C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Write up on lowering wedge install instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 03:17 AM
LT4Sam
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Write up on lowering wedge install instructions?

I'm getting some used lowering wedges for my 96 LT4 in a couple days and they won't have any instructions. Any help on where they go? I'll be doing the spring and shocks at the same time if that helps.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 04-04-2002, 12:08 PM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Write up on lowering wedge install instructions? (LT4Sam)

Here's a quickie, try a search for "lowering" that might get better info than this. Refer to your shop/haynes manual for specifics.

1) Remove front spring. Requires removal of at least one tire and lower control arm. The spring clamp bolts were a PITA on mine, but rest was pretty straightforward.

2) Measure thickness of rubber bumper above spring, measure thickness of new wedge. Record the difference.

3) Use a hacksaw or similar tool to remove large rubber bumpers from top of spring. Be careful to not nick the spring. I used a hacksaw to get close and then a dull scraper for the rest of the rubber. Throw out any spacers between bumpers and frame.

4) Glue (I used waterproof contact cement, Barge Cement) the wedges to the frame crossmember where the old rubber bumper hit.

5) Using thickness measurement from step 2, cut that amount off of the aluminum spring clamp posts. Use the bits you cut off as spacers between the spring clamp and the nuts when reinstalling.

6) Re-install spring and suspension components, note that some torque values are to be applied with the suspension compressed.

That's the quick and dirty of it. I kept the instructions for my lowering kit, but mailed them to a Forum Member a few weeks ago. Maybe someone else can hook you with their old set. Good luck and don't plan on doing this in one easy afternoon.

PS - Be SURE to get the car high enough and far enough from any walls or immovable objects as the spring slides out to the side. I had my car on 3-ton jackstands under the jacking points and it was just high enough.

[Modified by BobMachus, 9:09 AM 4/4/2002]

Quick Reply: Write up on lowering wedge install instructions?