C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Drivers side window, Goes halfway down then all hell breaks loose!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:12 PM
BuzzinHornets
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Drivers side window, Goes halfway down then all hell breaks loose!

So today I came out from a nice lunch and fired up the vette, before closing the door I attempted to lower the window. The window came down to aboyt the halfway point then stopped. Here is the kicker, at the halfway point the drivers side mirror made a horrible noise and adjusted itself all the way in. Now it does look as if the window is hanging up on something but I cant imagine what it would be hitting to make the electric mirror move? I will be digging into this tomorrow but thought somebody might have an idea of what to look for once I get inside the door....
Old 06-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Bondami
Race Director

Location: Southside of Western Norte Americano State of Confusion, ColoFornia
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude '13

Sounds like the wires for your electric mirror have come loose and ended up under the window glass.. and bzzzzap..
Old 06-07-2010, 06:48 AM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bondami
Sounds like the wires for your electric mirror have come loose and ended up under the window glass.. and bzzzzap..

Imagine a V shaped run of wires. Normally that V points forward and the apex is held in a clip. This way the glass clears it with no problem. Now imagine the V pointing down and the glass catching on it.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:44 PM
BuzzinHornets
Advanced

The wires are for sure still intact as the mirror adjustment operates as normal. The sound was the same sound that is made if you were to push on the mirror with your hand, grinding gears. You can also see the housing move. No doubt somethig is getting snagged as the window lowers.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:02 PM
94vettelover2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experiance these types of problems happen at the worst times
Old 06-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Preacher94
Advanced

Same thing happened to me except for the mirror thing. There are a number of wires in there held together in a black flexible casing. It is held up on the inside near the door mirror. If it falls out it will catch under the window glass and about half way down, it stops if from going any further.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:41 AM
BuzzinHornets
Advanced

Originally Posted by Preacher94
Same thing happened to me except for the mirror thing. There are a number of wires in there held together in a black flexible casing. It is held up on the inside near the door mirror. If it falls out it will catch under the window glass and about half way down, it stops if from going any further.

That was it. The wires for the mirror adjustment had come out of a clip way up in the corner of the door. Funny because the clip was good, I know this because as I had my hand up in there ( NOT EASY ) I accidently closed it and could not reopen it. So after some creative zip tie manuvers with one hand in a space I could not see into, I got the cable secured properly. All is right with the world again!

Get notified of new replies

To Drivers side window, Goes halfway down then all hell breaks loose!

Quick Reply: Drivers side window, Goes halfway down then all hell breaks loose!