C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

GM Auto Computers

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 03:16 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Default GM Auto Computers

Last week I posted a thread about needing a prom for a 1995 Corvette ZR-1. Well, I noticed that GM Auto Computers was a forum sponser, so I figured what the hell, use them. The guy I talked to there didn't seem to be very helpfull, but I figured go ahead and order it anyway. Four days later it comes in. Now the car starts, but runs very rich, and throws a 41 code right away, along with a 51 code (again eprom). Clear it, right away comes back. Today I call them up, and the guy says, Code 41 means the "prom is not communicating with the BCM, not reading the vats. I say no, the code says the computer (ECM) is not accepting the PROM. He than suggests I find a mechanic who knows what he's doing. Since I'm on the cell, I hang up and call him up when I get back to the car. I call him up and read him the code verbatum from the service manual. At which point he tells me they sent me a good prom and they are not returnable, and to call someone else. Now I may indeed have a good prom and a bad computer (despite what the books says), but if you think you'll spend the extra money and use a Forum sponser because they are knowledgeable and helpfull, think again.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Lemme
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by zr1fred
Last week I posted a thread about needing a prom for a 1995 Corvette ZR-1. Well, I noticed that GM Auto Computers was a forum sponser, so I figured what the hell, use them. The guy I talked to there didn't seem to be very helpfull, but I figured go ahead and order it anyway. Four days later it comes in. Now the car starts, but runs very rich, and throws a 41 code right away, along with a 51 code (again eprom). Clear it, right away comes back. Today I call them up, and the guy says, Code 41 means the "prom is not communicating with the BCM, not reading the vats. I say no, the code says the computer (ECM) is not accepting the PROM. He than suggests I find a mechanic who knows what he's doing. Since I'm on the cell, I hang up and call him up when I get back to the car. I call him up and read him the code verbatum from the service manual. At which point he tells me they sent me a good prom and they are not returnable, and to call someone else. Now I may indeed have a good prom and a bad computer (despite what the books says), but if you think you'll spend the extra money and use a Forum sponser because they are knowledgeable and helpfull, think again.
Did you put the chip in the right way? You may just have to turn it around 180 degrees.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:00 PM
hgh pwr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would post on the zr1 forum ,you will get better results.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me it would be very simple, I would send them back the chip, call my credit card and report it as fraud because they sold me something that is not working and they refuse to return it
Old 11-19-2010, 01:09 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Here is an update on my prom from our sponsers here, GM Auto Computers. After being informed that the prom had been checked and verified as good before shipping, AND that they were non-returnable, even though they ADVERTISE here as having a warrantee, I send the prom to Marc Haibeck. He is a recognized expert on ZR-1's, and actually has his own proprietary chip for ZR-1's (he is NOT a sponser here). This is what he wrote about the chip......

"This calpack (prom) has the wrong cylinder select logic for a LT5.
The program chip (on the prom) is blank. All locations are set with FF."

In other words, it's the wrong prom , even though plainly lapled as for a 93-95 ZR-1. Furthermore it is obvious that the guy (I talked to on the phone, twice). LIED when he said it had been checked and verified as being correct and good before shipping.

I'm pondering my future actions against GM Auto Computers (It's not about the money, I just don't like getting screwed, lied to and belittled by a sponser here, or anywhere, actually). If you are even thinking about using these people be VERY carefull. And yes, I have documentation.

Last edited by zr1fred; 11-19-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:04 PM
larry93lt1
Drifting

Location: Gaithersburg MD A member since 2007 but then the computer crashed and then the car crash loss of memory X 2

It would appear, IMHO, you are in fact in the drivers seat.

You do have viable options at your disposal.

Although at present the car is not fully driveable I'm guessing it will be soon.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

UH OH! Posting a negative experience about a forum vendor........ it was nice having you as a member of the forum. Good luck getting your situation cleared up.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:31 PM
85VetteTerreHaute
Instructor

Send it back with confirmation, report fraud, and bad mouth them on every single forum you can find on the internet. Just my .02

Word of mouth goes fast with the internet... Can personally say I will not order anything from them because of this post alone!

Get notified of new replies

To GM Auto Computers

Quick Reply: GM Auto Computers