C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Roll center heights

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:14 AM
LT1inaMGB
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Roll center heights

Does anyone know the roll center heights front and rear for a stock height 1988 C4?
Old 06-28-2010, 12:07 AM
MrVette90l98mt
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I would like to know as well. Sure hope the roll center is lower in the rear due to having the gas tank so high up on the chassis. I have been thinking of making a low CG gas tank that would be in place of the spare tire and jack. I figure you can easily drop 30-50 lbs. 6-8 inches lower behind the axle where it matters most.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:35 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1inaMGB
Does anyone know the roll center heights front and rear for a stock height 1988 C4?
'84 front: 2.9
'84 rear: 6.6

I think the rear got revised a bit in 1988, but I don't have a number.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:09 AM
LT1inaMGB
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mashinter
'84 front: 2.9
'84 rear: 6.6

I think the rear got revised a bit in 1988, but I don't have a number.
Thanks. Do you think the rear center was lowered in '88?
Old 06-29-2010, 07:53 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1inaMGB
Thanks. Do you think the rear center was lowered in '88?
Makes sense...They reduced camber change with wheel travel; I'm assuming this was due to the lower profile tire having greater camber thrust and steering the rear too much with rear suspension travel.

Because the upper link is the halfshaft and can't be changed, they dropped the lower link's inboard pivot to lengthen the effective swing arm, which also dropped the roll center...my guess, anyway. (That's what they did in 1968. The roll center went from 7.56 in '67 to 4.71 in 1968. They changed the bracket that mounts the inner pivots for the strut rods.)
Old 06-25-2014, 10:14 PM
C7Kevin
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MrVette90l98mt
I would like to know as well. Sure hope the roll center is lower in the rear due to having the gas tank so high up on the chassis. I have been thinking of making a low CG gas tank that would be in place of the spare tire and jack. I figure you can easily drop 30-50 lbs. 6-8 inches lower behind the axle where it matters most.
Hello my friend,
I suspect that you have an incomplete understanding of the interplay between roll centers and CG as they relate to a vehicle's tendency to roll. You see, the distance between a roll center and CG height forms a moment arm(lever, if you wish) that will be acted upon by cornering forces to cause the vehicle to roll. If that moment arm is long(rather than short), it will cause more roll. On the other hand, if the moment arm is short, because of a higher roll center and/or a lower CG, then roll will be less for a given cornering force.

So, your expressed preference for a LOW RC would indicate that you want more roll, not less. Not good in this case.

There are many good books/websites available that explain this stuff in detail. Good luck with your suspension studies !!!
Old 06-26-2014, 12:15 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Kevin
Hello my friend,
I suspect that you have an incomplete understanding of the interplay between roll centers and CG as they relate to a vehicle's tendency to roll. You see, the distance between a roll center and CG height forms a moment arm(lever, if you wish) that will be acted upon by cornering forces to cause the vehicle to roll. If that moment arm is long(rather than short), it will cause more roll. On the other hand, if the moment arm is short, because of a higher roll center and/or a lower CG, then roll will be less for a given cornering force.

So, your expressed preference for a LOW RC would indicate that you want more roll, not less. Not good in this case.

There are many good books/websites available that explain this stuff in detail. Good luck with your suspension studies !!!
Maybe he's learned something over the past 4 years, if he still is around.

Get notified of new replies

To Roll center heights

Quick Reply: Roll center heights