C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1992 Corvette LT1 not starting and speedo/dash not displaying

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 07:03 PM
McMillin
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Corvette LT1 not starting and speedo/dash not displaying

Hello,
This is my first time posting in the Corvetteforum.com. I'm a recent first time owner of a Corvette. I have a 1992 Corvette LT1. I am a proud owner and happy with my car except for the recent issues that are plagueing it. The speedo/dash will not display, it is just orange from the backlighting. Also sometimes it wont start, it will just click once and not turn over. Is that a possible starter/selinoid issue? As for the speedo and other information is that a computer related problem? Before the display completely went out I noticed that if I hit a "nice-sized bump" that it would become all jumbled and unreadable then go back to normal. Now it wont display anything at all in the speedo area. Any help would be helpful!

Thank you,
Mike
Old 10-27-2010, 08:37 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

You need a factory service manual (FSM) to work on the car yourself.
Some of it is plain old small block chevy, but with wiring issues the FSM is the book to have.

Do a search here for "dash grounds" and similar words. there are a few folks that have had the problem over the years.

Also make sure your battery is fully charged and is holding a full charge. Lots of problems crop up when the battery is not fully charged.

Good Luck
Old 10-27-2010, 09:02 PM
C4happy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at this for your speedo http://web.archive.org/web/200312071...=253&TopicID=2

As far as your starter problem it sound like low voltage problem at your starter and it could be a starter itself I would look at battery voltage when you are trying to start your car if battery voltage drops below 10.5V while starting its likely your battery is your issue if voltage is higher you eather have a battery cable problem or you starter you can preform a voltage drop test to check you battery cables if you would like to preform this test let me know I will write one up.

Last edited by C4happy; 10-27-2010 at 09:04 PM. Reason: used wrong word
Old 10-27-2010, 09:08 PM
jayr2k
Instructor

We just bought a 96 that had the display problem, I found a place in Richmond VA I believe they were called Southern electronics. I removed the cluster and mailed it away, about a week and $300(some places wanted upwards of$600) later it was good as new.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:09 PM
C4happy
Instructor

This is a great write up on Voltage drop testing to check you battery cables http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm
Old 10-27-2010, 09:16 PM
C4happy
Instructor

By the way welcome to Corvette Forum and I hope this helps you out.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:35 PM
jayr2k
Instructor

Originally Posted by C4happy
By the way welcome to Corvette Forum and I hope this helps you out.
Great avatar-DAMN IT PYLE!!!
Old 05-11-2018, 05:41 PM
macwade
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my ECM solder reflowed. Reinstalled in my 1992 LT1 and ran perfect for 4 weeks. On the way home the Vacuum booster blew its gasket. Got home using park brake. Replaced Master cylinder, vacuum booster and replaced all brake fluid, and fluid sensor. Brakes are great. Problem is the starter will not turn over. It has 12.8 volts and I can make it turn with a screwdriver crossing the terminals but still wont start. Other problem is the DIC does not come on, so no codes. Everything in car works, electrically. Its possible that I might have shorted something while doing this repair. Starter relay and fuel relays are good. All fuses are good. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn key. I have a key bypass and extra keys. I'm thinking that maybe the CCM was somehow damaged since it controls starter and the fuel. I did have to lower the steering column. any ideas?

Get notified of new replies

To 1992 Corvette LT1 not starting and speedo/dash not displaying

Quick Reply: 1992 Corvette LT1 not starting and speedo/dash not displaying