C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help o2 sensors keep failing!!! again!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:28 PM
ChrisLT1conv
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help o2 sensors keep failing!!! again!!

Ok. the delphi failed after 5k miles.

I got an ac delco. it failed almost immediatly.

I am the same guy who kept shooting o2 sensors

what can cause o2 sensors to fail???

can injectors?
loss of compression in a cylinder??
computer??
bad plugs??

I'm pulling my hair out.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:58 PM
ChrisLT1conv
Instructor

Ok. I'm a little calmer.
Brief history.

I bought the car in february.

I drove it about 2k miles with no problems. Did a tune up and took the factory plugs and wires off. after this it has liked o2 sensors eating 6 in the past few months. The delphi lasted 5 k miles the others didnt fare so well. I did remove the screen infront of the maf when i did the tune up. Could this be the problem. Could i have a bad plug? will these cause an o2 sensor to fail? The side that keeps failing is the same side i hear the infamous lt1 piston slap on. the noise gets pretty quite when warm and dissapears when any gas is given to the car. i also feel a weak spot in the idle. Plug maybe or loss of compression?
Old 10-22-2010, 05:46 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Coolant leaks from a bad head gasket can cause O2s to fail, but I always question the diagnostic process when I hear about such repeated failures.
If you like, many others, interpret an O2 fault code as "failure" of the sensor you are in error. The correct way to troubleshoot is to follow the procedure in the Factory Service Manual for the specific code recorded.
"Lean or rich exhaust exhaust indicated" codes can be caused by incorrect fuel pressure, plugged injectors or misfires, and any sensor code can be generated by wiring or connector problems or a bad ECM, running the tests indicated in the FSM is the only correct way to isolate the root cause of the DTC.
Other problems such as misfire or oil consumption can cause sensors to soot up rapidly which can set a code, replacing the sensor may temporarily turn off the SES light but it will return when the new sensor becomes fouled. Repairing the root cause of the fouling will eliminate the "repeated failure" of the sensor. Many "failed" sensors work fine once the source of fouling is eliminated and the sensor heats up enough to burn off the coating.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:57 AM
ChrisLT1conv
Instructor

h64 is the code it always gives.

the car starts running a lil rough the it begins looding on the passenger sie only it gets wrse until it lights up check engine and ses the h64 code. I am trying to igure out what is the root of the problem
Old 10-22-2010, 09:37 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't have a 94 FSM, but assuming it is the same as my 93 code 64 is for Right Bank O2 sensor lean exhaust indicated.
Follow the flow chart for the code in your book, possibilities include contaminated fuel, a plugged injector, low fuel pressure, exhaust leaks ahead of the O2 sensor, or an AIR system running in closed loop or the wiring/connector/ or PCM as previously mentioned.

It will help to have a scan tool to monitor O2 voltage. If you don't have a FSM or the basic tools for troubleshooting you may want to consider purchasing them, I'm guessing you could have some by by now with the money spent so far on sensors.

If you have no interest or desire to learn such things consider spending the money instead on a few hours of diagnostic time at a good Corvette specialty shop, throwing parts at a problem is rarely cost effective, good luck.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:09 AM
ChrisLT1conv
Instructor

thankyou for the insight. I do appreciate it greatly

Get notified of new replies

To Help o2 sensors keep failing!!! again!!

Quick Reply: Help o2 sensors keep failing!!! again!!