM performance HEI distributor and a MSD street fire ignition box.

So now i have no other factory wiring or ignition system i still use the key to unlock the steering wheel just a little extra security if someone should try and steal it, so i simply need to know how to make the alternator charge the battery? It has two wire terminal on the top and the power output on the back of the alternator.

Last edited by phucking-low; 09-08-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:06 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 2,023 Posts

You made the "phucking mess" so I guess you should be able to sort it? Maybe

I imagine you've got a 12SI alternator so Google is going to be your friend. Try "wiring a 12SI 3 wire alternator". There's a couple different schemes for the "sensing". Take your pick.

You apparently had "no plan" when you started and you're experiencing the results. If you've purchased harnesses from someone I'd think if you poke around enough there should be wiring schemes to implement them into an appropriate cranking and charging system.

I would have thought you might have retained the "key-on" function of the column mount but you mention not. I know how I would have done this but it's certainly something that is maybe better left to you to sort.

Here's a link to a DIY for a "demolition derby" alternator wiring for the early SI alternator. The "IDIOT Light" is a +.

http://www.hartin.com/alternator.htm

Last edited by WVZR-1; 09-08-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:13 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by phucking-low
I removed the stock wiring harness in my 84 corvette did not need it since i am carb now. Can i just run the alternator directly to the battery with a inline fuse? Also same question with the stater.
Hi

The wiring diagram below may be of some help, the alternator and starter are shared with 84 & 85 models.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:28 AM
phucking-low
Advanced

found this much simpler then doing the derby wiring

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...50754/10002/-1
Old 09-09-2015, 10:07 PM
Corvette410
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only difference between a one wire alt and the one on your car is the one wire is jumped internally and your factory one is not if you cut the two wire plug off your harness and jump wire a to the bat terminal it will serve the same purpose and will work

Get notified of new replies

To alternator and starter wiring question

Quick Reply: alternator and starter wiring question