C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What neutralizes battery acid?

Old 04-07-2002, 06:33 AM
snydcat
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What neutralizes battery acid?

I noticed this morning when I went out to the garage there was a small puddle of fluid on the floor under the battery. I popped the hood and sure enough the battery tray is full of fluid and it's already eating the paint off the metal bar under the tray. No more AC Delco batteries for me :nonod: What can I use to clean this mess up so the battery acid does'nt do anymore damage?

Thanks,
Rich
Old 04-07-2002, 06:48 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: What neutralizes battery acid? (snydcat)

Backing soda and lots of water. Go slowly at first as there may be a strong reaction if lots of acid.
Old 04-07-2002, 07:13 AM
snydcat
Racer

Default Re: What neutralizes battery acid? (65Z01)

Backing soda and lots of water. Go slowly at first as there may be a strong reaction if lots of acid.

Thank you ,
Rich
Old 04-07-2002, 08:02 AM
Darrell G
Racer

Default Re: What neutralizes battery acid? (snydcat)

Also if you want to get rid of the ugly acid stains on your garage floor, there's some stuff my wife used to remove rust stains from laundry. It's called rust remover. It's a dark brown bottle w/white lettering-found in the laundry stuff at the supermarket. It works great.
Old 04-07-2002, 08:49 AM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: What neutralizes battery acid? (Darrell G)

Use Arm & Hammer's Baking Soda. Mix 1 cup of water for every teaspoon. Wear eye protection (preferably safety glasses or atleast any type of glasses) and pour slowly over any areas that are suspect of having acid on it. Keep pouring the mixture over the areas until the fizzing sound stops. Then pour a little bit more and let it sit for 15 minutes. Next flush the area with regular tap water. Be sure not to get any of the solution around the battery vents or caps. If the solution enters the battery, it may permanently neutralize one or more of the cells.
Old 04-07-2002, 10:59 AM
snydcat
Racer

Default Re: What neutralizes battery acid? (Sharky Guam)

Use Arm & Hammer's Baking Soda. Mix 1 cup of water for every teaspoon. Wear eye protection (preferably safety glasses or atleast any type of glasses) and pour slowly over any areas that are suspect of having acid on it. Keep pouring the mixture over the areas until the fizzing sound stops. Then pour a little bit more and let it sit for 15 minutes. Next flush the area with regular tap water. Be sure not to get any of the solution around the battery vents or caps. If the solution enters the battery, it may permanently neutralize one or more of the cells.
Yep, that's what I did and it worked great :yesnod: I went ahead and got a new battery from Walmart with a 3 year free replcement (prorated after that) for $60. The AC Delco was leaking out of the positive terminal, I couldn't tell where it was leaking until I unscrewed it and the acid started flowing out big time.

Thanks,
Rich

Get notified of new replies

To What neutralizes battery acid?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What neutralizes battery acid?