C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear Passenger wheel clanking/squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:24 PM
dirtyrobinson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Passenger wheel clanking/squeaking

Hey all, as the title says I have a nice clanking/squeaking sound coming from my rear wheel. I've taken the wheel off and first one brake pad had a broken clip so I figured cool this was my problem and replaced them. That didn't fix it, I've taken the wheel off and the rotor but not much else. I'm thinking its either the half shaft, u-joint, bearing, or emergency brakes. But those all kinda looked fine and it appears to be a fun project to get the bearing/half shaft out since I don't have a lift and theres not much room to get an air wrench in there (bearing screws were way too tight to try and get off by hand).

I have noticed that this sound is louder when I'm slowing down and when I'm at lower speeds, it appears to go away at about 25mph or so. It's not any different when I go around turns. The car doesn't vibrate or anything at higher speeds either. It clanks when I push it when the car is in park and it squeaks if I bounce the suspension.

So my question is anyone have an idea what this is? I've done searching and people have posted on other sites, with what was described to be what I'm hearing, saying the cause of this noise was their U-Joint. Do U-Joints make any noticeable sounds when they're "bad"? If not that any second guesses?

Thanks guys, hope to narrow a problem and get it taken care of soon!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:46 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's part of a rotating system that's bad it usually won't go away at higher speeds. Sounds like maybe a loose shock or spring mount. Maybe a slightly worn drive joint. Just guessing.

BTW how do you push the car when it's in park? You must be very strong.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:27 PM
dirtyrobinson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol sorry I meant like just nudge it a little like when I push on the rear quarter. When it was jacked up and I had the wheel off you can grab the lug nut studs and the axle spins a little maybe a quarter of an inch. I didn't test the other side to see if it does the same but I'm not an expert with suspension and drivetrains, is that normal? or a sign from the bearing?

My brother's gonna swing by tomorrow and we're gonna jack it up again and go over it once more so I'll check all the bushings and and mounting bolts.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:52 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Could be the 1/2 shaft U joints.

Wiggle and giggle everything and find what is squeaking/rattling.

When a mount bolt fell out of the upper shock mount I'd get a rattle and thump on mine.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:11 PM
rssshen vette
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the exact same problem a few years ago with my 85. After probing around I found it was one of the halfshaft U joints. One of the U joints was completely dried out inside the cup and the niddle bearings begain to show surface rust. Just to be sure it's not the hub bearing. The next time you drive the car stop after you've traveled a couple of miles and get out. Check the wheel where the squeeking is coming from. Place your hand on the center of the rim near the lugs nuts. If the wheel is scorching hot. Then it's the wheel bearing. If the wheel isn't scorching hot is the U joints.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Passenger wheel clanking/squeaking

Quick Reply: Rear Passenger wheel clanking/squeaking