C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

c4 7 speed, shifter locked in reverse when starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:31 PM
grayblack88
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default c4 7 speed, shifter locked in reverse when starting

New experience, my 1988 C4 7 speed manual tran, when depressing clutch and starting car, shifter is locked in reverse and can not be moved to neutral. Normally car is parked in reverse, to start depress clutch, start car and move shifter into neutral. I can not move the shifter --the clutch pedal feels "soft" internal leak in the master cylinder?
I installed this clutch master cylinder myself five years ago. Possibly the slave cylinder? Any suggestions?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:13 PM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grayblack88
New experience, my 1988 C4 7 speed manual tran, when depressing clutch and starting car, shifter is locked in reverse and can not be moved to neutral. Normally car is parked in reverse, to start depress clutch, start car and move shifter into neutral. I can not move the shifter --the clutch pedal feels "soft" internal leak in the master cylinder?
I installed this clutch master cylinder myself five years ago. Possibly the slave cylinder? Any suggestions?
Do you mean you can move the shifter into neutral, but not into gear? Does it shift normally with the engine off? If so you have a hydraulic problem. Generally I recommend replacing the master and slave cylinders at the same time.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 PM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

7 speed ??? was that an option for 88 only???
Old 07-14-2010, 09:37 PM
batchman
Advanced

My guess - steering column is bound up, wiggle the wheel. If the clutch was that bad the car would be trying to move when the engine started.

Good luck,
- Jeff
Old 07-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Jbyrd43
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by tblt44
7 speed ??? was that an option for 88 only???
I think 7 speed is the 4+3
Old 07-14-2010, 10:13 PM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbyrd43
I think 7 speed is the 4+3
Ok how in the heck does the 4 + 3 work ?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:33 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tblt44
Ok how in the heck does the 4 + 3 work ?
Cool tranny. The OD part works in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. I guess the idea was to save fuel around town but that where you have fun shifting thru the gears. It will downshift automatically when you get down on it just like an auto would, then back up when you ease back off it. I generally just leave it off until I get up to highway speed and then use it as a 5th gear.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:38 PM
grayblack88
6th Gear

Default C4 this is 4 speed manual with 3 speed overdrive

Once started I can not move the shifter out of reverse. The clutch is depressed when I do this. It has a tendency to lurch back about a few inches. The car must be started with the clutch depressed and the car in reverse.
I am the original owner of this 1988 C4 and the car has only 52,000 miles with the original clutch.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Once started I can not move the shifter out of reverse. The clutch is depressed when I do this. It has a tendency to lurch back about a few inches. The car must be started with the clutch depressed and the car in reverse.
Your clutch isn't releasing fully. When you start it, its LIKE you don't have the pedal depressed all the way...even though you do. The torque load on the trans gears is what prevents you from getting it out of reverse. That the car will "lurch back a few inches" is due to the clutch dragging and trying to move the car.

Check your clutch fluid first, but at this age, I'm guessing that you have a bad master or slave cylinder. The master is easy to diagnose; if there is (brake) fluid on the inside of the fire wall, where the clutch pedal pushrod goes through, then your master is bad.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:47 AM
grayblack88
6th Gear

Thanks Tom400, you are correct, I should have done this right away... I know better. The clutch master cylinder reservoir was empty... an external leak. I filled it, pumped the pedal to get pressure and was able to move shifter into neutral. Since I had previously driven the car about 50 miles and simple parked it in the garage, I didn't suspect a leak because the car and shifting had been perfect. thank goodness I made it home. I can replace the clutch master cylinder myself, so no problemo!

As for those interested in the 4 +3 manual tran, my daily driving in overdrive ( not city )gets around 18 to 20mpg and on the highway at steady speed around 23 to 24. In 2nd , 3rd or 4th overdrive, pressing hard on the gas will downshift. The overdrive is activated by a button on the shift ****.

Get notified of new replies

To c4 7 speed, shifter locked in reverse when starting

Quick Reply: c4 7 speed, shifter locked in reverse when starting