C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 LT1 fuel gage

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:28 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Default 92 LT1 fuel gage

I am having trouble with the fuel gage on a 92 LT1. I am getting an incorrect reading showing a full or partially full tank when the gas tank is actually empty or just about empty.

I have replaced the fuel pump and followed the standard sending unit maintenance outlinned in the attached write-up. The sending unit Ohm's just fine, but the gas gage still reads nearly full and does not change when I move the float level. I am now thinking that this is a bad dash panel control unit.

Any ideas???
Attached Files
Old 08-30-2010, 03:04 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is possible that the problem is one that has been found in many cars, not just Corvettes, and is caused by deposits on the sending unit from gas with ethanol. Some people have had success dissolving the deposits with Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus additive, run through a couple of tankfuls of gas. It could be worth a try.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:28 PM
0KEN W ANDERSON
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pmihaltian
I am having trouble with the fuel gage on a 92 LT1. I am getting an incorrect reading showing a full or partially full tank when the gas tank is actually empty or just about empty.

I have replaced the fuel pump and followed the standard sending unit maintenance outlinned in the attached write-up. The sending unit Ohm's just fine, but the gas gage still reads nearly full and does not change when I move the float level. I am now thinking that this is a bad dash panel control unit.

Any ideas???
GM changed specs to a "film" resistor in the early 90's to correct the problems with high sulpher content in the gas supply. All the new service parts use this redesign today. Vendors, such as Corvette Central, sell the new sender for under GM pricing.

Get notified of new replies

To 92 LT1 fuel gage

Quick Reply: 92 LT1 fuel gage