C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Guys who have done a TCC swap in the garage

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 08:55 PM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Guys who have done a TCC swap in the garage

If my ramps put the car 12" off the ground will I be able to do this? Could you give me a very basic run-down of the procedure and any special tools needed? Thanks, Bob
Old 03-30-2002, 03:17 AM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Guys who have done a TCC swap in the garage (BobMachus)

I am really under the weather right now-head hurts! Can ya tell what TCC stands for?
Old 03-30-2002, 04:20 AM
drive it
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

If my ramps put the car 12" off the ground will I be able to do this? Could you give me a very basic run-down of the procedure and any special tools needed? Thanks, Bob
I'd try to get it higher than 12 inch. You need to be able to drop the tranny and still have room to work! And then you could really use the room to get the tranny on a trans jack to raise it back into place. Basic tools + a few long extensions needed to get at the engine to trans bolts; and an xtra jack to hold up the back of the engine. Also be sure to fill the torque convertor with a few qts. before you install it. Oh yea-you'll need a 12 pk of your favorite suds too! :cheers:
Old 03-30-2002, 04:40 AM
NoWorries
Race Director

Hey Bob, I didn't change my torque converter, but I did pull the transmission to swap the flexplate(wrong one when I built the motor and starter quite engaging).

If you get the whole car off the ground, level you won't loose any fluid out of the rear seal of the transmission.

Lets see, tips...make sure you tape the u-joint caps on, if they fall off, you've gotta replace the whole joint. Torque on the drive-shaft bolts is 165 inch lbs. I am as religious about that as the rod-cap bolts, very, very important.

You'll need a 14 mm socket, and lots of extensions, the end extension should be a swivel or universal, to get the 2(of 6) top transmission bolts. Pull the windshield wiper motor, and EGR exhaust tube, it will make things a lot easier. You can do the whole thing from the bottom, but the top two can be gotten from the top, both are hard, there is no easy way.

Remember to remove the TV Cable, Fill tube, Speed connection, TCCM connector, and shift linkage before removing the transmission.

Fill the Torque Converter first before installing it.

Get a transmission cooler.

Have fun!

P.S. I don't know how tall a TH700R4 is, or how high I had mine, but my roomates TH350 which is sitting on the floor is 16 inches tall...plus the height of the jack spacer. It might be time to invest in some really tall jack stands and some 2x4's to get some extra height. This is only important if you plan to remove the transmission, there is lots of room to slide it back into the prop-shaft tunnel.

I don't know when you're doing it, but if its not on a Monday or Thursday, I've IM'd you my phone number if you have a question in the middle.

[Modified by NoWorries, 1:45 AM 3/30/2002]

[Modified by NoWorries, 2:26 AM 3/30/2002]

[Modified by NoWorries, 12:59 PM 3/31/2002]
Old 03-31-2002, 02:57 AM
Kevin 88
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 700R4 is 17" pan to top.
Yes, you can do it with 12" ramps because you just need to drop the transmission a few inches in order to have the room to slide it back far enough to pull the torque converter. (TCC is torque converter clutch)

If you tip the tranny forward the torque converter can slide right off and hit the floor (I have done that). When you pull the converter off the transmission it will dump fluid everywhere (I have done that).

Unfortunately dropping the tranny a few inches still requires all the steps of complete removal that NoWorries outlined.

A few years ago I didn't have a transmisson jack so l got everything unbolted, supported the tail with the floor jack, positioned myself under the car with my feet at the rear and my head under the oil pan - and yanked the transmission off the block locating pins and onto my chest.
I immediately realized I had reached a level of stupidity I had not imagined possible. Then I realized everyone would make fun if they found my body pinned under the tranny so I shoved it onto the concrete. Hardly dented the pan.

Anyway you can use a floor jack to support the transmission under the pan if you use plywood to spread the load. Lift the transmission to take the strain off the mounting hardware and it will slide back easily. Then lower it a little and slide it back a little more. Keep it wedged against the tunnel. When you have about 6" of clearance you can pull the converter (which is really heavy and easy to drop - I have done that too).

Use a flare nut wrench to remove the cooler lines 'cause they're easy to strip with an open end wrench (I have done that) - I think they're 13mm.

Good Luck

[Modified by Kevin 88, 1:00 AM 3/31/2002]

[Modified by Kevin 88, 1:00 AM 3/31/2002]
Old 03-31-2002, 03:02 AM
NoWorries
Race Director

Default Re: Guys who have done a TCC swap in the garage (Kevin 88)

Dude, I'm cracking up. :lol: How's that quote go, "Learn from others experience, you don't have time to do it all yourself." You've certainly tried. :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats transmission weighs something like 157 lbs dry, add 10 quarts of heavy oil, and you're really cruizin' for a brewzin'.
Old 03-31-2002, 10:17 AM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Guys who have done a TCC swap in the garage (NoWorries)

...Torque on the drive-shaft bolts is 165 lb ft...
...*What*???...Say again your last, over!... :eek:
Old 03-31-2002, 10:48 AM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

Kevin 88,

Thanks THAT is exactly what I was looking for. I am gonna beg, borrow or steal a tranny jack, I have heard too many horror stories not to. The important thing is that I know that there is enough room under there to do this swap with 12" ramps.

:cheers:
Old 03-31-2002, 10:56 AM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

- and yanked the transmission off the block locating pins and onto my chest.
I immediately realized I had reached a level of stupidity I had not imagined possible. Then I realized everyone would make fun if they found my body pinned under the tranny so I shoved it onto the concrete.
Been there, done that. In my case it was the transaxle out of an Audi 5000. Thought Darwin had a new contender for a brief time. :lol: :lol:
Old 03-31-2002, 11:41 AM
HighHopes85
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Guys who have done a TCC swap in the garage

Did it in the middle of winter in a driveway. Didn't need a creeper cause I just slid on the ice.

I only had the front of the car up to the 2nd highest stop on the floorstands and the back up to about the middle notches.

I had plenty of height to remove the tranny but in order to do so, I had to remove the passenger side tire and I slid the bellhousing out between the spindle and the wheelhousing.

Fun? No. Effective? :yesnod: -Matt-
Old 03-31-2002, 12:30 PM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

I have done it twice, in the garage, on jack stands (my Impala, the Vette is an M6). The man is right when he says there's two words: TRANNY JACK. I dropped the trans onto the jack, swapped the TC and jacked the trans back into place.

Most tool rental places have them,my local joint charges $25 for the day, IMHO, very cheap considering how much it helps.

Good Luck,
Eric
Old 03-31-2002, 12:42 PM
want2drivemy85
Racer

[QUOTE] - and yanked the transmission off the block locating pins and onto my chest.
I immediately realized I had reached a level of stupidity I had not imagined possible. Then I realized everyone would make fun if they found my body pinned under the tranny so I shoved it onto the concrete.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: omg, and i thought I was the only one!
Old 03-31-2002, 03:57 PM
NoWorries
Race Director

Default Re: Guys who have done a TCC swap in the garage (Rich B.)

...Torque on the drive-shaft bolts is 165 lb ft...

...*What*???...Say again your last, over!... :eek:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Wave off, wave off! That should be inch lbs! Eek!

Get notified of new replies

To Guys who have done a TCC swap in the garage

Quick Reply: Guys who have done a TCC swap in the garage