C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Are there shorter spark plugs. One is to long with new headers.Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 07:30 PM
vettemech85
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there shorter spark plugs. One is to long with new headers.Please help!

I just finished installing TPIS headers on an 85 with straight plug heads. One of the drivers side plugs is so close to the header tube that the plug boot touches the tube. I recall seeing shorter spark plugs some where? If I could find them I think the wire boot would fit. If I or some one here find the shorties, can I just replace the one? Or should I use all shorties? I did start the car for a second and it sounded great! So close but yet so far away. TIA
Old 03-31-2002, 09:47 PM
Ross96coupe
Advanced

Default Re: Are there shorter spark plugs. One is to long with new headers.Please help! (vettemech85)

I believe Accel, makes shorter plugs to fit. I think they are yellow and have seen them at auto parts stores. :)
Old 03-31-2002, 09:48 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Are there shorter spark plugs. One is to long with new headers.Please help! (vettemech85)

I think some guys in the Engine section were talking about this problem and listed some numbers. You might also check with your local parts houses.

You can use ceramic plug boots but still cannot have direct contact with the headers. I use MSD wires on the IROC with headers. Though several boots are quite close to the headers I've not had any melt down problems.
Old 03-31-2002, 10:22 PM
vett4cw
Instructor

Yes, Accel plugs are shorter... there are others that are shorter than stock plugs, but Accel, I believe, is the shortest. I have the same issue on my '85 with Hooker headers... went through a number of scenarios with heat shields, plug wires until I finally purchased a high-quality plug wire from NAPA Autoparts... it is their brand. Same wire size as MSD (which I also tried) but the boot is smaller in diameter and has never burnt or caused me any other problems.
Old 03-31-2002, 10:59 PM
85vet
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

I just went thru the problem after installing the TPIS LT headers on my 85. Burned up boot on #7 withen 15miles of driving.
Found the Accel Header plugs at Summit #ACC-8198 (8plugs for 23.95).

While you are at it, consider purchasing the Taylor Boot protector #TAY-2565 for at least #1 and #7 boots. They are extremely close. I bought them for all eight since one plug problem can cause havic with the engine.

Go to http://www.summitracing.com and check the items out.

My engine runs great now :cheers:
Old 03-31-2002, 11:31 PM
vettemech85
Advanced

Default Re: Are there shorter spark plugs. One is to long with new headers.Please help! (85vet)

Nice car 85vet,I love the color. :) I just purchased the accel plugs. Boot protectors are a damn good idea also. Thanks all!!!!! :cheers:
Old 04-01-2002, 12:54 AM
85vet
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Thanks,

Another quick note - If you get the boot protectors, put silicone on the outside of the boot before putting into protector. The first one I did took about 15minutes to work it thru. With silicone the next seven took about 15 minutes total.

Where is the picture of your car? I see it is medium blue :cheers:

Good luck.

Jim
Old 04-01-2002, 01:08 AM
vettemech85
Advanced

Default Re: Are there shorter spark plugs. One is to long with new headers.Please help! (85vet)

Thanks 85vet. My computer is one step up from a typewriter and no digital photo equipment. Hopefully a friend of mine will let me use his stuff. My car is identical to yours. Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Are there shorter spark plugs. One is to long with new headers.Please help!

Quick Reply: Are there shorter spark plugs. One is to long with new headers.Please help!