C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Car won't start, but it does "click" -- dead battery??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 02:02 AM
BAdAzZV8
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Car won't start, but it does "click" -- dead battery?? (DougSilver)

I think there's probably a rule about not working on my car here, but I don't follow that. I've spent many a days working on my car in the parking lot, I don't care if they don't like it. I pay rent here, I'll do what I want. I've changed rims so many times, changed out plugs and wires, messed with intake, ported MAF, fixed a thing on my motorcycle.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:59 AM
traxx1
Racer

Default Re: Car won't start, but it does "click" -- dead battery?? (94vette)

Do a simple test first before you really start to spending money, run a wire from your small post on your starter long enough to reach the positive post of your battery, when you get this dead CLICK and nothing happens leave the key on and touch the wire from the starter to the positive post of the battery,this bypasses the dash, if it fires up your problem is in the dash (ignition switch,theft relay) if it doesn't start then your problem is under your hood. :jester :jester :jester :jester :jester
Old 04-04-2002, 11:33 AM
YLO Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 66 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Re: Car won't start, but it does "click" -- dead battery?? (DougSilver)

Bogus,

Yeah, I have towing insurance for up to $40, so that will help. I just increased the limit to $80, so next time I have to get a tow, it will be covered 100%.

Doug,

The starter is a remanufactured AC/Delco unit with a lifetime warranty. Don't know why it's so cheap, and I'm not asking, either ;) .
Old 04-04-2002, 12:29 PM
Badluck33
Racer

Default Re: Car won't start, but it does "click" -- dead battery?? (bogus)

Um, lets see..... this happened to me a year ago in my school parking lot and i was scared half to death. I was just about to run inside to call for the tow truck and my buddy ran the gears from Park to 1st gear (automatic) and back to park and crazy enough it started. wierd or what? :jester
Old 04-04-2002, 09:35 PM
levettegrl
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran

funny, this JUST happened to me tonight! I have barely 9K miles on the car, battery won't hold a charge. Keep getting jumped everywhere we go tonight (with the local corvette club) they are all teasing me 'cause I have this new car and no charge! Just clicks. I charge it and it's reading 14 volts! Stop the car, within 2 min, just clicks again.

Guess that means a dead cell or the starter is gone huh? Are either covered under warranty?

Just got all these mods done on my car and ready to cruise it and what do you know!

-Leslie
Old 04-04-2002, 09:43 PM
Voltech_LT4
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I had the same problem on my old 92 vette with the clicking, it turned out to be an oil leak causing the connection to be bad.(found that out after I bought a new starter...(that was my first guess)). I paid about $150 for the starter if i remember right.
vr,
Volt :smash:
Old 04-04-2002, 09:46 PM
Voltech_LT4
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Default Re: Car won't start, but it does "click" -- dead battery?? (levettegrl)

thats ok levette, dont feel bad, I just bought my 96 LT4 with only 14k miles and I found an oil leak, possibly a head gasket or intake gasket.. :( This is not from abuse, you could eat of this engine, but the previous owner didnt drive it enough so the gasket dried out! ouch! :eek:
Old 04-05-2002, 09:40 AM
levettegrl
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Car won't start, but it does "click" -- dead battery?? (Voltech_LT4)

hey voltech-never thought about that, a gas leak, hummm...gonna go out and check. my gauge IS showing my oil is low....Leslie
Old 04-05-2002, 01:13 PM
YLO Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 66 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Re: Car won't start, but it does "click" -- dead battery?? (levettegrl)

Ok, got the car back this AM. New starter was actually $298, not $106 :eek: !! But, since the service manager quoted me $106 the entire time, he had to give me that price :D . So he had to eat $200 on the starter. Sorry, not my fault. :blueangel: I'd be pissed if he charged me $298 for a reman. starter, anyway. But, as it is, I am satisfied :yesnod: :cool:.

Quick Reply: Car won't start, but it does "click" -- dead battery??