C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Are my Rear Hubs going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 04:16 PM
y5e06
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Are my Rear Hubs going bad?

a couple of days ago I noticed a scraping sound. I thought it was my left rear brake pad scraping the rotor, like it was time to replace them. Then today when pulling away from a stop I heard these loud popping sounds. I was about 30 miles from home. I pulled over to check to see if I could see anything but nope, nothing appeared wrong. The popping was pretty bad. The scraping got a little worse but went away when I got above 30 mph or so, but it seemed to be more audible when I made right hand turns. I drove really easy, I didn't want my wheel falling off or something. so with out pulling anything apart yet, does this sound like my rear bearing assembly going out? I hope not. This is going to be expensive, isn't it? What ever the problem is, I'm going to do the job myself. It may be a few days before I can actually get to working on the car, so it looks like I'll be vetteless for a while. How much do these bearing assemblies cost?
Any other ideas?

thanks,
Morgan
Old 03-31-2002, 05:36 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Are my Rear Hubs going bad? (y5e06)

It sure sounds like the wheel bearings.

the rears are rather cheap... I got mine at Advanced Auto for about 140.00 each.

If you do this yourself, you will need 2 or 3 T55 torx sockets. The screws can be VERY VERY tight, and the torx bits might get chewed up.

Old 03-31-2002, 07:20 PM
y5e06
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Need new U-joints, what kind?

Well, my initial assessment seems to be a bit off. I just now jacked up the car and took a peak a the half shaft U-joints. looks like the outer driverside U-joint is bad. I found pieces of needle bearings. Obviously its bad to find those. they were laying inside of the knucle below the U-joint. One piece was still round and the other looks as if it had been smashed by a hammer.
So I guess I'll be replacing all four joints on the drive shafts. Anyone know what brand I should get? I have another post started in regards to this last question.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=269068

I would have bet money that it was the wheel bearing by the way sounded. I guess I'll do the U-joints first and then see.

Get notified of new replies

To Are my Rear Hubs going bad?

Quick Reply: Are my Rear Hubs going bad?