C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

creaking suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:31 PM
blakngold4life
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default creaking suspension

on the way home Sunday I noticed an awful creak in the front suspension. What are some common places to check and ways to fix this? I'm guessing I need to change some bushings and will be doing a poly kit this winter on most everything. I'm taking the car to the track Friday, so I hope this audible issue doesn't turn into a problem, if anyone knows some temporary fixes that will last under heavy use that would be great. Any other info or direction would be great.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:37 PM
TimV SR
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My '85 had a creaking sound in the front end after doing the poly-bushing upgrade, but in one place only-the passenger side sway bar bushing. I have to lube that one once in a while. I have no idea why the rest are quiet.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:51 PM
MotorCity_87_C4
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Upper and lower bushings for the control arms.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:17 PM
primalurges
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blakngold4life
on the way home Sunday I noticed an awful creak in the front suspension. What are some common places to check and ways to fix this? I'm guessing I need to change some bushings and will be doing a poly kit this winter on most everything. I'm taking the car to the track Friday, so I hope this audible issue doesn't turn into a problem, if anyone knows some temporary fixes that will last under heavy use that would be great. Any other info or direction would be great.
Visiual inspect your front sway bar bushings where they mount to the chassis. Typically when those go, the sway bar will rub up against the bracket and you'll get the nasty metal on metal squeak. If that is you're problem you're looking at about a $30 fix and a couple hours of work if you replace all the bushings that come with the sway bar kit which you should of course replace while you're there.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:46 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by primalurges
Visiual inspect your front sway bar bushings where they mount to the chassis. Typically when those go, the sway bar will rub up against the bracket and you'll get the nasty metal on metal squeak. If that is you're problem you're looking at about a $30 fix and a couple hours of work if you replace all the bushings that come with the sway bar kit which you should of course replace while you're there.
I have that on my Ford Exploder, man that sound is annoying.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:52 PM
blakngold4life
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

everything looks decent, not great but intact. will there be any negative effects from tracking the car like this, aside from looking like a kid who doesn't have enough money to replace some bushings (they will be replaced just no time this week!)
Old 08-17-2010, 09:17 PM
primalurges
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pop your hood, grab the swaybar, push and pull a couple of times on both sides of the car to confirm that the noise is coming from there. If it does and it just recently started making noise you shoud be ok for the weekend. However, if left unattended it will start eating into the sway bar and eventually cause premature wear of the new bushings. If it is not the sway bar your should identify the source before you go tracking in order to ensure it is safe to do so.

Get notified of new replies

To creaking suspension

Quick Reply: creaking suspension