C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Winshield Washer Sprayers / Nozzles ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Amethyst643
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Winshield Washer Sprayers / Nozzles ???

Hey. This is a really dumb question (probably), but I just bought an '87 Corvette. The windshield washers work, but as far as I can tell the washer fluied doesn't come out whenever you put it on that setting. So I open the hood, looking around the base of the windshield, and I'm thinking... where are the nozzles!? So... where are the nozzles?? It's possible that they are missing, but I dunno...
Old 11-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Amethyst643
Racer

I also need to know what each bulb in my side-markers is supposed to be doing. I think someone who had the car before me messed up the wiring. The front-drivers and rear-passengers lamps aren't working at all. Please help!
Old 11-18-2010, 06:09 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The nozzles are up where the wiper blade attaches to the arms. The fluid should come out at right angles to the blades. If nothing is coming out, chances are that either the nozzles are plugged up, a hose is plugged, or the pump motor isn't working. It's also possible that the pickup at the bottom of the washer tank is clogged. It's also possible that the washer part of the wiper switch is bad.

You can use low pressure air to blow out the hoses but don't use more than 8-10 psi.

For the side marker lights. have you checked the bulbs? The orange front side markers will flash with the turn signals when the lights are off. With the lights on, the side markers flash alternately with the turn signal bulbs. This is typical of most all GM cars.

The front white cornering lights come on and stay steady when the turn signal is on and the headlamps are on.

At the rear, the red side markers just come on with the lights. The white lights are part of the backup lights. With the ignition in RUN and in Reverse, these lights will come on.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Amethyst643
Racer

THANKS! That was very descriptive, and exactly what I needed to know. I will try it out, and see what's going on with them all.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Amethyst643
Racer

The results? The winshield washer nozzles must be missing because, well they're just not there. As for the side markers, I'll try to figure out how to get power to the driver-side ones tomorrow. The passenger-side marker housing doesn't match the driver-side one, and the correct bulbs won't fit. I'm guessing someone replaced it with the wrong part! The far left tail light is out, so the turn signals on the whole driver's side won't blink until I replace it. Just not sure how to get to it yet...
Old 11-18-2010, 10:29 PM
HdRider04
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Amethyst643
The results? The winshield washer nozzles must be missing because, well they're just not there. As for the side markers, I'll try to figure out how to get power to the driver-side ones tomorrow. The passenger-side marker housing doesn't match the driver-side one, and the correct bulbs won't fit. I'm guessing someone replaced it with the wrong part! The far left tail light is out, so the turn signals on the whole driver's side won't blink until I replace it. Just not sure how to get to it yet...
Carefully... Look behind your license plate.. Scrapes and scratches are the badges of honor when replacing the bulbs
Old 11-19-2010, 12:05 AM
Amethyst643
Racer

There. Just changed the bulb. Only took a couple minutes. It was one of the outer bulbs, so I reached up in between the tire and the exhaust, just grazing the antenna motor.

Here's some pics of the area where my winshield wiper nozzels should be, if someone can confirm if they are there or not:

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2010, 04:22 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I've circled in red the washer hoses. Follow the ones up the wiper arms and let us know what they go to. Also in picture 2, follow the hose connected to the small circle and let us know where that goes after the tee for the other wiper.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Amethyst643
Racer

Okay. They lead to this clip towards the end of the wiper arm. Problem is, that's all there is. It doesn't have a hole or anything. Is there another part that goes where the clip is?

Old 11-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Amethyst643
Okay. They lead to this clip towards the end of the wiper arm. Problem is, that's all there is. It doesn't have a hole or anything. Is there another part that goes where the clip is?
No, that's it. If you look closely, there is a hole, actually three. If you disconnect the hose at the nipple at the base of the windshield and remove the arm, you can use the plastic tube from a spray cleaner to clear and check the nozzles on the bench.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Amethyst643
Racer

Thanks!! I finally found the holes, but I've got to add washer fluid to test it.

Get notified of new replies

To Winshield Washer Sprayers / Nozzles ???

Quick Reply: Winshield Washer Sprayers / Nozzles ???